• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Pax ordered X, extorted for XL

PilotInSac

second to last ride of tonight, stopped to pick up an uberX passenger.

I have a 3rd row SUV, so I do both X and XL.

I confirm name, then 4 passengers get in... I start trip on app, and before I put vehicle in gear, a 5th passenger gets in.

I tell them that they ordered an uberX, which is for up to 4 passengers, that they need to order an uberXL for 5 passengers.
one passenger tells me he's an uber driver as well, and that if I take all 5, they'll give me a "fat cash tip", or else they'll give me a 1-star rating.

Since I already started the ride, and it's only about 10 blocks, I gave in to their threat (maybe my greed too, meh).

When we get to the destination, they get out, but one stays in and tells me if I dont give them 5 stars, they'll give me a 1-star, so again, I gave in to them.
After I gave them the 5star, they laughed, and walked onto the restaurant without the promised tip (duh, only an idiot would have thought they'd follow through, right?)

At this point I'm pissed, so I park and walk in behind them, and ask them if they're going to leave me hanging like that. again they laugh and tell me to @@@@ off.
At this point I tell them I'm going to contact uber and report them, and leave.

I do one more short trip, then head home.
I fill out the problem-with-passenger page, and tell the story.

30 minutes later, I get a message from uber that these drunk asshats had reported ME for being under the influence, and my account is on hold for 48 hours pending investigation.

At this point I call support, explain what happened, confirmed it was the same pax that I'd reported already for feedback extortion, and she tells me this same uberX-uberXL extortion has been reported recently by other drivers, but that my account and driving privileges are still on hold pending a minimum of 48 hours to investigate.

I know I screwed up a couple of ways here, should have just cancelled the ride when 5 tried to get in (the 3 guys in the group WERE intimidating, though)
and I definitely shouldn't have followed them in to the destination, and letting them know I was going to contact uber was just dumb if me, too!

Has this happened to anyone else? (the uberX-uberXL part)

Seamus

I confirm name, then 4 passengers get in... I start trip on app, and before I put vehicle in gear, a 5th passenger gets in.

I tell them that they ordered an uberX, which is for up to 4 passengers, that they need to order an uberXL for 5 passengers.
one passenger tells me he's an uber driver as well, and that if I take all 5, they'll give me a "fat cash tip", or else they'll give me a 1-star rating.

Since I already started the ride, and it's only about 10 blocks, I gave in to their threat (maybe my greed too, meh).

When we get to the destination, they get out, but one stays in and tells me if I dont give them 5 stars, they'll give me a 1-star, so again, I gave in to them.
After I gave them the 5star, they laughed, and walked onto the restaurant without the promised tip (duh, only an idiot would have thought they'd follow through, right?)

At this point I'm pissed, so I park and walk in behind them, and ask them if they're going to leave me hanging like that. again they laugh and tell me to @@@@ off.

30 minutes later, I get a message from uber that these drunk asshats had reported ME for being under the influence, and my account is on hold for 48 hours pending investigation.

At this point I call support, explain what happened, confirmed it was the same pax that I'd reported already for feedback extortion, and she tells me this same uberX-uberXL extortion has been reported recently by other drivers, but that my account and driving privileges are still on hold pending a minimum of 48 hours to investigate.

I know I screwed up a couple of ways here, should have just cancelled the ride when 5 tried to get in (the 3 guys in the group WERE intimidating, though)
and I definitely shouldn't have followed them in to the destination, and letting them know I was going to contact uber was just dumb if me, too!

I do just X now but used to do X/XL with a van. This is a common occurrence and there is an easy way to avoid these problems. Just do the ride and at the end report the problem with the ride that it should have been XL as they had 5 people and Uber will adjust the fare to XL rate. Problem solved.

LAWeasel

You started the trip. You saw where they were going (it was short). An XL upgrade wouldn't have paid much more. A fat tip makes no sense and is likely a lie (it was)

Drive 10 feet.
Hit "end trip for @@@@@@Nozzle"
App will ask if you want to cancel trip.
Yes.
No ding to your rating and assholes can wait for another ride.

The Texan

I do just X now but used to do X/XL with a van. This is a common occurrence and there is an easy way to avoid these problems. Just do the ride and at the end report the problem with the ride that it should have been XL as they had 5 people and Uber will adjust the fare to XL rate. Problem solved.
^ This, I've only been driving Fubar ~ 8 wks; but after reading about this on here, I have upgraded on the app myself at least 3 times, and w/i hours, got the XL fare.
I think all 3 times I informed the riders I was going to do this as well, but the advice is not to even mention it though, and just do it. Not once did Fubar reply ask, did you inform the driver? So next time I probably won't even mention it, take the xtra passengers, and put in the upgrade.

I hope you get reactivated soon, extortion sux.

Uber1010

Stop running after cash. Just follow the rules. You Supposed to cancel if you didn't. like. Uber jerks knows how many seats you have. They never care of the drivers ...their interest are to take their cut ... You just empower UBER to trate you as disposable garbage that's why you got disconnected. ... Next time cancel the ride for anything you not like before pax are in the car....

UberAdrian

Should have waited out the timer while calling the police. Do you not have a dashcam? You can still have them charged with extortion if you have the footage.

"Extortion is a serious criminal offence with a maximum penalty of imprisonment for life. However, many people don't realize how broad the offence of extortion is, and assume it is only committed by violent actions such as pointing a gun to someone's head and asking them to do something such as pay a drug debt. "

Another Uber Driver

I tell them that they ordered an uberX, which is for up to 4 passengers, that they need to order an uberXL for 5 passengers.one passenger tells me he's an uber driver as well, and that if I take all 5, they'll give me a "fat cash tip", or else they'll give me a 1-star rating.
Four people board.

"Do we have everyone?"

If "yes", lock doors, open trip. If "no" cancel trip, "Too Many Riders", invite customers to leave. If they balk, pick up telephone, call 911.

What is sad is that you could not have demanded to see the long green before you moved the vehicle. When they complain, there is a check box for "driver demanded cash". These [rectal apertures] would have checked it. At best, Uber would take the amount out of your hide and send you a nastygram warning you never to do that again. At worst, it would be de-activation, no questions asked.

You have made one mistake, already. Do not compound it by making more. Tell the passenger remaining that the ride has ended and he may now leave the vehicle. Remind him that how the driver rates is the driver's business. If he balks, pick up telephone and call 911.

People who say and do things such as what you described are going to one-star you anyhow.

After I gave them the 5star, they laughed, and walked onto the restaurant without the promised tip

I am surprised that they did not trash your car, kick your seats and slam your doors.

You let your anger get the better of you. You made a bad situation worse then made a worse situation the worst.

I got hustled like that---ONCE. That was all that it took. I was angry, as well, but let it go. It never happened again. Any time that a customer asked for something outrageous, I simply declined. When they made all of these promises, I simply told them that I had heard it all before and it never made it to reality. Even in the cab, if you demand a tip, the customer will state that you tried to overcharge him. In recent years, thanks to a cab-driver hating Chair and hotel and restaurant representatives on the then-Taxicab Commission, they made a rule that prohibited drivers from asking for a tip. Even before that rule, though, I figured out pretty quickly what [rectal apertures] who make outrageous demands do.

You tell them that it ain't happ'nin' and ask them what they want. If they repeat their demand, you invite them to leave. If they balk, do not argue, do not threaten, simply pick up the telephone, call 911, inform the call taker that you have unruly passengers who are refusing to leave your vehicle.

Understand this: you were in the right and these were [rectal apertures]. Unfortunately, only most of us and you will see it that way. Sadly, we ain't the one that you must convince. Those whom you must convince are those who see it only the customer's way.

I do not drive XL, so what you describe has not happened to me. Despite that, I have had many outrageous demands from customers coupled with offers of outlandish remuneration. Unless it is shoved in my nose unbidden, I decline every time. The one exception might be where the customer asks something similar to "will X dollars get me this?" Those people, as a rule, will come across IMMEDIATELY once you answer in the affirmative. For those who do not, a stare is all that it takes to get it out of the wallet. To the one or two who have said "allright, I'll get it to you when we get there", I simply tell them never to mind, I am not interested any more.

Uber1010

Should have waited out the timer while calling the police. Do you not have a dashcam? You can still have them charged with extortion if you have the footage.

"Extortion is a serious criminal offence with a maximum penalty of imprisonment for life. However, many people don't realize how broad the offence of extortion is, and assume it is only committed by violent actions such as pointing a gun to someone's head and asking them to do something such as pay a drug debt. "
The company it it's self criminals. They bribery and corupt every one are in their way. ...your leadership are controlled by all of this mega corporation. ...when you intend to say something your words are like dust in the wind ....

mrpjfresh

Sorry you had to deal with this scum. We all have to learn on the job so to speak. Lots of rookie mistakes to correct here, but it's how you learn.

- It is a good rule of thumb to not start the ride until all riders are in.
- As long as you don't move the car very far, ending the trip almost always results in the trip not being long enough and asks if you'd like to cancel which won't allow them to rate
- If any rider threatened me like that (it's never happened yet) the ride would be over regardless. 1 star and immediately go offline and report to Uber as the first to report seems to matter.
- Promises of tips are just that: promises. And anyone who uses the phrase "fat tip" is 100% a liar and a @@@@@@ to boot
- If you are worried or intimidated by riders, have some strategy and self-defense item for absolute worst case scenarios.
- Upgrading an X ride to XL with Uber (not Lyft) is as "simple" as sending a message to support. This only applies to XL vehicles if not obvious
- You very rarely should get out of your vehicle in this gig. There are exceptions but it is a good rule of thumb. Avoid escalating
- 2 way dash cam: a little public shaming would be good for intimidating thugs such as these should you be deactivated by their lies

Seamus

^ This, I've only been driving Fubar ~ 8 wks; but after reading about this on here, I have upgraded on the app myself at least 3 times, and w/i hours, got the XL fare.
I think all 3 times I informed the riders I was going to do this as well, but the advice is not to even mention it though, and just do it. Not once did Fubar reply ask, did you inform the driver? So next time I probably won't even mention it, take the xtra passengers, and put in the upgrade.

I hope you get reactivated soon, extortion sux.
Yes, no need to mention it because every time I looked only my money was adjusted. They never went back and charged the rider anyway.

LyftUberFuwabolewa

You started the trip. You saw where they were going (it was short). An XL upgrade wouldn't have paid much more. A fat tip makes no sense and is likely a lie (it was)

Drive 10 feet.
Hit "end trip for @@@@@@Nozzle"
App will ask if you want to cancel trip.
Yes.
No ding to your rating and assholes can wait for another ride.
You don't even have to drive 10 ft. You can cancel right away anyway. Just end the trip and it'll ask if you want to cancel. If your spidey sense starts acting up it's best to cancel.