Pax not wearing seatbelt?

A Morgan

My car makes a lot of noise objections if the front passenger does not have the seatbelt on so for that seat they absolutely need to belt up. The back seat I don't have a ton of control over but if there are minors I always ask if the kids are belted before I move. I think on most rides everyone is belted up at least in the beginning but at night sometimes couples get going and the belts come off.

Just Another Uber Drive

It's the law and everyone knows it. The driver gets the ticket so it is not negotiable.

I ask if everyone is belted in before I start moving. People are generally cooperative with seat belt requests, at least in my experience. A lot do forget if not reminded though. A generation who grew up with seat belts has no excuse for not immediately belting in.

Had at least one guy who thought seat belt laws didn't apply to Uber. He also thought open containers were cool too. Sorry, no diplomatic immunity.

mandreyka

It's the law and everyone knows it. The driver gets the ticket so it is not negotiable.

I ask if everyone is belted in before I start moving. People are generally cooperative with seat belt requests, at least in my experience. A lot do forget if not reminded though. A generation who grew up with seat belts has no excuse for not immediately belting in.

Had at least one guy who thought seat belt laws didn't apply to Uber. He also thought open containers were cool too. Sorry, no diplomatic immunity.
Ya these pax think it's cool to drink and do whatever they want in an uber, that is just the way it is.

Seatbelt tickets go to each individual person in the car who is not wearing it, in the case of a minor it would go to the parent if they are present.

Always make sure kids are buckled up

Just Another Uber Drive

Ya these pax think it's cool to drink and do whatever they want in an uber, that is just the way it is.

Seatbelt tickets go to each individual person in the car who is not wearing it, in the case of a minor it would go to the parent if they are present.

Always make sure kids are buckled up
So in our situation an unbelted pax in the backseat would get the ticket and not the driver?

mandreyka

So in our situation an unbelted pax in the backseat would get the ticket and not the driver?
Yep, we had one of our crew truck at work that had 5 passengers and only the driver had his belt on.

Every passenger got tickets, the driver didn't

Had a conversation with a family friend who is a cop about open containers

Basically it is illegal to have but if you ever get pulled over and a pax has one act like you never saw it and you will be fine, they can and will site the pax.

I don't let pax bring beer cans or bottles, but if they have a cup with a lid on it I let it go. It's not my job to be a babysitter.

I'm over battling bringing drinks in the car and I will stop for food sometimes for certain pax but wont let them eat in the car

Just Another Uber Drive

Yep, we had one of our crew truck at work that had 5 passengers and only the driver had his belt on.

Every passenger got tickets, the driver didn't

Had a conversation with a family friend who is a cop about open containers

Basically it is illegal to have but if you ever get pulled over and a pax has one act like you never saw it and you will be fine, they can and will site the pax.

I don't let pax bring beer cans or bottles, but if they have a cup with a lid on it I let it go. It's not my job to be a babysitter.

I'm over battling bringing drinks in the car and I will stop for food sometimes for certain pax but wont let them eat in the car
Well that's good to know. I thought the driver got the ticket in these situations. Thanks for the clarification.

Maybe I won't insist they buckle up as it's funny to see them fly around when I slam on the breaks in a GTFO situation. Teehee.

Just kidding... I make them jump out while the car is still moving.

mandreyka

Well that's good to know. I thought the driver got the ticket in these situations. Thanks for the clarification.

Maybe I won't insist they buckle up as it's funny to see them fly around when I slam on the breaks in a GTFO situation. Teehee.

Just kidding... I make them jump out while the car is still moving.
Ya keep the car moving,it saves the brakes and on gas

WMUber

This is the grey area not addressed by statute...

Taxis, Limos, or any vehicle regulated by the PUC are exempt from seat belt laws. Only the passenger in the front seat or any passenger under 16 is required to wear a seat belt. And yes, for driver safety, the driver does not have to wear a seat belt (the theory is, for his safety he may have to exit the vehicle in a hurry).

Here is the grey area. Uber is regulated via TNC through the PUC. But, rideshare is not specifically addressed by statute. This means some judges will rule in your favor, some not.

But let us remember, any occupant over 16 is responsible for their citation. And since we are not allowed to take unaccompanied minors, we do not have to worry about the under 16 crowd. The ticket would go to the adult responsible for the minor.

So for me, adults I do not care unless they are in the front. For children, it is buckle up before I move.