Pax made me a tiny bit upset for once.

Young Kim

It takes a whole lot to get me annoyed, but I did (a little bit) after a conversation. Pickup up pax in Chicago wealthy North Shore and drove him downtown. He looked like he was in his late twenties. We started by talking about young people having a hard time finding work in general. Then he suddenly started up with blaming everything on Trump. I agreed with him Trump has character flaws. He kept going off about how Trump is ruining the country and turning us into a third world nation. I often have my guard up completely and walk/talk softly when it comes to politics with pax. So I tried to be as gentle as possible.

I did agree with him that our country has problems, but we are a great and wonderful nation. He answered back something like, "No, we are a stupid country with stupid people who elected Trump as our president", and then said something that somehow irritated me. He said something like, "I am ashamed to be American and if Trump does get re elected, I'm moving out to Canada". And then, "So many other countries are far better and people want to live there".

I very carefully pointed out that the U.S. still has the highest immigration by far, so there must be at least some people who like to come here. And I did point out to him in a respectful way that if he is going to move into another country he has to have money/and or skills. I did ask him what he did for work, and he said he was out of work now, but his last job was retail in Old Orchard Shopping Center. And he did say he lives with his parents and has little money.

He said that under Trump the U.S. has lost its status in the world, and started demeaning so many things. I nicely and kindly pointed out that the U.S. is still leading the world in many areas like high technology (Silicon Valley), educational institutions like the Ivy League, great movies, sports, and the military. He countered a story that I am not right about the military, like the Air Force. He said when he went to Israel, he talked to the Israeli Air Force and said their Air Force was vastly superior to that of the U.S.

So, I looked at him in the rear view mirror, and asked, "If there was an plane battle with ALL planes, would you take the U.S. Air Force or the Israeli Air Force? (I just wanted to see what he would say...I know such a thing would never happen between two friendly nations)" And then he replied that, "No doubt the Israeli Air Force". I pointed out to him that the U.S. Air Force is probably ten times larger (I didn't know off the top of my head). He responded back, "But the Israeli Air Force pilots are much better trained." To which I replied, "Maybe, I have no idea, but the U.S. Air Force is not some third world country trained group, and the U.S. probably has hundreds of thousand of planes vs. tens of thousands of planes for Israel".

At this point, I was more curious that someone could be illogical. So I pressed a tiny bit more... I asked him, "Then do you think that in the middle of the Pacific, if there was an air battle, then say 30,000 Israeli pilots could take down say 300,000 U.S. Air Force pilots?" (I know that such a battle would NEVER occur because the U.S. and Israel are close friends, but I asked just for a case example). I waited for it... and he answered, "No doubt, I'd bet on quality over quantity any day". So concluded with saying on the subject, "Sir, you may be right that quality is better... all things being equal, but quantity DOES matter. In an air battle over the ocean, there are not many places to hide except the clouds". (I told him that I have no doubt that Israel has an incredibly trained Air Force).

The subject came back again to Trump, and I wanted to make sure at this point that I didn't upset up, because I really don't like to argue with pax. When he said that under Obama the economy surged and under Trump the GDP was negative, and now plunged... I very nicely pointed out the facts. I told him that GDP growth was actually positive in every year Trump was in office, and the negative GDP numbers was due to Covid. I just gently told him that he has valid criticisms about Trump and told him he should tell all his friends to vote, As we came towards his destination, I steered the conversation into a friendly one about the Chicago Bulls.

I don't know about you guys, but whenever pax say something TOTALLY illogical, I like to carefully steer their logic in the right direction WITHOUT upsetting them. I think this is hard to do, and maybe it is a lot easier to keep quiet and just nod silently. But sometimes driving for a while can get boring. And when a pax says something so obviously wrong, I'll point to their mistakes. In this case, I got slightly annoyed and had to check myself when the pax trashed the U.S. the country and its citizens. I wondered if he hates it so much, he should leave. A lot of people would like to come here, in spite of all America's flaws...

Wildgoose

I don't know about you guys, but whenever pax say something TOTALLY illogical, I like to carefully steer their logic in the right direction WITHOUT upsetting them. I think this is hard to do, and maybe it is a lot easier to keep quiet and just nod silently. But sometimes driving for a while can get boring. And when a pax says something so obviously wrong, I'll point to their mistakes. In this case, I got slightly annoyed and had to check myself when the pax trashed the U.S. the country and its citizens. I wondered if he hates it so much, he should leave. A lot of people would like to come here, in spite of all America's flaws...
This is what you are doing is wrong. He is not your friend and you don't have to discuss with him about politics. Moreover, you don't need to change the way he see things. Adults always believe they are right. So it is better not trying to change their beliefs. We can use imaginary third person into discussion. Like I had a passenger before who said this, who see things this way. Something like that. Think of yourself as a surveyor. This passenger sees things this way and that passenger sees that way. This is the interesting parts. Always try to support to their sides. You will see how they see more and more.

Young Kim

This is what you are doing is wrong. He is not your friend and you don't have to discuss with him about politics. Moreover, you don't need to change the way he see things. Adults always believe they are right. So it is better not trying to change their beliefs. We can use imaginary third person into discussion. Like I had a passenger before who said this, who see things this way. Something like that. Think of yourself as a surveyor. This passenger sees things this way and that passenger sees that way. This is the interesting parts. Always try to support to their sides. You will see how they see more and more.

@Wildgoose my buddy. Perhaps you are right. But what I didn't like was how he was trashing the American public. It wasn't about politics. But yeah it's probably easier just to keep quiet.

Westerner

It takes a whole lot to get me annoyed, but I did (a little bit) after a conversation. Pickup up pax in Chicago wealthy North Shore and drove him downtown. He looked like he was in his late twenties. We started by talking about young people having a hard time finding work in general. Then he suddenly started up with blaming everything on Trump. I agreed with him Trump has character flaws. He kept going off about how Trump is ruining the country and turning us into a third world nation. I often have my guard up completely and walk/talk softly when it comes to politics with pax. So I tried to be as gentle as possible.

I did agree with him that our country has problems, but we are a great and wonderful nation. He answered back something like, "No, we are a stupid country with stupid people who elected Trump as our president", and then said something that somehow irritated me. He said something like, "I am ashamed to be American and if Trump does get re elected, I'm moving out to Canada". And then, "So many other countries are far better and people want to live there".

I very carefully pointed out that the U.S. still has the highest immigration by far, so there must be at least some people who like to come here. And I did point out to him in a respectful way that if he is going to move into another country he has to have money/and or skills. I did ask him what he did for work, and he said he was out of work now, but his last job was retail in Old Orchard Shopping Center. And he did say he lives with his parents and has little money.

He said that under Trump the U.S. has lost its status in the world, and started demeaning so many things. I nicely and kindly pointed out that the U.S. is still leading the world in many areas like high technology (Silicon Valley), educational institutions like the Ivy League, great movies, sports, and the military. He countered a story that I am not right about the military, like the Air Force. He said when he went to Israel, he talked to the Israeli Air Force and said their Air Force was vastly superior to that of the U.S.

So, I looked at him in the rear view mirror, and asked, "If there was an plane battle with ALL planes, would you take the U.S. Air Force or the Israeli Air Force? (I just wanted to see what he would say...I know such a thing would never happen between two friendly nations)" And then he replied that, "No doubt the Israeli Air Force". I pointed out to him that the U.S. Air Force is probably ten times larger (I didn't know off the top of my head). He responded back, "But the Israeli Air Force pilots are much better trained." To which I replied, "Maybe, I have no idea, but the U.S. Air Force is not some third world country trained group, and the U.S. probably has hundreds of thousand of planes vs. tens of thousands of planes for Israel".

At this point, I was more curious that someone could be illogical. So I pressed a tiny bit more... I asked him, "Then do you think that in the middle of the Pacific, if there was an air battle, then say 30,000 Israeli pilots could take down say 300,000 U.S. Air Force pilots?" (I know that such a battle would NEVER occur because the U.S. and Israel are close friends, but I asked just for a case example). I waited for it... and he answered, "No doubt, I'd bet on quality over quantity any day". So concluded with saying on the subject, "Sir, you may be right that quality is better... all things being equal, but quantity DOES matter. In an air battle over the ocean, there are not many places to hide except the clouds". (I told him that I have no doubt that Israel has an incredibly trained Air Force).

The subject came back again to Trump, and I wanted to make sure at this point that I didn't upset up, because I really don't like to argue with pax. When he said that under Obama the economy surged and under Trump the GDP was negative, and now plunged... I very nicely pointed out the facts. I told him that GDP growth was actually positive in every year Trump was in office, and the negative GDP numbers was due to Covid. I just gently told him that he has valid criticisms about Trump and told him he should tell all his friends to vote, As we came towards his destination, I steered the conversation into a friendly one about the Chicago Bulls.

The facts as you see them. You WILL NOT change anyone's mind. I would have ignored him, it isn't worth it.

ColdRider

He's in his late twenties, lives with his parents and his last job was in retail. Yup, he's right to blame the president and not himself for the terrible life choices he's made.

If he goes to Canada, I say good riddance. He's obviously too fragile to succeed in this country.

Iann

The Pax is right though. Trump has turned this country into a 3rd world country.
Look at how all the white supremacist are fully out and about not hiding their hatred. This was not a issue when Obama was POTUS.
It's embarrassing what he has done to this place.
Other countries hate us think we're all stupid. Go to another county with American flag patch on your backpack and see how hated we really are.

UberChiefPIT

The Pax is right though. Trump has turned this country into a 3rd world country.
Look at how all the white supremacist are fully out and about not hiding their hatred. This was not a issue when Obama was POTUS.
It's embarrassing what he has done to this place.
Other countries hate us think we're all stupid. Go to another county with American flag patch on your backpack and see how hated we really are.
^ NPC.

There's a famous quote, I won't bother attributing it atm. But here goes:

"If you walk into a room of 100 people and believe everyone else there to be an a------, then the actual a------ in the room is you."

I'm a 2-war veteran, and if you really think USA has been turned into a 3rd world country, I have a bunch of pictures to show you from ACTUAL 3rd world countries, full of people who absolutely love us. Your freedom to turn on CNN and rage along with them about "orange man bad" is an actual testament to how 1st world we truly are, sheltered YOU are, and yes...you, sir, are the a------ in the room.

Johnny Mnemonic

"I am ashamed to be American and if Trump does get re elected, I'm moving out to Canada".
If only they kept their promises.

celebs-moving-to-canada-if-trump-is-elected-americas-election-22575198.png

The Gift of Fish

Solution: don't talk to pax. If they say anything that isn't directly related to their ride, shut them down immediately.

cumonohito

In order to minimize problems, and reduce chances of escalating things into arguments, always always agree with the passenger and never ever try to correct them or counter their comments. When I drove, as far as my passengers are concerned I was a Democrat, Republican, religious person, atheist, pro/against guns/abortion/drugs/alcohol.

Along with the above, never really give personal information. I'm married/single/divorced. Have kids, no kids. Just play the situation to your advantage for tips purpose.

Good luck.

Last edited: