• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Pax Gender Pronouns

mark_mark

So Uber wants us to stop miss gendering Pax. Here’s a small list of suggested Gender Pronouns

• He/She -- Zie, Sie, Ey, Ve, Tey, E
  • Him/Her -- Zim, Sie, Em, Ver, Ter, Em
  • His/Her -- Zir, Hir, Eir, Vis, Tem, Eir
  • His/Hers -- Zis, Hirs, Eirs, Vers, Ters, Eirs
  • Himself/Herself -- Zieself, Hirself, Eirself, Verself, Terself, Emself
Post automatically merged:

Also, Pax should be refered to by Neutral gender pronouns. here’s a list:

• They/them/their/themself
  • tey/tem/ter/temself
  • ey/em/eir/emself
  • e/em/eir/emself
  • thon/thon/thons/thonself
  • fae/faer/faers/faerself
  • vae/vaer/vaers/vaerself
  • ae/aer/aers/aerself
  • ne/nym/nis/nymself
  • ne/nem/nir/nemself
  • xe/xem/xyr/xemself
  • xe/xim/xis/ximself
  • xie/xem/xyr/xemself
  • ze(or zie)/zir/zirs/zirself
  • zhe/zhir/zhirs/zhirself
  • ze/hir/hirs/hirself
  • sie/sier/siers/sierself
  • zed/zed/zeds/zedself
  • zed/zed/zeir/zedself
  • ce/cir/cirs/cirself
  • co/cos/cos/coself
  • ve/vis/vir/verself
  • jee/jem/jeir/jemself
  • lee/lim/lis/limself
  • kye/kyr/kyne/kyrself
  • per/per/pers/perself
  • hu/hum/hus/humself
  • bun/bun/buns/bunself
  • it/it/its/itself
You Are Welcome!

Last edited:

Spresko

I remember my first time when I was taking an order from a transgender woman at a restaurant.
I was like yes “ Maam I mean Sir, sure thing miss”
Good thing it was in Atlanta.

Last edited by a moderator:

signal11

I'm a chick who identifies as a Strawberry Poptart. Frosted, obviously. 😋 My pronouns are poptart, tart and strawbs. Have some respect.

But fo' real, I will refer to anyone how they like. Most people just want to see you trying to respect their wishes.
People want to be referred by to how they present. No need to ask pronouns, no trans person wants to be called out when they're read.

And really, how often do you need to refer to a pax with a pronoun, anyway?

Everyone in here has had interactions with transgender people and pax, you just didn't pick up on it. In my 2500 rides, I had over a dozen trans pax, maybe even close to twenty, only half of whom I was able to read. And I am much better at reading than most of you simply because I am more sensitive to the clues. Out of the dozens of rides I've taken as a pax, I can only think of once or twice that the driver knew, and that was only because of the nature of the conversation.

Direwolfismyspiritanimal

People want to be referred by to how they present. No need to ask pronouns, no trans person wants to be called out when they're read.

And really, how often do you need to refer to a pax with a pronoun, anyway?

Everyone in here has had interactions with transgender people and pax, you just didn't pick up on it. In my 2500 rides, I had over a dozen trans pax, maybe even close to twenty, only half of whom I was able to read. And I am much better at reading than most of you simply because I am more sensitive to the clues. Out of the dozens of rides I've taken as a pax, I can only think of once or twice that the driver knew, and that was only because of the nature of the conversation.
I agree, but you are simplifying. Not every trans person presents as obviously male/masculine or female/feminine as you seem to think. Androgeny is a thing and many transgender people seem to favor it. In some areas of the country it is expected to use "Sir" or "Ma'am" for anyone older than you so that can be hard when you barely get a chance to assess the situation before you have to use the title.

I have worked with 6-7 transgender people over the years that told me they were trans. I'm sure there were more but I have never asked. It's none of my business. I have been personally asked by a trans man that I worked with to use gender neutral terms for them even though they presented as quite masculine. I have also been asked personally to use gender neutral language for a woman who identified as a gay woman and I had no problem with either. Like I said, I will use whatever terms a person wants. I have only asked what someone wants to be referred to if they seem uncomfortable with what phrase I used for them. It's rare but it does happen. I don't want someone to be uncomfortable with me.

signal11

I agree, but you are simplifying. Not every trans person presents as obviously male/masculine or female/feminine as you seem to think. Androgeny is a thing and many transgender people seem to favor it. In some areas of the country it is expected to use "Sir" or "Ma'am" for anyone older than you so that can be hard when you barely get a chance to assess the situation before you have to use the title.

I have worked with 6-7 transgender people over the years that told me they were trans. I'm sure there were more but I have never asked. It's none of my business. I have been personally asked by a trans man that I worked with to use gender neutral terms for them even though they presented as quite masculine. I have also been asked personally to use gender neutral language for a woman who identified as a gay woman and I had no problem with either. Like I said, I will use whatever terms a person wants. I have only asked what someone wants to be referred to if they seem uncomfortable with what phrase I used for them. It's rare but it does happen. I don't want someone to be uncomfortable with me.
There's nothing I wrote to say that gender neutral pronouns aren't appropriate for some folks, just as some trans folks aren't gender binary. I live in a trans community coop. That's my community.

The post was more addressed to the type of people who make an issue of gender (such as Mark mark is attempting to in the thread) by oversimplication, on the first point. On the second, point, you simply don't have to say "sir" or "ma'am" in the context of a ride if it's not obvious. In this context, it's not rude. It's politely avoiding the subject unless the person in question opens the door for it.

K-pax

There's nothing I wrote to say that gender neutral pronouns aren't appropriate for some folks, just as some trans folks aren't gender binary. I live in a trans community coop. That's my community.

The post was more addressed to the type of people who make an issue of gender (such as Mark mark is attempting to in the thread) by oversimplication, on the first point. On the second, point, you simply don't have to say "sir" or "ma'am" in the context of a ride if it's not obvious. In this context, it's not rude. It's politely avoiding the subject unless the person in question opens the door for it.
I always thought referring to people as ‘you guys’ was gender neutral. Like, it never meant to me literally guys/men, when i was growing up. I kinda try to say folks or something like that esp when driving drag queens (I’ve slipped up before. They didn’t seem to get upset, but I was like ‘dangit!’ inside), trans, or women in general, Do you think ‘you guys’ is rude?
Post automatically merged:

who here gets paid enough to 'sir' and 'maam'? lmao
You can call me Sir K-Pax, thank ya very much!

SKuber

Sir K-Pax, I do the same. More then one pax I say guys or folks. Don't know (our care) how that could be offensive. One pax, I just use the name on the app unless it's something rediculous like "Swaggygirl" then I say nothing.

Direwolfismyspiritanimal

who here gets paid enough to 'sir' and 'maam'? lmao
It just comes out of me sometimes. It used to way more but I trained myself away from saying it because it's fairly unpopular/seen as strange to people here. Now I pretty much only say it with older people and people from the South. When women get all motherly I use Ma'am too.

It would be a lot easier if there was a formal gender neutral title equivalent to "Sir" and "Ma'am".

Gotcha. You were just simplifying because Mark's troll post was ridiculously complicated.

Mark is just our endearing local troll that wants to get an eye roll or giggle out of you. Give him a scratch under the chin and a VW bug and he will retreat back under the Aurora bridge to play.

signal11

I always thought referring to people as ‘you guys’ was gender neutral. Like, it never meant to me literally guys/men, when i was growing up. I kinda try to say folks or something like that esp when driving drag queens (I’ve slipped up before. They didn’t seem to get upset, but I was like ‘dangit!’ inside), trans, or women in general, Do you think ‘you guys’ is rude?
Drag queens are something different from trans people. Drag is a performance, not a matter of identity. Well, maybe it can be, but the majority of drag queens identify themselves as men, even though they can be more feminine than many trans women.

As for "you guys," it's a subject of some minor debate in the trans community, but considering the region, I personally think it's okay as a general form of address - it's what I do. OTOH, I also understand the gendered connotations of the phrase so if I'm addressing a mixed group with that I know include trans folks, I try to be mindful out of courtesy to say, "you folks" instead. And remember, there's nothing incorrect about using the second person plural "you," either.

Now "dude" on the other hand.... That one can be a doozy.

Brunch

Yes, that's true, but once I said that when talking to a group of female passengers and the response I got was they aren't guys... Hmmmm, thanks for letting me know. 🤪