Pax downrated me for Navigation issues

Jcewr17

IMG_4298.PNG
To offset the ridiculous prices of gas due to the hurricanes last week and this week, I been taking the longest routes possible and avoiding tolls as much as I can. Luckily, my rating didn't drop a bit but alas, today, I got my first passenger reported issue and guess what it was? Yeah that's right "Navigation". Also, I don't normally ask for tip but this week, I successfully implored almost half of my passengers to leave tips by actually talking to them and making their day a little better. (I usually just say hello and goodbye). Desperate times call for desperate measures. UberOn!

SuzeCB

View attachment 157880 To offset the ridiculous prices of gas due to the hurricanes last week and this week, I been taking the longest routes possible and avoiding tolls as much as I can. Luckily, my rating didn't drop a bit but alas, today, I got my first passenger reported issue and guess what it was? Yeah that's right "Navigation". Also, I don't normally ask for tip but this week, I successfully implored almost half of my passengers to leave tips by actually talking to them and making their day a little better. (I usually just say hello and goodbye). Desperate times call for desperate measures. UberOn!
Just tell Uber that you were using GPS navigation and that per their changes during this 180 days of change, any down rating for something beyond your control, such as GPS navigation, which is listed in the explanation that was given by Uber, does not stick. Remove whatever rating the passenger gave you because it was not supposed to be applied.

Jcewr17

If you take the long route. Expect the 1 star.

The pax are not dumb.

I have some pax with Waze on LOUD speaker. Just to let me know that they know which way to go. hahahaha
I think I can take a couple of hits without worrying too much about rating 4.96 and still under the 500 trips system :wink:. I use waze but I always switch to uber navi a couple of blocks from and to the pax because waze tends to act all stupid the last couple of blocks.

SuzeCB

The pax are not dumb.

I have some pax with Waze on LOUD speaker. Just to let me know that they know which way to go. hahahaha
I look for a longer way all the time, or at least when it's not going to be a minimum fair ride, but I explained to the packs that I am looking for something that will put on a mile or two that they are paying for with upfront pricing but that won't add time to the ride. Very often, the fastest route is also not the shortest.

Ardery

The pax are not dumb.

I don't understand why it even matters. since the passenger is given an up front price... their price doesn't change regardless of the route you take.

SuzeCB

I don't understand why it even matters. since the passenger is given an up front price... their price doesn't change regardless of the route you take.
Because they want to get there as quickly as possible. The thing with Waze is how customizable it is. I can tell it to avoid toll roads I can tell it to avoid freeways I can tell it to avoid long lights or difficult intersections. I can customize it to how I want to drive, even if I'm not sure of an area that I'm going to be driving in. The packs if they don't know how to use Waze, doesn't bother customizing it at all, and just use whatever the defaults are set at. If they do, they may have different settings than what you would choose. I have different settings that I use based on what I'm doing. If I am driving a route but I am looking to pick up a request along the way, I will avoid toll roads and freeways. This puts me on streets and roadways that I will be more likely to pick up passengers, and find it easier to get to them. These route are not usually as direct, however so when you get a packs in the car you want to reset the preferences to include freeways, and possibly even toll roads.

I had a packs in the car the other night that threw an absolute fit at the thought of me taking a particular street because it was a side street over a more main road. The reason ways was doing that was because to take the main road put us at a light where, if you catch the red, you will literally sit for 5 minutes. She felt that was acceptable. Since she was paying a 2.8 surge, I followed her directions from that point on.

Ardery

Because they want to get there as quickly as possible. The thing with Waze is how customizable it is. I can tell it to avoid toll roads I can tell it to avoid freeways I can tell it to avoid long lights or difficult intersections. I can customize it to how I want to drive, even if I'm not sure of an area that I'm going to be driving in. The packs if they don't know how to use Waze, doesn't bother customizing it at all, and just use whatever the defaults are set at. If they do, they may have different settings than what you would choose. I have different settings that I use based on what I'm doing. If I am driving a route but I am looking to pick up a request along the way, I will avoid toll roads and freeways. This puts me on streets and roadways that I will be more likely to pick up passengers, and find it easier to get to them. These route are not usually as direct, however so when you get a packs in the car you want to reset the preferences to include freeways, and possibly even toll roads.

I had a packs in the car the other night that threw an absolute fit at the thought of me taking a particular street because it was a side street over a more main road. The reason ways was doing that was because to take the main road put us at a light where, if you catch the red, you will literally sit for 5 minutes. She felt that was acceptable. Since she was paying a 2.8 surge, I followed her directions from that point on.
yeah, I know, my wife uses Waze. she's the queen with it. Google maps let's you avoid toll roads or highways too. but I've never seen an option to avoid intersections with long lights. seems like a cool option.

also, when driving between jersey city/Hoboken and Bayonne, I will strictly use the TP 14c to 14a.

I have gotten passengers that said "what are you doing!!" when they see me merging left to get onto the TP ramp. like it's voodoo.

it's only a gawdamn buck. I'm not about to spend 30-35 minutes taking Garfield or Kennedy, with the potholes, and the construction, for what will be a simple 10 minute ride using the TP.

Last edited:

UberwhoIaM

Just tell Uber that you were using GPS navigation and that per their changes during this 180 days of change, any down rating for something beyond your control, such as GPS navigation, which is listed in the explanation that was given by Uber, does not stick. Remove whatever rating the passenger gave you because it was not supposed to be applied.
That's only for pool....

I love reading that some drivers use the uber navigation instead of the others.... these same drivers are the first to complain that uber made a killing on the ride... it's utterly amazing

pvtandrewmalone

Do you want to maximize your rating or your profit? Think about which one puts money in your pocket vs. which one just makes you feel a little better.

I've noticed that most of my low ratings come from 2 minute minimum fares where I have no control over the route. You know the ones....typically XL trips in Belmar...they take longer to load and unload than the actual trip. Is it fair? No. Stop worrying about it. As long as you are over 4.50, it's as meaningless as your acceptance rate. There are sub-4.50 drivers out there too...some deserved, some not.

Uber actually cares more about your cancellation rating than anything else. Not how I would run the company, but it is what it is. Uber on!

freeFromUber

I think I can take a couple of hits without worrying too much about rating 4.96 and still under the 500 trips system :wink:. I use waze but I always switch to uber navi a couple of blocks from and to the pax because waze tends to act all stupid the last couple of blocks.
You're right, I also have found that WAZE does not work well with Uber's app...I'm sure that's intentional.

tohunt4me

View attachment 157880 To offset the ridiculous prices of gas due to the hurricanes last week and this week, I been taking the longest routes possible and avoiding tolls as much as I can. Luckily, my rating didn't drop a bit but alas, today, I got my first passenger reported issue and guess what it was? Yeah that's right "Navigation". Also, I don't normally ask for tip but this week, I successfully implored almost half of my passengers to leave tips by actually talking to them and making their day a little better. (I usually just say hello and goodbye). Desperate times call for desperate measures. UberOn!
LOWER RATES MEAN LONGER RIDES!

Mikey_D

I once had an Indian dude insist that I should drive the wrong way on a one way street because his phone GPS app was saying we should.

I pulled over the car and threatened to end the ride ... which put the kibosh on his antics.

SuzeCB

That's only for pool....

I love reading that some drivers use the uber navigation instead of the others.... these same drivers are the first to complain that uber made a killing on the ride... it's utterly amazing
Not only for pool. All Uber rides except Eats.
Screenshot_20170914-084333.jpg

You're right, I also have found that WAZE does not work well with Uber's app...I'm sure that's intentional.
Put in the address yourself separately

UberSchmuber

If you take the long route. Expect the 1 star. The pax are not dumb.
Some are dumb as stumps. It's fun though when they put on their GPS's to backseat drive. If I know it's not the person who ordered the ride, I just say "Some of us are better at Front Seat Driving than others..."

Uber Navi is much better then it used to be. I use it all the time.
I refuse to use Uber NAV. I will leave it open when I drive but already know the way I'm going. Their NAV is horrible, especially down the shore. I can't tell you how many times it still tries to send you the wrong way down one way streets and make left hand turns on major highways where there are no lefts allowed

pvtandrewmalone

The whole purpose of Uber Nav is to steer you to a route that makes you the least money while maximizing Uber's profit.

Use it on long trips only if you are okay with them taking a 50% commission.

I either use Waze or "go dark."