1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Pax complains about expensive fare

Discussion in 'Complaints' started by perry470, Jan 8, 2017.

1. perry470

perry470 Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Occasionally, some pax strike up conversation about how expensive Uber has gotten. My response is almost always "I only get half of it if I am lucky." They usually shut up after that. I don't trust the Fare being shown to me in Daily / Weekly Earnings anymore ever since some of the pax voluntarily tell me how much they paid for the upfront fare. They never match what I see on my screen, even after taking out the booking fee. They never match and ALWAYS in Uber's favor.

2. Trafficat

Trafficat Active Member

How do you know how much the rider paid?

I didn't think there was an "upfront fare" only an estimate. My guess is that they are getting an estimate that errs on the high side so that they are pleasantly surprised when it costs a little less. Maybe you choose less lengthy routes than the ones Uber uses as an estimate of cost.

I've had riders say they were going to wait for the fare to calculate before getting out until I told them it usually takes several minutes. Usually for me it says "processing last trip" for a good 10-15 minutes after a trip. Sometimes longer.

I believe at a minimum the $5 cancel fee is calculated correctly. I always get $3.75 and riders always tell me that they get charged $5 cancel fees.

I've told riders the per minute and per mile rates and never had a rider tell me they thought the numbers were off.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
    MidKnightHer likes this.
  3. Ubergirlzz

Ubergirlzz Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Never had a pax complain about the fee - usually it's the opposite, and they tell me how grateful they are for Uber and not having to pay the high taxi cab fees.

4. perry470

perry470 Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Is that a fact, that rider get charged less if the driver complete the trip with a better route? I was under the notion that Uber only adjust up and not down for the riders.

MidKnightHer likes this.
  5. Trafficat

Trafficat Active Member

I just found this article from <banned website guy> where drivers tested it out by doing trips for each other and comparing notes.

It looks like Uber may be charging customers for a longer route but only compensating the driver for the shorter route. Kinda crappy. Not only because we make less, but because we can mislead customers and probably get lower ratings if they know we drove less and they get charged for more miles. They probably think they are being overcharged by a scammy driver.

I've been telling pax I make 75% of what they pay. If they really pay a lot more than we see, then it makes it look like drivers make a lot more than we do, reducing tip incentives.

6. Trafficat

Trafficat Active Member

Using the Uber rider app I found a breakdown that says there is a Base fare of $2, a Booking fee of $1.70 and a Minimum Fare of $5

So $8.70 is the minimum amount a rider will pay for a zero distance trip.

I commonly get paid as little as $2.47 for a fare, so it does appear that for short trips I would make far less than 75%. That would be like 28%. Very interesting.

7. Trafficat

Trafficat Active Member

Okay, so I asked the rider app for an estimate to take me from my house to my neighbors house and it estimated $5. So maybe the booking fee and base fare are not in addition to the minimum fare. Still it seems off. If the minimum fare is $5, it seems the driver should make $3.75. But I guess the booking fee is subtracted from that, so that would probably a be a payout to the driver of $2.05?

I never really did understand why it is possible to make less for completing a trip than for being canceled on for a no-show. Doesn't that create a perverse incentive to cancel a trip as soon as the 5 minute mark elapses rather than waiting for a pax? I've commonly waited more than the 5 minutes for them to show up only to do a trip that pays less than the $3.75 I would have gotten if they canceled.

bobbybq likes this.
  8. GalinMcMahon

GalinMcMahon Active Member

No, the base fare goes towards the minimum. The fee goes straight to Uber though.

9. Trafficat

Trafficat Active Member

The booking fee is on top of the $5 minimum fare or included?

10. Mears Troll Number 4

Mears Troll Number 4 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Taxi
    Included....

11. ryan137

ryan137 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    $6.70, not $8.70. And of that, you only get $5 minus uber fee.

12. REX HAVOC

REX HAVOC Active Member

I just had a pax in my car yesterday and he made the comment that Uber lost a bunch of money in the last quarter. I asked him what he thought Uber should do to stop their bleeding. He said they need to raise their fares by at least 50 percent. I asked him if he'd still use the platform if prices went up. He said he would because he hates driving in cabs because their service is bad and their cars always stink whereas with Uber he drives in someones personal car and it's usually in much nicer condition and the drivers are much friendlier than the average cabbie.

kcdrvr15 likes this.
  13. mmmike

mmmike Active Member

Sadly they can't raise rates when there is competition (lyft, etc). To all raise prices would be collusion and that's illegal.

14. REX HAVOC

REX HAVOC Active Member

It's only collusion if both parties conspire to keep their prices at a certain price point. They are both free to lower or raise their prices at will.

ryan137 and Paul Vincent like this.
  15. Tnasty

Tnasty Active Member

Uber is a bunch of sleazeballs!

16. steveK2016

steveK2016 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    I'm curious though, has anyone confirmed what the pax actually was charged on their credit card?

It's one thing to see the upfront fee higher, another to even see what it shows after the trip... but it's final when it's charged. Has anyone actually confirmed that all these upfront fees aren't just adjusted to the proper level before they actual charge the account?

If not, would complaining about it, as a pax, get them to adjust the rates back to the normal driver/waybill advertised rates?

Exactly. Lyft would love for Uber to rate their prices, Lyft would raise their price too... probably to 10% lower than Uber, but no way would Lyft just be like "Well Uber just raised rates 50%... nah we'll stay wayyyy low anyways!" I mean, they could, but it's not their fault that there's only 2 rideshare options in most markets.

Just like gas stations on the same intersections typically compete with one another but even if they could, they rarely blow the other one out by lower than $0.05-0.10 a gallon.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  17. crazytown

crazytown Well-Known Member

Its pieces of a pie , how much of that pie is yours is up to you

18. Disgusted Driver

Disgusted Driver Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Flat rate is the fee Uber charges pax unless they add stops or long wait time. Driver gets paid mileage and time. Uber overestimates a little and pockets the difference. I think this might well be a breach of contract under the partners agreement but they are doing it. This is in addition to them cutting fares last year and then raising the booking fees. It all goes into their pocket and out of yours.

19. Jesusdrivesuber

Jesusdrivesuber Active Member

Their upfront fee scheme has reverted prices like they used to be except this time, uber pockets most of it.

So they lowered fares to "grab more clients", cut the driver's mile payment and now they undo it to increase their revenues without changing the 25% advertised to 40%.

Pure evil.

20. amp man

amp man Active Member

Well, gave a Lyft ride to a Lyft+ driver last week. He asked me to show me what Lyft charged him. He had just got through telling me that Lyft does indeed charge riders more than what drivers app says at end of trip. Sure enough. His displayed exactly $2.50 more.
    He said this happens on every Lyft ride. You think Uber is not doing the same, but in some more deceptive way? Probably should think again.

Ubergirlzz likes this.