Pax called me 2 days after completed ride

GoneUber

Now I had not been online for two days (since 9/17) because I was busy and in my friend's wedding. All of a sudden on Saturday 9/19 I start getting calls from the generic Uber rider number- (832) 730-2936. I ignore the calls because I was taking pics with my phone. I didn't think anything of it until I got 3 more.

I was away from my phone for about 2 hours only to have TWO voicemails from the number wanting to know why I didn't show up Friday and the guy sounded like he was ready to fight someone. "Oh so what happened to you on Friday, n*gg*?So you not gon answer the phone now n*gg*?!? Oh ah-ought then." (I'm typing it the way it sounded)

Really?!? What the heck?!? Emailed Uber when I had a moment and here was the response.

What? Your technology allowed me to get a call from someone who was not the last person I dropped off and you tell me to go to the police. No- fix the glitch! Also, they now have my actual number because my standard voicemail greeting states my number!!!!

Attachments

ldra02

Wow... I've had calls over the uber number before when I'm not working, but I just don't pick them up... figured they were some kind of error.... that's good to know, so that I can change my greeting to a generic one....

Don Oldenburg

It's my understanding the rider can call our UBER numbers anytime as our numbers don't change -- If they have notated the uber number -- nothing to stop them from calling it direct and being patched through.

Are you sure the guy leaving messages is in fact a previous passenger? Or is it possible that your getting a wrong number calling your UBER number. I know you don't have to be the rider to call that number, as I've had people who have called from their landlines to me in the past when their cell reception sucked.

My assumption here is UBER told you to call the police because of the threatening nature of the call. If it's a wrong number calling you -- nothing much uber can do ...

Trebor

Sometimes a rider will call a few days later because they are looking for something they lost. But from my understanding, the voicemail is not an option. I am not sure how this works, does the system detect voicemail and end the call?

I know this because Uber e-mailed me one day asking if they can hand out my real number because a rider was having trouble trying to contact me. (no voicemails or text can be received or sent after).

Now, anybody can call you on that line whenever/wherever. I have been receiving telemarketing calls under the Uber Rider #, but have yet to receive a voicemail, from anybody under Uber Rider # name.

Unless, I am driving, all calls are ignored.

Goober

Now I had not been online for two days (since 9/17) because I was busy and in my friend's wedding. All of a sudden on Saturday 9/19 I start getting calls from the generic Uber rider number- (832) 730-2936. I ignore the calls because I was taking pics with my phone. I didn't think anything of it until I got 3 more.

I was away from my phone for about 2 hours only to have TWO voicemails from the number wanting to know why I didn't show up Friday and the guy sounded like he was ready to fight someone. "Oh so what happened to you on Friday, n*gg*?So you not gon answer the phone now n*gg*?!? Oh ah-ought then." (I'm typing it the way it sounded)

Really?!? What the heck?!? Emailed Uber when I had a moment and here was the response.

What? Your technology allowed me to get a call from someone who was not the last person I dropped off and you tell me to go to the police. No- fix the glitch! Also, they now have my actual number because my standard voicemail greeting states my number!!!!
That generic uber number is specific to you, you should edit that post!

Bukrub

I just tested it from my home phone which has never called my uber number. I can call myself no problem on it and it goes to my regular voicemail. I changed it so it doesn't say my real phone number anymore.

GoneUber

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
That generic uber number is specific to you, you should edit that post!
No need. Uber confirmed that they changed the number associated with me. I tested it- it is now an invalid number. I appreciate their prompt attention to the matter- the most positive experience I have had dealing with them directly.

GoneUber

I just tested it from my home phone which has never called my uber number. I can call myself no problem on it and it goes to my regular voicemail. I changed it so it doesn't say my real phone number anymore.
Yes I changed mine too.

GoneUber

It's my understanding the rider can call our UBER numbers anytime as our numbers don't change -- If they have notated the uber number -- nothing to stop them from calling it direct and being patched through.

Are you sure the guy leaving messages is in fact a previous passenger? Or is it possible that your getting a wrong number calling your UBER number. I know you don't have to be the rider to call that number, as I've had people who have called from their landlines to me in the past when their cell reception sucked.

My assumption here is UBER told you to call the police because of the threatening nature of the call. If it's a wrong number calling you -- nothing much uber can do ...
Uber said that number changes randomly. The last passenger I had was female (really nice, maybe middle aged) BUT as I was leaving some younger guy (maybe her son) came out of the house and just looked at me as I pulled away. It could have been him or just a random wrong number. Either way it was weird and unsettling at the very least.

Richard Cranium

Just record silence or a clicking sound,then they get a beep. I have done this from day 1 and VERY rarely do they leave a message.

RC

Fuzzyelvis

Sometimes a rider will call a few days later because they are looking for something they lost. But from my understanding, the voicemail is not an option. I am not sure how this works, does the system detect voicemail and end the call?

I know this because Uber e-mailed me one day asking if they can hand out my real number because a rider was having trouble trying to contact me. (no voicemails or text can be received or sent after).

Now, anybody can call you on that line whenever/wherever. I have been receiving telemarketing calls under the Uber Rider #, but have yet to receive a voicemail, from anybody under Uber Rider # name.

Unless, I am driving, all calls are ignored.
I deliver pizza and have to call folks a lot for gated apartments etc. I'm always getting calls from them later about missed calls (Often they don't answer the first time).

I ignore unknown numbers.

Nickels

I appreciate their prompt attention to the matter- the most positive experience I have had dealing with them directly.
They gave out your number in the first place and didn't enact safeguards to protect you from later calls. They then tell you it's not their problem and to essentially piss off before they finally decide to do the minimal amount possible and you're thanking them?

elelegido

I ride denied a young drunk girl before she got to the car - saw her stumbling up via the rear view mirror. She texted a load of abuse about 20 minutes after the drive-off, so I just replied with a "thanks for choosing Uber" text. After that, she phoned 22, I counted on the call register, 22 times in the space of five minutes.

Sometimes if I'm bored I'll f**k with irate pax who phone; my favorite is to put on a clueless southern hillbilly @@@@@@ voice, which winds them up like you wouldn't believe. Sometimes though I just want to get back to work and get on with the next ride.

Richard Cranium

I ride denied a young drunk girl before she got to the car - saw her stumbling up via the rear view mirror. She texted a load of abuse about 20 minutes after the drive-off, so I just replied with a "thanks for choosing Uber" text. After that, she phoned 22, I counted on the call register, 22 times in the space of five minutes.

Sometimes if I'm bored I'll f**k with irate pax who phone; my favorite is to put on a clueless southern hillbilly @@@@@@ voice, which winds them up like you wouldn't believe. Sometimes though I just want to get back to work and get on with the next ride.
Just crank up some opera answer and toss the phone on the dash.

RC

GoneUber

They gave out your number in the first place and didn't enact safeguards to protect you from later calls. They then tell you it's not their problem and to essentially piss off before they finally decide to do the minimal amount possible and you're thanking them?
I didn't think I would get a response. So I'm glad something was done. Now I'm not completely satisfied with Uber's response but something is better than nothing. My spouse is in IT and we have handled the situation. So I'm good and safe. If anything does happen, Uber would be liable. We have lawyers and law enforcement in the family.

Fuzzyelvis

I didn't think I would get a response. So I'm glad something was done. Now I'm not completely satisfied with Uber's response but something is better than nothing. My spouse is in IT and we have handled the situation. So I'm good and safe. If anything does happen, Uber would be liable. We have lawyers and law enforcement in the family.
If you're looking for sympathy for your family problems you've come to the wrong place I'm afraid.

GoneUber

If you're looking for sympathy for your family problems you've come to the wrong place I'm afraid.
My original post was about a Uber security issue, no mention of a family problem here. But thank you for the heads up- no sympathy here on the forum. Got it! Be blessed!

Fuzzyelvis

My original post was about a Uber security issue, no mention of a family problem here. But thank you for the heads up- no sympathy here on the forum. Got it! Be blessed!
Sorry. I thought you said you had lawyers in your family. Must be someone else...

GoneUber

Sorry. I thought you said you had lawyers in your family. Must be someone else...
I do. I told them about what happen and from a legal standpoint they were really concerned about it. Not saying I will sue or anything but I am more informed about my options because of the security "breach". It was just a quick and scary incident. I didn't have my guard down while driving Uber but it was still a wake up call nonetheless.