• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Passengers who are going to rate you badly.......

Canaddar

I had a passenger who I just knew was going to rate me badly, and while I don't know for sure, I am pretty sure that he gave me a 1 star that day. I did get a one star, but can't say for sure that it was him. Here is what happened:

Get a pickup at a hospital. It is a very big building and I drove to the Uber pickup location on the map. He is not there. I text that I am there, no response. Wait a minute and call him to see where he is standing as it is obviously not where the icon is. He states that he is at 124 maple (not that actual address). I explain that it is a big building and I don't know which door he is at. He again states that he is at that address and sounds frustrated. So, at this point I try and explain again that it is a big building and I don't see him at the main door. So I tell him that I will drive to another door and I go to the valet entrance. He is not there. So I drive further and eventually find him at the third entrance.

During my ride, he again in a frustrated manner tells me that he was at the address 123 maple. I again try and explain how it works. I just knew where this was going but try and stay calm and polite with him. A while later a 1 star shows up. So I am pretty sure that it was him.

My passenger was an older guy, probably late 60s or 70s. He just struck me as someone who is probably a grumpy old man who has a beef with most things in life.

So......other than just cancelling before I even get there, what are my tools to deal with a situation that I see going bad like this? My stats are 0% cancellations (I don't like to cancel if I accept it), and mid 4.9s with around 600ish drives. Does 1 star rating him do anything for me? Can I go into the local greenlight and get any resolution? I do run a vantrue N2 camera, so it does video and sound.....any benefit to taking the video to the greenlight (if they will even confess to the rider being the guy I suspect)? Or is this just a S*** happens thing that I really can't do anything about?

Thanks for any input.

lesh11

It seems like you used to be able to cancel, don't charge rider, after you started a trip. I think I did that when I knew I was going to get a bad rating. You can't do that any more.

waldowainthrop

If you are at 0% cancels start cancelling on grumpy people. If someone doesn’t like the ride before they get in, I don’t need to take them. It’s bad for my business and there are plenty of other rides for them to get. I would expect a passenger to cancel on me if I were unduly rude to them, so I would respond in kind when the tables are turned.

TemptingFate

If you are at 0% cancels start cancelling on grumpy people. If someone doesn’t like the ride before they get in, I don’t need to take them. It’s bad for my business and there are plenty of other rides for them to get. I would expect a passenger to cancel on me if I were unduly rude to them, so I would respond in kind when the tables are turned.
Why cancel if you can shuffle?

TemptingFate

I can save time by cancelling and moving on to a profitable ride. I don’t “shuffle” but I do collect a cancellation fee from someone with a pickup location issue which some people call shuffling but I consider a legit cancel. I understand the shuffling game but it’s not for me.
Maybe I'm using shuffling too broadly but I consider it legitimate to tell a rider the trip is cancelled and then wait out the clock to collect the no show fee. I'm not leaving without getting paid for making the trip to their pick up stop. Only exception might be if there's a surge and I want to catch the next ride without waiting for the timer.

waldowainthrop

Maybe I'm using shuffling too broadly but I consider it legitimate to tell a rider the trip is cancelled and then wait out the clock to collect the no show fee. I'm not leaving without getting paid for making the trip to their pick up stop. Only exception might be if there's a surge and I want to catch the next ride without waiting for the timer.
Yeah I think we are way more agreed than disagreed. I am for shuffling if it means getting compensated for wasted time but not for hostile or deceptive shuffling. You’ll never catch me hiding in an alley.

Canaddar

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
with 600 rides a 1 or a few 1's won't do much damage overall. What you at 4,98?
Currently 4.94. I have 3 one stars.......pretty sure that I know who two of them are, and both of them were not at the location they were supposed to be at. 1 was the guy I talked about above. The other was a guy who was late for work and put the wrong address in for a pickup......he was almost a full mile away from the address on the app. But because I got a note from uber a few days later saying something about a passenger having difficulties on pickup, I am pretty damned sure it was him.

Coachman

Currently 4.94. I have 3 one stars.......pretty sure that I know who two of them are, and both of them were not at the location they were supposed to be at. 1 was the guy I talked about above. The other was a guy who was late for work and put the wrong address in for a pickup......he was almost a full mile away from the address on the app. But because I got a note from uber a few days later saying something about a passenger having difficulties on pickup, I am pretty damned sure it was him.
If the pickup address is wrong, unless it's really close, the best option is to cancel immediately.