Passengers that save the short trips for Uber, not taxis

soontobeautomated

So I have had a few of these types of passengers lately.

They hop in an tell me they were going to get a taxi, but felt sorry for the taxi waiting in a queue for a short trip, so they save the short trips for Uber.

My response is we ALSO wait long periods between trips as well. Its just we are not as clearly marked and cannot sit in ranks. So we are less visible when idle. We drive for $'s too. I then explain a taxi driver will @@@@@ and moan for the entire trip, we just smile and do the job - it does not mean we are any more/less greatful for the trip.

The last passenger I had this conversation with jaws dropped. I then got a $5 tip.

Sometimes it pays to be honest with passengers.

Icecool

They hop in an tell me they were going to get a taxi, but felt sorry for the taxi waiting in a queue for a short trip, so they save the short trips for Uber.

My response is we ALSO wait long periods between trips as well. Its just we are not as clearly marked and cannot sit in ranks. So we are less visible when idle. We drive for $'s too. I then explain a taxi driver will @@@@@ and moan for the entire trip, we just smile and do the job - it does not mean we are any more/less greatful for the trip.

The last passenger I had this conversation with jaws dropped. I then got a $5 tip.

The short trips adds up. no difference for Uber. For long trip it'll get you way out of the core area which you'll need to drive back most of the time empty handed.

westieuber

The shortest trip I had was 150metres lmao. She was one who was born with the silver spoon in her mouth.

Ubercadabra

cabs are cheaper & quicker for short trips for example from my local train station to home
Taxi $6-8
Uber $10-12

Taxi-already there on rank waiting just jump in
Uber-have to wait bout 5 min & some drivers cancel because it’s a short trip

soontobeautomated

The short trips adds up. no difference for Uber. For long trip it'll get you way out of the core area which you'll need to drive back most of the time empty handed.

The point I was trying to make that some passengers feel sorry for taxi drivers......... so get a FUber instead and tell us they feel better because we do not complain.

In some circumstances, I actually agree with your point. But thats a different issue.

Ausois

I call the short trips “heels trips”, girls in heels who can’t walk short distances. And yes, they do all add up

Icecool

The point I was trying to make that some passengers feel sorry for taxi drivers......... so get a FUber instead and tell us they feel better because we do not complain.

In some circumstances, I actually agree with your point. But thats a different issue.
So the pax don't feel sorry for Uber drivers who's working on a slave wage.

Tda85

Works both ways.

I've had lots of pax tell me that when they get in a cab, they only do it for short trips, because cabbie a constantly complain about short trips, so they give the longer ones to uber drivers as cabbies are entitled.

Anybody who's ever tried to catch a taxi at the airport or in a long taxi queue (and there's been a LOT of pax like this) with a short trip, will go out of their way to not give cabs the money, just because of the attitude.

pretty sure the people who feel sorry for cabs are a minority, and you know it.

Waingro

The taxi council increased the flag fall on the metre to cover short trips. They are always whinging but the market is the market

The Derivative

Most pax think you are employees by Uber and paid by the hour

When pax says "sorry to bother you for a short trip", it doesn't mean that they feel sorry for you because it is a short trip with no money to be earned. They felt sorry because they think you can actually earn money not doing anything, but now been bothered with a trip. Pax does not know how uber works for a driver

The Reaper

The know the taxi will give them shit or not take them on a 2 block ride. Thats the real reason we get the short trips. I love short trips. Especially when the AI is kicking my ass on some phone game.

UberTopGun

When pax says "sorry to bother you for a short trip", it doesn't mean that they feel sorry for you because it is a short trip with no money to be earned.
NO
It's because the Pax is scared & sucking up to the driver so they do Not get a Rating Hit
Lucky Door Prize = 1 Star 😁 :rolleyes::p:p