PASSENGERS OF UBER AND LYFT: Mask-Up. Or Pay The $5 Education Fee.

Mask_Up_Please.jpeg

Many US States (and Canadian Provinces) are moving towards fully re-opening their economies, and the demand for Uber and Lyft rides has seen a drip drip drip increase in the past few weeks. In some markets onboarding of new drivers was put on hold, and many more drivers have deemed the government assistance packages more lucrative than the profits (and risk) from driving ride hail. Yes gas may be cheap, but car insurance, vehicle sanitization and personal protective equipment (PPE such as masks, gloves or whathaveyou) are an added expense in a time where demand remains way down.

In my market, Toronto, Canada, the wait times for getting a ride are slightly longer, and if you are driving, the pick-ups distances are often further away (hello, LYFT!) and remain, typically, short grocery store or other essential retail trips. But more people are visiting friends and relatives, or going to a public park or shopping. Life has returned to whatever constitutes a new normal.

For ridehail drivers, both Uber and Lyft have mandated a face covering (i.e. a cloth mask) not only for drivers, but for all passengers. While the UBER app forces the tedious check-list and woefully comical ‘verification selfie’ on the drivers EVERY TIME THEY GO ONLINE, it barely informs the passengers on their app before they request a ride. LYFT also has a checklist that keeps face coverings, sanitation and personal hygiene top of mind to drivers, but also, does not feel to push to hard on its paying customers.

Now, like the car-seat avoiding parents of toddlers, there is a potential argument with passengers, every time they show up for their ride, and are either completely ignorant of the policy, or are of the ‘plandemic’ variety and have taken a political stance against policy-power-plays by the state and local health organizations.

A potential conflict now lurks for almost 50% of the ride requests I take.

Hear ye. Hear ye! Passengers of Lyft and Uber. You will be educated at the cost of $5 per, every time you show up without a face covering. The doors are locked. I will point you to the drop-down or link in the app if you cannot find it, but you are not setting foot in my vehicle. And you will be paying $5. Every time.

“But my last driver took me without a mask.” Ah yes. We have done this dance before when you had Junior in tow and no car seat. You were educated then. $5 please. Thanks. No exceptions. You can cancel yourself (and incur the $5 education fee a few minutes faster) but if you request a ride and the request comes my way, I will be accepting it, and if you are not careful. Another $5 education fee. You have been warned.

Wearing a mask is not for your safety, it is for the safety of the next person, and for the safety of the driver. I do not know where you have been and who you have been with, and what you have been doing. The app gives me a rating and a name and occasionally, if you have been diligent with uploading, a photo of your dog. It doesn’t tell me if you have been at an infected longterm care facility (aka a nursing home), a hospital, or an underground speakeasy. You wear the mask for the safety of the next passenger, so your spittle and airborne mucous particles do not get all over my car seats and potentially me or the next passengers.

A disposable mask costs pennies, folds in your pocket, and takes 2 seconds to put on. Or you can wait the 5 minutes for me to arrive, another 5 minutes to shuffle you and your uncovered face, and hope the next driver (not me) is ‘cool’ with not following the policies dictated on the Big Two ridehail platforms.

I do not care what your political views are. I do not care what the statistics or what Dr. Shiva Ayyadurai (who has 188K subscribers on YouTube, so he must be right) says. This is the policy. The same way that the policy is that I do not run red lights, or run-over pedestrians.

But I am happy, in light of my own emotional energy and frustration with dealing with your ignorance and obstinacy, to charge you the $5 education fee for your trouble.

Stay Safe.

(And don’t be that driver, ‘who took the last passenger.’ It makes it difficult for the rest of us. Face Covering or Car Seat.)

Kurt Halfyard
Bear does not care about masks, sorry. There are no masks made for bears, so the mask bear wears doesn't really fit anyway. It covers bear's nose, but not the sides of bear's snout, and bear has to use rubber bands to extend the loops around bear's ears. Bear would thus be hypocritical to require pax to wear them.

Sometimes I’m forced to explain the concept of the mask be4 i
Unlock the door.

Mine protects You
Yours protects Me
By U NOT wearing a mask 😷 you’re telling me to Go @@@@ myself,
that I don’t count, I’m not worthy.

Recently My rating has dropped significantly. LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Article Author Article Author
Sometimes I’m forced to explain the concept of the mask be4 i
Unlock the door.
Recently My rating has dropped significantly. LOL
Yes, I have seen my ratings go down on both platforms. But it is what it is. If U/L want to deactivate me for following their own corporate-safety policies, then so be it.

It’s absurd to increase mask rules. Especially in low risk areas.
Uh-huh. Sure. As the restrictions start to end, potentiality for spread increases, not decreases, and low risk areas increase as people move around and start doing things again. The time for mask in enclosed spaces is basically from NOW until HERD IMMUNITY. THis could be at least a year or more out. Yea, you probably won't die, but you might feel bad if you kill somebodies grandma or diabetic immunocompromised nephew by spreading things further around.

hightide_notnormal.jpg

Last edited:
Bear would not feel bad, because there are a lot more humans where those came from.
Well. I guess the world cannot fault bears for their lack of compassion or empathy.
In the Boreal forest, it's every bear for themselves.
Last time I checked, it is every civilized HUMAN citizen's partial responsibilty to protect the vulnerable.
Until COVID-19 is over, I suggest you hibernate.

Last edited:
Well. I guess the world cannot fault bears for their lack of compassion or empathy.
In the Boreal forest, it's every bear for themselves.
Last time I checked, it is every civilized HUMAN citizen's partial responsibilty to protect the vulnerable.
Until COVID-19 is over, I suggest you hibernate.
Bears hibernate only when food is scarce. There are pings aplenty now, and pings mean food! Bear will keep driving.

Yea, sure.
Just in time for next Fall, and the inevitable arrival of some new super-bug we’re supposed to fear.

Ever notice how there’s a new bug every year? MERS, SARS, H1N1, ad nauseum. Any who think we’re going to kill our economy, sitting at home collecting unfounded government checks is nuts.

Let’s see what happens when you try to enforce mask and social distancing rules on rioters. I sure feel safe, knowing it’s illegal for armed thugs to take over the city center. That Uber “no gun” policy will protect me. Sure it will.

I’ll take my chances with freedom every time.

Bear does not care about masks, sorry. There are no masks made for bears, so the mask bear wears doesn't really fit anyway. It covers bear's nose, but not the sides of bear's snout, and bear has to use rubber bands to extend the loops around bear's ears. Bear would thus be hypocritical to require pax to wear them.
Wonders if bear knows........ Forget it. I got to cut back on the shrooms I'm talking to a bear

Uh-huh. Sure. As the restrictions start to end, potentiality for spread increases, not decreases, and low risk areas increase as people move around and start doing things again. The time for mask in enclosed spaces is basically from NOW until HERD IMMUNITY. THis could be at least a year or more out. Yea, you probably won't die, but you might feel bad if you kill somebodies grandma or diabetic immunocompromised nephew by spreading things further around.

View attachment 475677
Please explain the science of HERD IMMUNITY if we don't allow people to become infected.
If we don't allow the virus to spread in a controlled manner this summer then we are going to be screwed when winter comes and we have the 2nd wave AND the flu to deal with.

We should do what we can to protect the most vulnerable (65 and older or high risk individuals) but the rest of us need to interact and build up our collective immune systems.

Please explain the science of HERD IMMUNITY if we don't allow people to become infected.
In a word: VACCINE.

(See also: Polio, Rubella, Mumps, Measles, Tetanus, Percussis, Diptheria - those diseases were not solved by letting it burn through the population (although they did wreak havoc for years), they were pretty much eradicated from the western world by HERD IMMUNITY AS A RESULT OF VACCINATION.)

As an aside. The whole SWEDEN experiment hasn't worked out too well.

https://www.ft.com/content/4f6ad356-9f61-4728-a9aa-3fa1f232035a --

There is something ghoulish about the way the rest of the world is watching Sweden’s experience with the coronavirus pandemic. The country’s refusal to go for a hard lockdown has seen it hailed by rightwing populists around the world. [...] and the Covid-19 death rate looks shockingly high compared with neighbours that went for a tougher lockdown. Sweden’s per capita death rate is roughly 10 times the level of neighbouring Norway. There have even been days, in recent weeks, when the death rate per head has been the highest in the world.

Ironically, it still didn't stop the Swedish economy from seeing a statistically similar drop as the rest of Europe, nor did it achieve Herd Immunity. By all accounts less than 20% of the Swedish popluation has developed antibodies, and you need >70% for Herd Immunity, so it is somewhat likely that Sweden may have a Vaccine before it reaches the state 'naturally' (with all its collateral damage that ensued with its elderly and vulnerable/immunocompromised deaths.)

Last edited:
In a word: VACCINE.

(See also: Polio, Rubella, Mumps, Measles, Tetanus, Percussis, Diptheria - those diseases were not solved by letting it burn through the population (although they did wreak havoc for years), they were pretty much eradicated from the western world by HERD IMMUNITY AS A RESULT OF VACCINATION.)

As an aside. The whole SWEDEN experiment hasn't worked out too well.

https://www.ft.com/content/4f6ad356-9f61-4728-a9aa-3fa1f232035a --

There is something ghoulish about the way the rest of the world is watching Sweden’s experience with the coronavirus pandemic. The country’s refusal to go for a hard lockdown has seen it hailed by rightwing populists around the world. [...] and the Covid-19 death rate looks shockingly high compared with neighbours that went for a tougher lockdown. Sweden’s per capita death rate is roughly 10 times the level of neighbouring Norway. There have even been days, in recent weeks, when the death rate per head has been the highest in the world.

Ironically, it still didn't stop the Swedish economy from seeing a statistically similar drop as the rest of Europe, nor did it achieve Herd Immunity. By all accounts less than 20% of the Swedish popluation has developed antibodies, and you need >70% for Herd Immunity, so it is somewhat likely that Sweden may have a Vaccine before it reaches the state 'naturally' (with all its collateral damage that ensued with its elderly and vulnerable/immunocompromised deaths.)

A Vaccine is pie-in-the-sky wishful thinking.

Do we have a vaccine for the common cold? NO.
Do we have a vaccine or the flu? NO
Do we have a vaccine for AIDS? NO

I'm sure we will develop drugs that will help in fighting off the affects of the virus but a vaccine is wishful thinking.