1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Passenger was ex-Uber Driver

Discussion in 'Tips' started by Randy Civello, Sep 6, 2015.

1. The other night I picked up a passenger and he went on to tell me how he was an Uber driver for about 3 weeks. He said he quit because he wasn't making enough money and nobody was tipping.. Guess what, he gets out of car and does the same thing he was complaining about...no tip !!.go figure.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2015
  2. Jam Val

Jam Val

Driving:
    UberX
    What a dick

3. I haven't tipped Uber drivers before either because I didn't have any cash. I know I'm a dick for it but I didn't have a way to tip him. I've tried to make up for it by making sure I always have cash on me if taking an Uber. I still feel bad about stiffing that guy though.

tohunt4me and Jam Val like this.
  4. JMBF831

JMBF831

Driving:
    UberX
    I've had three Uber drivers as pax, and only one of the three tipped me. I didn't understand it. Every time I take an Uber I tip $2,-$5. I just don't get it.

5. JMBF831

JMBF831

Driving:
    UberX
    I even did the whole minimum fare ping because I wanted to use the service.

I was only 4 min away, had toes on the curb, pick up and drop off location locked and loaded, tipped the driver $2 for his 10 minutes of time.

tohunt4me likes this.
  6. Digits

Digits

Driving:
    UberX
    Aren't tips included in the uber fare? :rolleyes:

tohunt4me likes this.
  7. Rider

Rider

Tips are not included. But they are greatly appreciated.

8. I was a Uber rider for over a year till I signed up a couple weeks ago, used Uber X about twice a week.....I NEVER tipped a driver....I bought into the whole "cashless" thing....it wasn't till I signed on HERE that I realized I'd been had.

9. I have had several Uber drivers as passengers where I work.
    Every one of them tip.
    I tried to talk them out of it as a courtesy.
    One, I gave a free return trip to from shopping.

10. The Uber website says "no cash, no tip, no hassle".
    yes, gratuities are expected in the cab business, but Uber (and Lyft) are the forerunners of the new sharing economy, sophisticated urbanites love it because it is so progressive.

The old school cab drivers who have a pocket full of small bills, and are usually packing heat, build their own customer bases, that was rejected in favor of mints and smart phones and credit cards/

People just don't realize that this new paradigm has tipping, its a new experience to them.

11. oobaah

oobaah

Im confused....

Are you slamming the "old school" drivers? (bold section)

or

Are you suggesting this "new paradigm" has something we have "yet" to discover? (underlined section)

12. Tipping etiquette just hasn't been established for the new sharing economy and rideshare drivers. It was with the old school cab drivers, but people see Uber and the rest of the progressive sharing economy as something different. Uber is seen as a form of public transport, and you don't tip subway conductors and bus drivers.

I was one of the old school drivers, but those days aren't coming back and I wouldn't slam myself.

13. oobaah

oobaah

I_Like_SpamI_Like_Spam ....ahhh, gotcha...

I agree with you on the establishment of tipping in new rideshare concept.

I disagree on the perception of Uber as public transport, therefore no tipping.

My view is that Uber has brainwashed its riders into thinking tips were included (by telling half-truths) and letting that permeate into all other Uber products. Thats the reason why tipping is not NATURALLY happening.

Until that brainwashing is UNDONE, drivers will not see tips flowing with ease.

I do my part with every ride (undoing the brainwashing) and its yielded some benefits so far. I just hope all drivers will do so as time goes on.

Santa likes this.
  14. I don't know if the term "brainwashing" is appropriate, the passengers have just been informed in so many words by Uber.

There are others, besides bus drivers and subway conductors, in the transportation field that don't receive tips. You don't tip your stewardess either, even when she brings you a drink.

The sharing economy is still involving, websites like this one will be interesting from a historic prospective in a decade or less, its still shaking out

15. nickd8775

nickd8775

Driving:
    UberX
    The stewardess only gets paid about 15 cents a mile. That's worse than even Detroit's Uber rates.

16. ATX 22

ATX 22

But the stewardess isn't buying the fuel or the snacks for the plane.

Santa likes this.
  17. But.. @600 miles per hour it evens out

18. Matt Uterak

Matt Uterak

Driving:
    UberX
    I tip every time.

I educated a new driver today that she was allowed to take tips.

JMBF831 likes this.
  19. I am surprised how many drivers feel like they can't accept a tip (due to Uber's horse**** policies).

If the person is tipping you, just take it, and express gratitude. Are they going to tip, then complain that you accepted it?

Lubersea likes this.
  20. sellkatsell44

sellkatsell44 Moderator

Tipping to me is when I know the server is paid part in wages and part in tips. It's not always a conscious thing but for example: waiters and waitresses, they get paid below the minimum wages in some cities, minimum in others...tip will make up the difference in minimum wage (if any) and the rat on top is cherry; like commission. When I apply for work, the base or hourly is usually a joke...it's the commission I get, that is my bread and butter.

So for restaurants that charge way higher so they can pay their workers higher wages; I don't mind having the "tip already included".

Bus drivers actually get paid pretty well. 10 years ago, it was $26/hr starting, can you imagine now?

I think if there was a tipping option, people would be more conscious of it. But most people don't know. It's not that their cheap completely, because after knowing that you're suppose to tip, they may take uber less to balance their budget, but most folks don't know better. That's not to say there aren't cheap passengers who deserves the worst of worse. Still