• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Passenger wanted me to join him in scam

Inshur
I pick up some kid in the Bronx and he tells me he can offer me an opportunity to make a little extra money. He was being dropped off and I received another request, so conversation was cut short. He said we should exchange phone numbers and he'll explain later. I thought whatever and gave him my number.

A couple weeks later I get a call and I tell him I'm busy and to text me what he has to say. He texts me telling me he can charge a ride to a credit card and run the fare up to $650 and he only wants $200 out of that, but he needs the payment upfront.

I LOL and blocked his number.

Adonix

Earning from uber itself is challenging and hard earned money, falling into some scam and wasting that hard earned money is something which is more painful situation than death itself.

LucidityOfPower

I pick up some kid in the Bronx and he tells me he can offer me an opportunity to make a little extra money. He was being dropped off and I received another request, so conversation was cut short. He said we should exchange phone numbers and he'll explain later. I thought whatever and gave him my number.

A couple weeks later I get a call and I tell him I'm busy and to text me what he has to say. He texts me telling me he can charge a ride to a credit card and run the fare up to $650 and he only wants $200 out of that, but he needs the payment upfront.

I LOL and blocked his number.
That's legit probably. I did it once and they gave me a fare that was to another state and the TNC that I did this for paid and never took the funds back. I vowed to never do it again because it's sketchy af, especially after I gave the guy $120 in cash for the job. I ended up making close to $1700 in 38 hours that week (it was towards the end of the week).

K.O.N.Y

I told these 2 bums that wanted me to do that scam that I'd run the fare up by going to CT and back to the city empty.....as soon as they got out I ended the trip :laugh::laugh:

RDWRER

He might not’ve been trying to scam you as much as get you to launder money for him, as multiple posts in this thread describe. Running up multiple stolen credit cards like this is stupid to no end and can only bite you in the butt when the cops come knocking.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I drove some young men around for like 4hrs-5hrs (10pm-3am) sometime ago (once again in the Bronx) and the fare added up to $300-$400 dollars. They just was going from one random place to another. After they did what appeared to possibly be "dropoffs" they just started to call random friends to meet up with them, cruise around and drop 'em off back to their location while they smoked weed and listen to their loud gangster rap music.

I felt uncomfortable AF, but didn't say anything because they seem like the type of people that would use any excuse to get rowdy and ignorant. I finally dropped them off and ended the fare thinking they must've used a stolen credit card.

I eventually got a message from Lyft saying they're going to investigate the fare and if the fare is determined to be fraudulent, funds will be reimbursed to orginal credit card holder, but the amount was never claimed and I got paid the full amount; however, these pax's never asked me to pay 'em a cut of that fare. They never even mentioned to me that they was charging it to a stolen credit card. They just cruised around for hours running the meter and I got paid.

ItzMysh

I drove some young men around for like 4hrs-5hrs (10pm-3am) sometime ago (once again in the Bronx) and the fare added up to $300-$400 dollars. They just was going from one random place to another. After they did what appeared to possibly be "dropoffs" they just started to call random friends to meet up with them, cruise around and drop 'em off back to their location while they smoked weed and listen to their loud gangster rap music.

I felt uncomfortable AF, but didn't say anything because they seem like the type of people that would use any excuse to get rowdy and ignorant. I finally dropped them off and ended the fare thinking they must've used a stolen credit card.

I eventually got a message from Lyft saying they're going to investigate the fare and if the fare is determined to be fraudulent, funds will be reimbursed to orginal credit card holder, but the amount was never claimed and I got paid the full amount; however, these pax's never asked me to pay 'em a cut of that fare. They never even mentioned to me that they was charging it to a stolen credit card. They just cruised around for hours running the meter and I got paid.
Had a similar thing once. But honestly I wouldn’t do any of these again. You learn a lot about apps doing this lol.

Kris150303

That's legit probably. I did it once and they gave me a fare that was to another state and the TNC that I did this for paid and never took the funds back. I vowed to never do it again because it's sketchy af, especially after I gave the guy $120 in cash for the job. I ended up making close to $1700 in 38 hours that week (it was towards the end of the week).
not a story you should be sharing