Passenger tried to negotiate ride offline

AshyLarry81

I had a passenger today that was kind of a pain in the ass - crappy attitude, placed pin in wrong location. She had this permanent stank face to her, if you know what I mean. So after picking her up, she tried to negotiate an offline, cash only future ride to the airport. Since she already got off on the wrong foot, I declined. Wouldn't be surprised if she rated me poorly. I am now thinking about reporting her for disciplinary action and to preemptively remove a possible bad rating. Had she been nice about it, I would have actually considered it. With her attitude, however, I would be concerned with the possibility of her scamming me and not having cash at all (not to also mention the lack of insurance). What would you guys do in this situation?

AJUber

People have different views on this some will say never take cash since now you not covered insurance wise ..... others say do it

Renaldow

I would've told her that I would, but it's an insurance thing and if there was a problem then there'd be no coverage for her or me. So, you know, I would, but it's unsafe for the both of us and I could lose my job.

Realityshark

Don't do it. Liability is too high. Risk / Reward. Rate her low and report the issue to Uber. Realize that Uber won't adjust a bad rating against you. They don't care. They will send you some cut and pasted bullshit e-mail that will only piss you off.

Another Uber Driver

Hi AshyLarry81,

Thanks for reaching out to us with your question/problem!

Uber has strict policies against accepting cash, street hails or off-platform rides.

Uber On!

best,

Krissi

UberLou

I would have said sure, half the cash now and the other half at pickup(no intention of showing up)

Enjoy your tip!

Support I have no idea what the rider is taking about, I would make no such deal!

D Town

With a crap attitude I'm not even thinking of taking any risk with someone. I'd do a cash ride on three conditions:
1) Cash up front at the start of the ride.
2) Person understands that if asked they are a buddy I'm just giving a ride to.
3) They aren't @@@@@@ bags.

Oscar Levant

I had a passenger today that was kind of a pain in the ass - crappy attitude, placed pin in wrong location. She had this permanent stank face to her, if you know what I mean. So after picking her up, she tried to negotiate an offline, cash only future ride to the airport. Since she already got off on the wrong foot, I declined. Wouldn't be surprised if she rated me poorly. I am now thinking about reporting her for disciplinary action and to preemptively remove a possible bad rating. Had she been nice about it, I would have actually considered it. With her attitude, however, I would be concerned with the possibility of her scamming me and not having cash at all (not to also mention the lack of insurance). What would you guys do in this situation?
always report any issues you have with a rider via the uber app at the end of the trip where it says "need help?" never never accept cash from a rider in lieu of turning on the app. this will get you deactivated if you are caught and that person could be a shill either for Uber or the city licensing people, keep that in mind.

Wil_Iam_Fuber'd

I
Might have said to her, sure NP. My cash rate is 2x the Ux rates, half at booking and the balance when I pick you up. What date would you like to book? She'll decline of course bcause she is offering cash to try and get an even lower price!

Seriously though, IDK. I would probably try and negotiate an in app ride w/ a healthy cash gratuity to compensate for your booking a committment.

Taxi Driver in Arizona

I would have said sure, half the cash now and the other half at pickup(no intention of showing up)

Enjoy your tip!

Support I have no idea what the rider is taking about, I would make no such deal!
So just to be clear, you're recommending stealing, then lying about it.

Uber on.

Wil_Iam_Fuber'd

always report any issues you have with a rider via the uber app at the end of the trip where it says "need help?" never never accept cash from a rider in lieu of turning on the app. this will get you deactivated if you are caught and that person could be a shill either for Uber or the city licensing people, keep that in mind.
Yes, agree with this. Second to an accident with injury, this is your biggest risk! Of course, some may welcome that deactivation and use the cash trip as a final bonus on their way off platform permanently. Your mileage may vary!

Wil_Iam_Fuber'd

So just to be clear, you're recommending stealing, then lying about it.

Uber on.
Lol. Well, this is UberWurld. This practice would be consistent with the environment. Uber has been stealing 20% our "included tips" and lying about it for years. So, UL is just practicing as Ubers been preaching! Like father like son. Uber On!!

Taxi Driver in Arizona

Lol. Well, this is UberWurld. This practice would be consistent with the environment. Uber has been stealing 20% our "included tips" and lying about it for years. So, UL is just practicing as Ubers been preaching! Like father like son. Uber On!!
So you're saying that two wrongs make a right? Got it.

You guys are the perfect fit for Uber. Ethically challenged people working for an ethically challenged company.

Just to be clear: stealing and lying are always wrong, and the fact that Uber regularly does both doesn't make it right.

AshyLarry81

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Update: Got a canned response. Sounds like a mini slap on the wrist at worst.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. That is definitely a valuable report and we really appreciate you taking the time to send us your thoughts about this passenger.

We'll get in touch with this passenger to remind her of our policies while taking rides on the platform.

Please feel free to continue to send in your reports, suggestions and we will make sure to constantly strive to create the most efficient and reliable on-demand ride sharing platform.

Wil_Iam_Fuber'd

So you're saying that two wrongs make a right? Got it.

You guys are the perfect fit for Uber. Ethically challenged people working for an ethically challenged company.Just to be clear: stealing and lying are always wrong, and the fact that Uber regularly does both doesn't make it right.
TDA mmm, don't think I said that. Perhaps you should enroll in a basic English reading comprehension course. You know nothing about me nor my ethics, so thanks for playing UberWurld today. And the taxi industry is calling people out about business ethics? You can't be serious.