1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Passenger stole my phone

Discussion in 'Lyft' started by ray954, Aug 15, 2017.

1. ray954

ray954

so last week a trip with 2 passengers when the passenger seated in the rear asked to make a phone call. I obliged by dialing through the handsfree system in my car to which he then stated his "girl don't like speakerphone". So I disengaged the handsfree and handed him the phone. He then unplugged the charger and opened the door and began exiting the vehicle saying he would be "right back". The other passenger seated in the front then says to "let me go after him and make sure he brings it back" . and just like that the passengers were gone with my smart phone. I made a police report as well as commenting on the rating then calling the LYFT "critical response"line. Was able to pull up the geotracking info for my phone. These guys never entered the house where i dropped them, rather they ran by foot behind the house out on to the street to a park 2 blocks away where the geolocation stopped. It took a week for LYFT to finally address this after deactivating me and only to tell me they will not pay to replace the phone nor charge the passengers damage. So now I have to bear the expense of replacing the phone as well as the loss of income from UBER and LYFT for the days I was unable to work.

2. PTUber

PTUber

Driving:
    UberX
    Obviously lesson learned never do that again. More importantly do not give up on Lyft. Continue to call, email, text what ever you have to do to get them to reimburse you for the phone as well as charge the client although I'm sure they used a fake name and probably a stolen CC.

3. Trafficat

Trafficat Moderator

They stole your phone and Lyft is protecting and siding with the passengers and deactivated you? WTF? I think you need to contact your district attorney... maybe you can get a court order forcing Lyft to reveal the details of the passengers and hopefully the DA can press charges against them. If the DA cannot help you, perhaps you can still get a court order for the details if you try to sue the passengers in civil court.

Ezridax likes this.
  4. You might want to tell Lyft that your going to the local TV station (ABC) and getting them involved as well. Bad press is one of the things Lyft DOESN'T want!

5. 90% of Lyft passengers are awful.

Fubernuber likes this.
  6. "my gurl doesn't like speaker phone" whatever dude

7. A Glock 26 is about $450.00, next time defend yourself and property. A hollow-point will remind them not to steal.

8. Jufkii

Jufkii

Driving:
    UberX
    Think it's in the gobbledygook fine print they are not responsible for personal items stolen. Both Lyft and Uber. The fine print you "agreed" to before driving. Weren't the cops able to track someone down? If Lyft cared and gave the account holder info to the cops someone could of gotten nailed.

9. I like a lot of the ones I drive FAR more than some of the ones I've gotten on Uber. Though I'm seeing some on Lyft that were booted from Uber.

SpeedyGonzalez11 likes this.
  10. cdm813

cdm813

Driving:
    UberX
    Wait, you didn't think this was shady?! They have a phone -- they wouldn't be able to order the Lyft without it. Have some sense next time.

11. More like the better business bureau in your city. And yes a good corporate lawyer as well. If it's an open and shut case, they could end up providing your service for free.

If all else fails, there is always the main stream media. A little does of E. Coli PR on your local news and radio stations is the fastest way to get Lyft's attention.

And don't forget social media, which is 100X more effective at educating ppl about the closeted American Psycho the Better Boyfriend really is --- on a global frequency. lol

ray954 likes this.
  12. NoDay

NoDay

Driving:
    UberXL
    To OP sorry man that sucks. Contact your phone provider, see if they have a cheaper refurbished phone or a loaner phone. Also you can get a cheaper prepaid phone unlocked to drive around with.
    Regarding deactivation, I can understand why they would want to do that. It would not take much for a thief to turn on the app and try and make money or find other people to rob then run off. They're trying to protect themselves. See if you can ban the device itself from having the app. maybe they'll let you back on?

Let us know what happens. Glad you didn't get hurt.

To the glock comment I hope you're kidding:
    1. you can get a solid used one cheaper at pawn shop.
    2. you cannot pull a self defense case if your life is in on the line.
    3. if he/she were to shoot a person running away cannot claim self-defense.

After hearing this story, I think I will not loan my phone out. Hadn't needed to, but still hadn't thought about it.

Might say something like, "No. That would go against my contract with Uber/lyft, there is proprietary information on my phone. This prevents me letting an unauthorized user touch it." True or not doesn't matter in this case.

ray954 likes this.
  13. ray954

ray954

wait... did you think about that before you wrote it?

wasn't the person who ordered the ride

get a clue and don't post unless you have something constructive to add

yes, that was the case.

courtesy email would have been nice.

reactivated now

i don't do guns

thanks for input

Sacto Burbs likes this.
  14. No one touches my phone but me

15. Johnydoo

Johnydoo

You can not blame lyft in this case. Thief has driver's phone, they can login to lyft & start picking up pax, god only knows where that pax may end up then.

The proper thing to do was deactivate driver until he/she switches device & phone number. Too much can be done with a stolen phone that has access to lyft platform & oblivious female pax.

16. ray954

ray954

the issue wasn't being deactivated... it was the way LYFT handled the entire episode

17. AuxCordBoston

AuxCordBoston

Why did lyft deactivate you?

Johnydoo likes this.
  18. Exactly. 2 seconds after the second friend exits I'd be out with my personal protection which happens to be an FNS-9 compact 17-clip drawn down on them(im guessing white boys) quickest way for them to wet their skinny jeans.

Lyft and uber are king at "deactivate instantly with any issues til found guilty or not being able to prove innocence thru the overseas non-English speaking reps".

Good luck.

19. ray954

ray954

SOP

20. AuxCordBoston

AuxCordBoston

?