1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Passenger Mismatch

Discussion in 'Advice' started by RussellP, Jan 10, 2017.

1. galileo5

galileo5 Well-Known Member

2. wk1102

wk1102 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what you think doesn't match up. I explained the difference between 3rd party authorization use of account and ordering a ride for someone else.

I do not know what you are not understanding or misinterpreting.

3. yojimboguy

yojimboguy Well-Known Member

Because the TOS can't be specific enough to cover every conceivable case. The other stuff is further clarification of Uber's interpretation of the terms, and they two clearly DON'T contradict each other.

simpsonsverytall likes this.
  4. galileo5

Because I don't understand why it makes a difference if the user orders an Uber for a friend versus the friend "being authorized" to log in to the account themselves.

5. galileo5

Due to my intellectual deficiency, will you point out how they clearly don't?

6. yojimboguy

yojimboguy Well-Known Member

Jeez, because if you call Uber for a friend, that friend needs no access whatsoever to your account. How hard is that to understand?

Shangsta likes this.
  7. wk1102

wk1102 Well-Known Member

It makes a difference because one is against the terms of service, one is not.

Again what do you not get, specifically ?

Shangsta likes this.
  8. wk1102

wk1102 Well-Known Member

I already have! I explained 3rd party authorization. you said you saw that.

Do you not believe me or what ?

9. galileo5

The inconsistency b/t the two documents that you say isn't there is what I don't get. But this conversation has run its course.

10. galileo5

I was replying to the other guy.

11. wk1102

wk1102 Well-Known Member

There is no inconsistency that I can see, you haven't pointed out what you find inconsistent.

Ordering a ride for someone else is not authorizing them to use your Account. you seem stuck on that.

Shangsta likes this.
  12. MSUGrad9902

MSUGrad9902 Well-Known Member

Ok. For starters, they use two phrases separately in the terms of service. "Use of account" is one and "receive transportation or logistics services" is the second. Those are both used and mean different things, otherwise they'd use the same phrase.

So when referring to receiving transportation services, it is prohibited to allow a minor to receive these services (i.e. take a ride) unaccompanied, which is specifically mentioned.

This is different than the use of one's account, which can expose personal and banking data of the account holder to third parties.

The Q&A is used for a quick reference. They do not contradict each other. You may order a ride for a third party, unless they are a minor traveling without accompaniment.

13. RussellP

RussellP Active Member

Driving:
    Lyft
    I guess that settles it! Yea I was never really worried about insurance liability... It was more like bad behavior I was worried about... Though I don't really run in to much of that. So then the only question is about making detours or stops... I wonder if the account holder could dispute a charge...

14. UberChicago80

UberChicago80 Active Member

It is important to ensure all oax enjoy their ride - whether they are the account holder or not

15. MSUGrad9902

If you have a text from them saying the passenger is a different person it's going to be really difficult for them to challenge the fare, or the route, unless they cancel mid-trip. Either way you have a record from the account holder in writing asking you to provide transport to their designated person.

16. steveK2016

steveK2016 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    The TOS is stating, basically, you can't share your account. You can't make an account and allow third party to use your account freely. Like connecting your account to all of your friends, so for some reason, you want all your friends to ride Uber using your account. Those third parties would have direct access to the account on their devices.

What most are discussing here is the account holder using their own account, on their own device to order a ride for someone else.

Those are two different types of "usage".

The first, you are giving someone access to your account. That is a no-no.

The second, you are not giving anyone access to your account, you are just ordering a ride for someone else. That someone else (third party) has no access to the account thus you are not in violation of the TOS.

That line in the TOS is more than likely to prevent people from doing what I said in the first paragraph, then running a $500 bill because the friend didn't realize it was 3.0x Surge on Select, the account holder then trying to claim that he didn't actually order the Uber themselves, trying to get their money back. To prevent this, they tell you you are not allowed to share access to your account to any third party.

17. RussellP

RussellP Active Member

Driving:
    Lyft
    So, like I said in the original message... 2 guys, using an account named Catherine, and he was able to change the Destination from his phone, so either he had his phone linked to "Catherine's" account, or he actually had Catherine's phone... In either case, isn't that a TOS violation?

18. steveK2016

steveK2016 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    It's possible they are either married or dating, so they share one account. That could technically be a violation. Signing up for Uber is so easy, they ought to just get their own even if they link it to the same card or bank account?

I think i got a pax once that had both their names on it like "Mike and Catherine" or something like that, I could have sworn I've seen one like that before...

19. MSUGrad9902

I'd file this in the "boy named sue" category and don't stress over it.

Danny3xd likes this.
  20. Blackcab

Blackcab Active Member

No wonder you guys make no money