1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Passenger Mismatch

Discussion in 'Advice' started by RussellP, Jan 10, 2017.

1. RussellP

RussellP Active Member

Driving:
    Lyft
    I'm curious how do you folks deal with people calling Uber's for someone else? Is there anything official from Uber about how we should handle that situation?

Here's the scenario from last night:

I get a ride request for "Hampton Street" , pax name "Catherine" with no address #. It was right at 1AM when the bars close and there's only one 1 bar on that street, so I assumed that's where it was. I pulled up and hit confirm I've arrived. I waited a minute or so and I don't see anyone on the street so I send a text. "Are you at Tomaso's Canteen?" No reply. So I then call the passenger... A woman answers, and I said "Hi, I didn't get an exact location are you at Tomaso's Canteen?" and she replied "I'm not sure, hold on, I'll tell them you're there." <end of call>. Wait 2 more minutes and two men come out. Needless to say, neither one was named Catherine. This happens at least twice a week for me... someone orders an uber using their phone, but the ride is for someone else. As soon as they got in though I asked them to confirm the destination and they said they wanted to make a little detour... I told them I really can't, I have the address entered into the app, and said they'd need to change it on Catherine's phone... but then he said he had Catherine's phone... and was able to change the destination... so idk... I feel like if the passenger requesting the ride isn't present I should probably say just kick them out and say no, and cancel. After the ride, i ended up rating Catherine 1 star for doing that.

How do you deal with it , if at all?

2. unPat

unPat Well-Known Member

I usually ask who ordered the uber. If the name is correct I take them.

3. FL_Dex

FL_Dex Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    It depends on who it is. If the ride is for an unaccompanied minor, it's not happening. If it's four college age guys named "Diane" I'm driving away. I would have driven away on your call. People riding on someone else's account have zero accountability and that's how they treat you and your car. You also have no idea who they are or how they got the phone or account they're using.

Every day I get an rider/account mismatch at some point. One call was someone sending a car for family because they had a flat tire. I was glad to take that one (1.4x surge).

I actually wish Uber would implement an "order a car" feature. That way you know the account holder authorized it. I would send a car to the airport to get family when they fly in at inconvenient times. It would be convenient for corporate customers as well. Make them put in a contact number for the rider, so we can reach them.

4. wk1102

wk1102 Well-Known Member

Uber says that it is okay to order a ride for someone else. Just make sure they know the name of the person who ordered the ride.

If you feel it's a scam, cancel.

simpsonsverytall likes this.
  5. Oh-Lord

Oh-Lord Well-Known Member

This is what I do. Confirm account holder' name and then confirm address. And then no turns or detours.

6. DriverPsycho

DriverPsycho Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I don't take them, it's a liability in case of an accident

UberEsq likes this.
  7. PTUber

PTUber Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Why would it be a liability in case of an accident??

It's not a big deal as far as I'm concerned. Wives using their husbands account, GF using their BF's account, hookers using the John's account, etc.

Shangsta and RussellP like this.
  8. RussellP

RussellP Active Member

Driving:
    Lyft
    Well, its the account holder who agrees to the terms of service for uber riders / community guidelines... Any arbitrary passenger in your car could claim they are not bound to those terms and conditions...

9. Karen Stein

Karen Stein Well-Known Member

It's very common- some days half my rides were ordered by another.

Examples are parents ordering for their kids, and employment agencies calling for an employee.

Matching names is iffy; sometimes they don't/ can't possibly know the name on the account. That's why I always ask them where we're going .... I figure they know that much! The answers might not be a perfect match ( often they'll say "ABC Industries" while Uber is telling me "1705 Business Park Drive), but it's enough to verify I have the right person.

New Member 0001365427 likes this.
  10. MSUGrad9902

MSUGrad9902 Well-Known Member

If I get any kind of hinky feeling - I send a text to the account holder to verify that the pax is a male / female / group. Then you have a record that the pax ordered a ride for a third party. If they do it verbally ("Hey I ordered this ride can you make sure my friends get home safely")it'll get picked up by the dash cam microphone.

11. Beur

Beur Well-Known Member

Not true, from Uber's rider TOS

"You may not authorize third parties to use your Account." https://www.uber.com/legal/terms/us/

If the name don't match I don't take them, too many people ordering for others then claiming they never took or authorized the ride. Uber takes the money from you no questions asked.

12. MSUGrad9902

I don't think ordering a ride for your friend is the same as "authorizing a third party to use your account."

13. simpsonsverytall

simpsonsverytall Well-Known Member

we r doing biz.
    As long as they are <5min, 18+, verify the account name, and prob something else i can't think of atm = we're good

me = ordered an uber?
    someguy = "yea Catherine"

we're good

in this day and age, a Mike can be a Catherine, so if it ever came down to some horrible insurance thing, we can lawyer up and play dumb in this specific scenario.

14. Beur

Beur Well-Known Member

That's the problem you don't think.

Is the friend the account holder? No, that makes your friend a third party.

15. yojimboguy

yojimboguy Well-Known Member

You're just flat out wrong. Uber explicitly says you the account holder can order a car for another person.

Danny3xd likes this.
  16. MSUGrad9902

Why don't you post the whole paragraph?

The Service is not available for use by persons under the age of 18. You may not authorize third parties to use your Account, and you may not allow persons under the age of 18 to receive transportation or logistics services from Third Party Providers unless they are accompanied by you. You may not assign or otherwise transfer your Account to any other person or entity. You agree to comply with all applicable laws when accessing or using the Services, and you may only access or use the Services for lawful purposes (e.g., no transport of unlawful or hazardous materials). You may not in your access or use of the Services cause nuisance, annoyance, inconvenience, or property damage, whether to the Third Party Provider or any other party. In certain instances you may be asked to provide proof of identity to access or use the Services, and you agree that you may be denied access to or use of the Services if you refuse to provide proof of identity.

Blackout 702 likes this.
  17. wk1102

wk1102 Well-Known Member

Read further, you can 100% order a ride for someone else. that is not third party authorization. Third party authorization would be if I gave you my password and user name and you logged on to my account to order a ride.

If I order you a ride I, the account holder am authorizing the trip.

From the help menu of the rider app... 20170111_152519.png Screenshot_20170111-152554.png

Attached Files:

SmokestaXX and simpsonsverytall like this.
  18. steveK2016

steveK2016 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    This is something that just got brought up in another thread. I've never heard of this concern before today...

So under RussellPRussellP assumption, even if the account holder is on board, his/her 3 other friends are not covered by Uber insurance?

I don't think so....

It doesn't matter if certain people are not accountable. What matters is ONE person is accountable, the account holder, whether or not she/he is in the vehicle.

Those pax have accountability, to their friend. You think your friend will just shrug off a $150 cleaning bill because you puked in her Uber, whether or not the account holder was present in the car or not?

You don't know the account holder any more than you know the actual pax.

What I'll do is talk to the account holder and make sure everything is correct. You're not riding? Who is? I then ask them to text me "(Account Holder Name) Authorizes (Pax Names) to ride Uber using my account"

19. galileo5

galileo5 Well-Known Member

Where specifically does it say in here that rides for friends are allowed? B/c I interpret this to mean it's not allowed:
    "You may not authorize third parties to use your Account ..."

20. wk1102

wk1102 Well-Known Member

20170111_152519.png Screenshot_20170111-152554.png

RussellP and simpsonsverytall like this.