Uber Drivers Forum banner
  • If you have joined UberPeople.net because your Uber account was hacked, you've likely been taken in by a scam. Please read this before starting a thread on this subject.

Passenger Knocks on My Door - Find My iPhone Locator

11K views 209 replies 42 participants last post by  NYCFunDriver 
#1 ·
I found a lost phone in my car around 3AM, but wasn't sure who's it was as I didn't get any missing items notifications from both platforms. Drove the grave yard shift and came home around 8AM. I was hanging out with a fellow ant at my apartment sharing stories, and all of a sudden I hear a knock on my door.

"Hey, do you know who's car (uber) that is? I know that I left my phone in the uber and need to know which unit that car belongs to".

We were like WTF as I live in a gated apartment complex, and the couple drove to my house based on their phone locator. I mean kinda messed up as they didn't contact uber to go through the proper channels, but part of me was kinda like well saves me the headache as they showed up at my front door and I returned their phone.

Almost forgot to request the $15 return fee, but writing this post reminded me and submitted the fee request.

Kinda f'd up what they did, but part of me is relieved as this was the easiest $15 I ever made. LOL

#3 ·
With a lost phone the first step is always turning it off. If you are in possession of it sometimes the phone can get reported stolen and you can get into trouble for doing nothing wrong. IPhone and Android users with these apps, like Lookout, can also see the last known location of the phone. I had a lost iPhone in my ride once and was going to return it the following day. Suddenly I noticed texts coming through with Google Maps screenshots of my apartment. **** that, turned it off and waited for the lost item alert.

#7 ·
I've had just two left phones in my car. Discovered them both right away when they started to chime and drove them back immediately. One gentleman gave me a $20 tip for the trouble. The other, a drunk at a crowded bar that I had no problems locating as soon as I walked in due to her loud voice. She wanted to buy me a drink. I settled for a hug. I have returned wallets immediately too. Don't want to wait; don't care about the $15 return bonus. Just put myself in their shoes and would like someone to be considerate to me like that.

#14 ·
Had something similar happen. Guy left his phone in the car. I didn't see it when doing the after shift look around. Next day my wife is using the car and is at an animal clinic. Guy comes in to the clinic and asks who's gray Prius that is outside. Wife says hers. They go out and find the phone. Wife verifies he can unlock it and off he goes with it. Glad it wasn't at the house when he tracked it down because you never know.

#17 ·
When I discover a phone the first thing I do is try to remember if they tipped or not.
Usually, it's easy because the last tip I had was Halloween of 2016; given to me by some witch.

If the answer is 'no tip', I drop it in the nearest mail box. Right away too.
I have driven away from a few noisy mail boxes.

Heard a phone ringing in the backseat once. Remembered it was a couple of guys going out to watch Monday Night Football at the local sports bar. They tipped, so I answered it. It was the owner. He said, "We gonna be here for a couple of hours, no rush." I said, cool I will hang on to it.
An hour later he called and I admitted I had forgotten about it.
I said I had just gotten a ping and I'd be driving right past in a few minutes. He said that he'd meet me out front. He was toes on the curb when I pulled up. Literally took seconds to hand him the phone, and for him to hand me another handsome gratuity.
The only time I've ever returned lost property. But, he was a stand-up guy, so ...

#19 ·
Don't really care. It's getting tossed out if I'm not near them.
I guess I would get over being pissed if they came to my house as I live way out in BFE.
Doubt they would even make it on my property to get to my driveway without my dog eating them.

The few phones I have tossed were ones that were a few hours earlier and out of my way.

Who doesn't have insurance on their phone these days anyway?
Yes but people have pictures of their kids, pets, work emails, voicemails, etc linked to their phones that you have to realize you are throwing out as well. Some of that isn't replaceable with insurance. Throwing it away is a ****** move and speaks a lot about how much you care about anyone but yourself. If it happened to you you'd be pissed.

#21 ·
Yes but people have pictures of their kids, pets, work emails, voicemails, etc linked to their phones that you have to realize you are throwing out as well. Some of that isn't replaceable with insurance. Throwing it away is a @@@@@@ move and speaks a lot about how much you care about anyone but yourself. If it happened to you you'd be pissed.
Yes but all that is easily accessible on either Google when you sign back into a new phone or Iphone cloud.

When I get a new phone it asks me for my Google login and once that's set all my stuff magically appears on my new phone.

#20 ·
Not correct, you can basically put all phones in two categories, iPhone and android,

All iPhones you hold power button until it turns off, can take quite a few seconds, this applies to iPhone 4.5.6.7.8.9.10 so that is basically half of all phones
Nope. This is wrong.
This does NOT work on iPhone 10.
You obviously haven't tried.

There is a way, but it's not holding down power button like on other iPhones.

#28 ·
I found a lost phone in my car around 3AM, but wasn't sure who's it was as I didn't get any missing items notifications from both platforms. Drove the grave yard shift and came home around 8AM. I was hanging out with a fellow ant at my apartment sharing stories, and all of a sudden I hear a knock on my door.

"Hey, do you know who's car (uber) that is? I know that I left my phone in the uber and need to know which unit that car belongs to".

We were like WTF as I live in a gated apartment complex, and the couple drove to my house based on their phone locator. I mean kinda messed up as they didn't contact uber to go through the proper channels, but part of me was kinda like well saves me the headache as they showed up at my front door and I returned their phone.

Almost forgot to request the $15 return fee, but writing this post reminded me and submitted the fee request.

Kinda f'd up what they did, but part of me is relieved as this was the easiest $15 I ever made. LOL
Police actually advise those searching for their iphones
NOT to do what u described.
Law Enforcement prefers civilians allow them to approach the subject.
U never know what Low life may be in-wait

But, as u experienced, many still risk and conduct their own search

Yes but people have pictures of their kids, pets, work emails, voicemails, etc linked to their phones that you have to realize you are throwing out as well. Some of that isn't replaceable with insurance. Throwing it away is a @@@@@@ move and speaks a lot about how much you care about anyone but yourself. If it happened to you you'd be pissed.
Seriously, all that "stuff" on their phones should be backed up in the Cloud.
It's automatic with my iPad & iPhone .

Lose the phone, u still have everything high in the sky

#31 ·
Police actually advise those searching for their iphones
NOT to do what u described.
Law Enforcement prefers civilians allow them to approach the subject.
U never know what Low life may be in-wait

But, as u experienced, many still risk and conduct their own search

Seriously, all that "stuff" on their phones should be backed up in the Cloud.
It's automatic with my iPad & iPhone .

Lose the phone, u still have everything high in the sky

If you are smart, you won't back up lots of things to the cloud. Just because you people do doesn't mean everyone else does.. iCloud is not entirely safe, and a vast majority of phone users don't backup their files. Especially Android users. Anyone who throws a phone in the trash simply because it was left in your car is a heartless, senseless, uncompassionate ********. Gotta reevaluate your life at that point.. no respect for anyone but yourselves. Change that and good things may even start to come your way.

#45 ·
Wow some of you are ruthless. I have found 3 items in my car. A credit card in between the seats that could have been there for a week. Ended up dropping it off at B of A. A little gift from someone in a wedding party, dropped it off at the hotel they were staying in on my next drop off. And finally a cell phone from one of the passengers of the paying rider. He left me a $5 tip on a $6 ride as soon as the ride ended. About an hour later I get a message from Uber that a passenger left an item in my car. About the same time the phone started sounding an alarm with a message on the screen. I was sitting 20 yards from where they were. I returned the phone and responded to Uber that I returned it. They gave me a nice gift for returning the phone. Uber on the other hand screwed me as Uber likes to do. Instead of giving me the $15 returned item fee they only gave me $10 noting that the customer already gave me a $5 tip. I promptly disputed this saying the tip was left before they ever knew the phone was missing. Ubers response, Sorry that is our policy. So while Uber did leave a bad taste in my mouth I will still try to return lost items. If it is a long distance or out of my way return I will make sure I get reimbursed before doing the return otherwise they can come pick up the item at the local police department.

#47 ·
Instead of giving me the $15 returned item fee they only gave me $10 noting that the customer already gave me a $5 tip. I promptly disputed this saying the tip was left before they ever knew the phone was missing. Ubers response, Sorry that is our policy. So while Uber did leave a bad taste in my mouth I will still try to return lost items.
Like you, I try to return every lost item. Just because it's the right thing to do.

But that thing about deducting the tip from the fee is just WAY wrong on Uber's part. Sleaziest thing I've ever heard of.

Christine

#48 ·
Wow some of you are ruthless.
Naw not really.
Only the ones who have gone out of our way to help someone who seemed to really need it, and got SCREWED. Only those folks might be without ruth.

Like the guy that found someone's phone at 3am, went home tired and went to bed expecting contact from Uber, and instead was woke up five hours later by a cop banging on his door accusing him of being in possession of stolen property.
HE might me kinda ruthless about the next lost phone he discovers.

Or the guy that noticed that a pax had left a briefcase in the trunk of his car. The pax called and promised a 'big tip' if he delivered it to his hotel. When he arrived he found the room full of cops who were in the process of busting the guy for 'operating a residence for the purpose of consumption of drugs', and when they saw what was in the locked briefcase arrested him for possession of the six ounces of cocaine (all split up into gram packages) in it.
HE might be a little on the 'ruthless' side.

I hope you don't forget what you do for Uber. You pick up a warm body from point A; and deposit said body, unscathed and unmarked to point B. That's it. THAT'S ALL!

Memorize this: "I don't have your (fill in the blank). Never saw it. Don't have it. Will never have it. Good luck, bye."
That's all you need to know.

I am, forever your,
UberBastid

#49 ·
Naw not really.
Only the ones who have gone out of our way to help someone who seemed to really need it, and got SCREWED. Only those folks might be without ruth.

Like the guy that found someone's phone at 3am, went home tired and went to bed expecting contact from Uber, and instead was woke up five hours later by a cop banging on his door accusing him of being in possession of stolen property.
HE might me kinda ruthless about the next lost phone he discovers.

Or the guy that noticed that a pax had left a briefcase in the trunk of his car. The pax called and promised a 'big tip' if he delivered it to his hotel. When he arrived he found the room full of cops who were in the process of busting the guy for 'operating a residence for the purpose of consumption of drugs', and when they saw what was in the locked briefcase arrested him for possession of the six ounces of cocaine (all split up into gram packages) in it.
HE might be a little on the 'ruthless' side.

I hope you don't forget what you do for Uber. You pick up a warm body from point A; and deposit said body, unscathed and unmarked to point B. That's it. THAT'S ALL!

Memorize this: "I don't have your (fill in the blank). Never saw it. Don't have it. Will never have it. Good luck, bye."
That's all you need to know.

I am, forever your,
UberBastid
Preach, ya bastid

#56 ·
I hope that you never forget to take your phone with you when you leave a restaurant or a bar.
I HAVE forgotten my telephone and other articles at or in bars, restaurants, baseball games, trains, aeroplanes, wrent-a-wrecks, taxicabs, busses and a host of others. I understood that there were consequences to my carelessness and paid said consequences. Of course, I would try to retrieve said property with which I had been careless. If I were successful, then goody goody for me. If not, of course, I did not like it, but, I understood that it was a consequence of my carelessness.

One of the signs of adulthood is that you understand that actions (or lack thereof) have consequences and that you are prepared to pay the consequences of your actions (or lack thereof).

#54 ·
Problem is most phones you can't turn them off they're locked.
Samsung Galaxy Note8 - Soft Reset (Frozen / Unresponsive Screen)
  1. Press and hold the Power and Volume Down buttons until the device powers off (approx. 10 seconds). Allow several seconds for the Maintenance Boot Mode screen to appear.
How to turn off iPhone X
  1. Press and hold either Volume Up or Volume Down and the Side button for a few seconds.
  2. The power off slider should appear. Simply swipe the slider, and iPhone will turn off.

#57 ·
I HAVE forgotten my telephone and other articles at or in bars, restaurants, baseball games, trains, aeroplanes, wrent-a-wrecks, taxicabs, busses and a host of others. I understood that there were consequences to my carelessness and paid said consequences. Of course, I would try to retrieve said property with which I had been careless. If I were successful, then goody goody for me. If not, of course, I did not like it, but, I understood that it was a consequence of my carelessness.

One of the signs of adulthood is that you understand that actions (or lack thereof) have consequences and that you are prepared to pay the consequences of your actions (or lack thereof).
What are you, my ex? I can't tell you how many phones I had to find or replace for her! :confused:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.