1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Passenger Complaint: Uber Drivers Call Him to See if the Fare is "Worth It"

Discussion in 'Complaints' started by annstan60, Dec 7, 2016.

1. annstan60

annstan60 Member

I had a nice, hardworking construction guy tonight in Abington going to Hanson. He said that because he doesn't have a license he uses Uber a lot to get to & from work when he needs to (often). However, he said that because his work is often in "remote" area (i.e.Abington) & his destination is also in a somewhat "remote" area (Hanson), he's annoyed that after he requests an Uber ride MANY TIMES the driver will call him & ask where his destination is! If they don't like what they hear, they cancel the trip. That's just not right. I hate to sound all goody-goody, but we're in the business of getting people to or from their destinations. Drivers shouldn't be calling potential passengers to see if the trip is "worth it". End of rant.

cakoo10, Spike72, tdoes and 19 others like this.
  2. Blackout 702

Blackout 702 Well-Known Member

Actually we are in the ride share business. I'm not a cab or a bus driver. If I don't want to share a ride, I don't. It's unfortunate that some riders don't understand the distinction.

Kembolicous, Cygnus, CherylC and 70 others like this.
  3. SEAL Team 5

SEAL Team 5 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Livery
    That's a pretty damn good analogy of rideshare.

Uberon1986, CherylC, Jiynks and 18 others like this.
  4. DirtyRead

DirtyRead Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    For some reason all logic and practical business sense are forgotten or just out right ignored. We are not civil services. We don’t get paid by the city, state or federal gov. We are not obligated to do anything we don’t want. Man, it took Mcdonalds how low to offer breakfast after 10am. Why because even though the sell food they felt it was not profitable to sell breakfast all day. They were wrong but thats not the point. The fact that anyone can call us doesn’t mean we have to drive everyone. Now myself I would take the guy the first and establish additional compensation to do it next time if need be. But enough of the soccer mom soapbox statements. The customer is always right is not in the Bill of Rights and the aint a customer until I agree to the job. 98% acceptance rate chanes are great i will pick you up.

supernaut, qaz, ramilv and 16 others like this.
  5. Hogg

Hogg Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, sometimes drivers have to do things like that to make sure they don't lose money on a trip. The ride share companies are all too happy to send a driver on a trip that will end up with a net loss for that driver.

They could easily make sure that all trips are profitable with the information they have. They know the starting and stopping points for the trip, as well as the average amount of requests, or likelyhood of getting a request in both areas. They have the VIN numbers for all the cars in the system and could easily get fuel MPG information for each car. They know where we are and if we will have to use toll roads before picking up or after dropping off a passenger.

The fact is that they don't look out for us. I have been on money losing trips several times and won't be tricked into taking another one.

6. DrivingZiggy

DrivingZiggy Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I got $1.75 put in my account for those extra miles. Not much, but it's something.

7. Drago619

Drago619 Active Member

make no mistake..your a cab driver using an app to be connected with fares..they use the term ride share to get around all the legalities of it...because drivers pull this move so much now every ones cancel rate is on watch and drivers that may have to many legit cancel trips get deactivated..if you dont want to take fares in certain places then dont drive with your app on in those places..if your gonna try and only drive surge then only turn on when needed. getting bad trips is the cost of doing business. of course everyone knows its your car and your business and you can run it as you see fit..but i will agree with uber when you get deactivated for to many cancels.

Sueron, JoeyA, tdoes and 12 others like this.
  8. steveK2016

steveK2016 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    A rider is not obligated to tell the calling driver where he's going.

However, I would suggest to him that if both pick and and drop off is remote, to tip his drivers. There is probably only a few drivers that would be in his pickup zone if it truly is as remote as he says and eventually they'll learn his pickup location. If he doesn't tip, he may get more and more issues getting a ride even if he doesn't disclose his destination.

I dont know if the newest app does it still, but at one point when a ride was canceled it'll ask if the driver called and asked them to cancel. I'm sure Uber will hold those type of reports against you if the driver does it often.

All can be solved by tipping the drivers though!

supernaut, Michaacb, ramilv and 7 others like this.
  9. Blackout 702

Actually, no. You're wrong. I am not a cabbie. I am a ride share driver. That's why I have the option of talking with a potential passenger before I even drive to their location so that I can determine if I would like to take them to their destination or not. Let's say I need to get to my full-time job in 45 minutes and my passenger wants to go somewhere that's an hour away. I have the right and the ability to simply decline the request.

Driving with my app turned off would not have any effect on this situation except to cause me to lose out on the time that I have left so that was kind of a dumb suggestion. Getting bad trips is not the cost of doing business for me, but apparently it is for you. Sorry about that. Uber takes into account that some trips will be cancelled for various reasons, and that's why the ability is built into the app.

If you don't know the difference between a cabbie and a ride share driver then you should read a few more threads on the subject, or maybe do some research on the Internet.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
  10. Blackout 702

Then that rider is going exactly nowhere.

11. Drago619

Drago619 Active Member

You realy think the option in the app to contact the rider is to find out where they are going??? Ok.....ride share driver or cabbie..both for hire driving..please dont think your better because you dont have a sign on top of your car.

12. steveK2016

steveK2016 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    You are entitled to make auch a policy, but know that Uber is keen on this tactic and it may not be long before it catches up to you. This may not be the best paying job out there, but if we had better options we would have already taken it by now.

Hope it doesnt bite ya in the butt but as long as you understand and accept that risk, its on you.

13. Blackout 702

Uh... yeah, see when you call or text someone, you can actually say anything that you'd like. It's really amazing technology that's been out now for several decades. Again, you really should do some research.

14. Blackout 702

Awesome, thanks.

Scratchington and MidKnightHer like this.
  15. Shangsta

Shangsta Well-Known Member

His mistake was answering the call. If I was a pax I would not answer a call or text for my destination. Sure the driver may cancel but it could be a long profitable trip for him he is choosing to miss out on.

While I get the uber screws us part of cherry picking. Really you are screwing other drivers.

MidKnightHer likes this.
  16. I_Like_Spam

I_Like_Spam Well-Known Member

The passenger wants to get from where he is, to where he wants to be. He's "missing out" as well as he won't get picked up. The next Uber partner to accept the ping, might be a local Hanson guy who wants to get near his own home.

As far as Uber "cracking down" on "cherry picking", that is a real problem for Uber as partners aren't inclined to take losing trips for any kind of extended period.

17. Blackout 702

I don't get the logic here. A rider wants to go from point A to point B. I, as a driver, want to take him from point A to point B. His last driver didn't want to take him on that particular drive, so I got the call (and the fare). How did I get screwed?

18. crazy916

crazy916 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    If the trip destination wasn't profitable after I picked you up, I would inform you that you need to cancel the trip because I am not driving there and to call your next driver and let them know so you are not wasting his or your time.

tdoes, supernaut, acanas and 6 others like this.
  19. elelegido

elelegido Well-Known Member

Then have him call a cab. Rideshare is a bargain basement ride service - not all rides, including long distance one ways, are suitable for rideshare at base rates.

20. UberHammer

UberHammer Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    That's not why they didn't sell breakfast after 10am. They didn't sell it after 10am because the grills needed to be set at a lower temperature for cooking eggs and a higher temperature for cooking hamburgers. They would stop selling breakfast, turn up the temp on the grills, and start selling hamburgers.

Of course what they serve today really isn't food, so it is all just heated at the same grill temperature.