• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Passenger Behavior: abuse, discrimination, belittling, job shaming, criminal behavior, etc

CarpeNoctem

It is probably not good but I will play with those bastitches.

"What brings you into my car today?"
"Do you think Uber rates are low enough?"
"There is the Uber Black SUV service that you should consider."

Except for the occasional chigger, they can only get under your skin if you let them.

GL1800SK

you can always stop the ride and ask them to exit the vehicle. You're going to end up with a 1* anyway, might as well earn it. There are a million excuses as to why you stopped the ride, and at the end of day, don't forget it is YOUR car.

or option 2, ignore and drive. if they are looking to get a rise out of you, then they won, because they did. @@@@ em, it's only a ride. Who cares what they think about you? Chances are you will never see them again. I pretty much cover the same area Mon-Thu, and I have yet to pick up the same person twice.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ricardo Resolute

I'm considering filing at least one law suit, though there are dozens of abusive incidents. I haven't done Uber/Lyft in almost a year b/c the passengers are so frequently abusive I'll kill someone if I do it anymore.

Top 3 reasons why I don't support ride share:

• Can't make money/Lose money (it's a scam), they insidously pull out the rug on pay, abusive company with sociopathic treatment of drivers/poor customer service for everyone.
  • Frequent abusive passengers. Job shaming, harassment, bad attitudes, criminal behavior, etc.
  • Ride share industry has severely increased traffic in major cities - Traffic is so bad now I can't take it anymore.
Please share any personal stories of abusive passengers that qualifies for criminal charges or civil lawsuits.

The one particular incident I'm most considering filing a civll lawsuit was a group of 3 people (black male, white female, white male probably visiting for work) I picked up from Top Golf Alpharetta Summer 2017. The white male sat in the front passenger seat the other two in the back. The guy in the front began belittling me the second in got in the car. A) I'm paying attention to the road and treat people with respect B) I'm in shock at this guys behavior and though the people in the back seat were not abusive their non-chalant disposition while he was saying these things to me is disturbing. I arrive at Top Golf, the passengers get in the car, I say hi, the doesn't say hi and says, "Well you have your spa music on." What? I was listening to David Gilmour (Pink Floyd). I didn't know what he meant, thought he was critisizing the music choice? The entire ride was insidous but blatant abuse.

He said:

"Well, you have your spa music on".
The CEO of Uber resigned, "You could put in (a job application) for that."
Then they talked about gun control politics in my car. The guy in the front seat asked me what I thought (with patronizing attitude only to belittle, manipulate, abuse) though I don't like that I replied to steer the conversation to a lighter topic. Not in my car, not at my dinner table.
At drop off he said "5 stars" like you're a tool, no tip.

This guy was one of if not the most arrogant people I've ever encountered. He thinks he's some Wall Street character. I was exposed to this an extended period of time (30 minute ride) but it was subtle over the entire ride. Someone mentioned something about "the lab" so perhaps they are in pharmaseutical industry. If this guy was in my car now I would video the entire ride and he would be fired from whatever job and sued easily. And his head might still be smashed into the window.
You’ve chosen to deal with the 👉general public👈
Which can be
Challenging ✔
And
Exhausting.✔

👉Almost 1 million USA uber drivers do it everyday
without incident🎉

TheDevilisaParttimer

I'm considering filing at least one law suit, though there are dozens of abusive incidents. I haven't done Uber/Lyft in almost a year b/c the passengers are so frequently abusive I'll kill someone if I do it anymore.

• Can't make money/Lose money (it's a scam), they insidously pull out the rug on pay, abusive company with sociopathic treatment of drivers/poor customer service for everyone.
  • Frequent abusive passengers. Job shaming, harassment, bad attitudes, criminal behavior, etc.
  • Ride share industry has severely increased traffic in major cities - Traffic is so bad now I can't take it anymore.
Please share any personal stories of abusive passengers that qualifies for criminal charges or civil lawsuits.

The one particular incident I'm most considering filing a civll lawsuit was a group of 3 people (black male, white female, white male probably visiting for work) I picked up from Top Golf Alpharetta Summer 2017. The white male sat in the front passenger seat the other two in the back. The guy in the front began belittling me the second in got in the car. A) I'm paying attention to the road and treat people with respect B) I'm in shock at this guys behavior and though the people in the back seat were not abusive their non-chalant disposition while he was saying these things to me is disturbing. I arrive at Top Golf, the passengers get in the car, I say hi, the doesn't say hi and says, "Well you have your spa music on." What? I was listening to David Gilmour (Pink Floyd). I didn't know what he meant, thought he was critisizing the music choice? The entire ride was insidous but blatant abuse.

He said:

Then they talked about gun control politics in my car. The guy in the front seat asked me what I thought (with patronizing attitude only to belittle, manipulate, abuse) though I don't like that I replied to steer the conversation to a lighter topic. Not in my car, not at my dinner table.

This guy was one of if not the most arrogant people I've ever encountered. He thinks he's some Wall Street character. I was exposed to this an extended period of time (30 minute ride) but it was subtle over the entire ride. Someone mentioned something about "the lab" so perhaps they are in pharmaseutical industry. If this guy was in my car now I would video the entire ride and he would be fired from whatever job and sued easily. And his head might still be smashed into the window.
Sorry about your experience but honestly, your going to have to toughen up.

MadTownUberD

The Trendy Transporter
I would LOVE IT if some arrogant pax tried to "job shame" me. They'd get a quick, embarrassing education about prejudice, and I'd end it with "I really don't need to drive"...almost daring them to ask me to prove it.

Fozzie

"Sorry! Let me find some better music..." *switch music selection to either Engelbert Humperdinck or Tom Jones *

"I have a better job where I don't have to be a kiss ass and can throw people out of my car if they piss me off.."

"I agree that Second Amendment rights are important... want to see the S&W in my purse?"

"You can't make car payments or buy groceries with stars. Don't forget to tip too..."

I have a very low tolerance level for idiots. Remember that it's your car, and you don't have to take shit from anyone. On Monday I had an idiot passenger. He got into the car, and while I was starting the ride, he started in with "I'm late for work, let's go." I replied with "I've been waiting for 4 1/2 minutes for you to come out to the car. Your fault, not mine." He then said "just shut up and drive." I immediately pulled over and screamed "GTFO of my car NOW!" Mr tough guy was terrified, and cancelled the ride on his side before I could cancel on mine. That worked, and I collected my cancel fee.

NEVER take shit from passengers.

JasonLV23

If I sense attitude with ANYONE before I start a ride then the trip is never started. I simply say "Ubers/Lyft policy is that I do not have to accept a ride if I as a driver feel uncomfortable. I don't deserve nor care for your attitude.... find yourself another driver. Have a great day!" Drive off ... NEXT!

Diamondraider

He said:

This just sounds like a socially awkward exchange..

Any chance you are under a little more stress at the time of the “incident”.

Sorry, this just seems like a NothingBurger

Rosalita

He said:

[/QUOTE

Being an older driver I can get away with being condescending, "Here, Honey, let me help you with that seat belt. You look like you're struggling."

The Gift of Fish

He said:

I don't get paid enough to get riled up by pax. I know that some pax are morons and some pax are not morons. I decide if I let the morons get to me, and I choose not to.

I had a failure-to-launch ride this morning. I rolled up to a very steep but short (30 feet) driveway. The pax was standing at bottom of the driveway, which was so steep that her head was probably 5 feet below the level of my car. She motioned me to drive down the driveway. I told her that I would not drive down her driveway as I would scrape the bottom of my car on the gradient change. She again told me to drive down it and started motioning with her hand. The house backed onto a beach and was obviously worth a million or two; she probably thought that I was some kind of servant. I just asked her if she could walk up and got no answer, so apparently not. I no showed her without waiting for the $4 fee - she may have decided to walk up the driveway and there was no way I was going to let such a low quality pax rate me. I was a little annoyed because it was a nice long airport run, but at the same time satisfied because she probably does not get refused service from the hired help too often.

Anyway, the point is that scum is a dime a dozen in this game - you need to find a way to deal with it that is not harmful to you.

welikecamping

I had a recent conversation that went like this:

I arrive at the pin location and the countdown starts.... at three minutes, I get a call "Yo, man, are you in the back?" "Yes, I am at the pin location" "Well, you need to come to the front, just inside the gate". "Okay, no problem, I'll be right there"

I move back to the front of the apartment complex, just inside the gate.

At 30 seconds, another call. "Yo, where you at, man?" "I'm right inside the gate, waiting for you" "You not at the gate, man, the gate is closed, you need a code to get through the gate" "The gate was open, I'm here" "No you not man, I can't see you...." Meanwhile the timer runs out.

Cancel. Collect my $5 and move on to the next one.

To be fair, my very first ride that day was from an apartment complex in downtown Scottsdale, and the conversation (and result), was very similar.

I hate to discriminate against an entire metro region, but this ride, and the two Wal-mart runs that occurred before it are a huge part of why I will not drive west of the 51, unless I am taking a passenger there. This time, it was a long-haul to the far west valley, and I was trying to make up for my expenses on the return trip. After that last failure, I spent about 5 minutes cussing myself out for even trying in this area, as I logged out of the system and drove back into my preferred area.

I've noticed that since I stopped doing westside Phoenix, my star rating has not dropped below 4.99, my tips are significantly higher, and I am a happier person. Maybe it's me, because my attitude goes to crap whenever I get a west side run. I really feel bad for the westside people that depend on rideshare drivers, but honestly, I'm done with no car-seat kiddies, unaccompanied minors, and the general attitude of the people I've met over there. It really sucks that I actually grew up on the west side, but will not go back. I like people, I can get along with most anybody, but I also have a low tolerance for asshattery.

JasonLV23

"Sorry! Let me find some better music..." *switch music selection to either Engelbert Humperdinck or Tom Jones *

"I have a better job where I don't have to be a kiss ass and can throw people out of my car if they piss me off.."

"I agree that Second Amendment rights are important... want to see the S&W in my purse?"

"You can't make car payments or buy groceries with stars. Don't forget to tip too..."

I have a very low tolerance level for idiots. Remember that it's your car, and you don't have to take shit from anyone. On Monday I had an idiot passenger. He got into the car, and while I was starting the ride, he started in with "I'm late for work, let's go." I replied with "I've been waiting for 4 1/2 minutes for you to come out to the car. Your fault, not mine." He then said "just shut up and drive." I immediately pulled over and screamed "GTFO of my car NOW!" Mr tough guy was terrified, and cancelled the ride on his side before I could cancel on mine. That worked, and I collected my cancel fee.

NEVER take shit from passengers.
Well Done!!! :smiles:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Nfs New York City 7
K London 22
Z129 Philadelphia 8