1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Pasadena Handing Out Tickets to Uber Drivers - UPDATE

Discussion in 'Los Angeles & Orange County' started by UberLaLa, Sep 6, 2015.

1. UberLaLa

UberLaLa

ADD: So, last night (2am) I get a 2.8x from DTLA to Pasadena and 7 minutes out from dropping I get a 2.2x Stacked Ping in Pasadena. I know better, but I took it. Sure nuf' it's Old Town Pasadena and I head there after dropping. It's for a female name (typically not the worst gender at bar-close).

As I turn onto Colorado a half block from pick up pin....6 cop cars all along Colorado Blvd right where the passenger supposed to be. Call her (she's ober) and tell her I can't pick up in the red. She agrees to meet me over on Fair Oaks in the white curb zone. I go around the block and she is walking up to the agreed spot with a guy that also looks fine. Right!

Confirm it's her she opens my back door and says, We have two others and they are right there...

Then three guys walk up and start talking to her, Hey this our Uber. I'm saying, Get in and we can go around the block and come back and get your friends. Then her 'friends' come up and start arguing with the three guys hitting on her, now.

Of course a fight breaks out and the yellow jacket Security guys run up to break it up. All the while I'm asking her to get in or close my door. She doesn't. I inch forward and she says, Please don't leave. I says, Let me go around the block and when this straightens out I'll pick you guys up.

Finally she closes my door and I pull away. Promised her I would go around the block so I do...call her and confirm all is good now and they are standing there still. I turn the corner, and yup...they no where in sight. Call her again and she's saying, We are on the corner now. There's like 50 people there.

CANCEL - Drive home and call it a night. A year and a half later...I still say...

NO OLD TOWN PASADENA PICK UPS!

I live in an adjacent city to Pasadena. So, my evening usually starts with someone either needing a ride there, or from there. Then I get pulled West to my typical driving area of DTLA, H-wood, 90210, Santa Monica etc...

By the end of the night I usually need to turn my App off and head back from the West side just before 3am. If I get closer to Pasadena before 2am I'll head over there and catch the Bars letting out to finish off. Last night that is what happened. I actually got a fair from Studio City to Pasadena and after that drop-off three drunk guys, wanting to extend their bachelor party, had me take them to Old Town.

Mr. Pasadena PD explained to me as he handed me a ticket for making a U-Turn before the intersection - which ironically I was actually in, and will have to fight it in court - man, I do not have time to go to court over this. : (

I digress, he said he could also give me a ticket for stopping in the Red zone, but only gave me a warning. To be clear, on the curb, where I let my passengers out, not parked, just stopped. But he said they are writing tickets to Ubers and Taxis for this now. As well, and even more so, if you stop next to parked cars - he says is Double Parking and both the red curb and Double Parking are moving violations in his book.

So, I will no longer turn my App on when close to Pasadena, and if I get a Rider that is going there, I will be letting them know I might need to drop them up to a half block from their destination. Lest I get a ticket.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
  2. observer

observer Moderator

Stopping at a red curb is a ticket in all cities wether you are an Uber driver or not.

tohunt4me, UberLaLa, SumGuy and 4 others like this.
  3. Shakey Jake

Shakey Jake

There is no other way to stop to pick up pax other than stopping at a red curb.

4. UberComic

UberComic

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Pasadena is fine in the morning and during the day. Nighttime is all short runs to/from Old Town.

tohunt4me and UberLaLa like this.
  5. Gretzky

Gretzky

I work in the Pasadena area often, and have not had any issues. But appreciate the heads up, and will be diligent with red zones.

On a side note, the city of Pasadena has recently been harassing cyclist as well :(

6. I hope the Bison will like this post.

7. Showa50

Showa50

Driving:
    UberX
    Pasadena cops can be the worst. There's one motorcycle cop in particular that trolls around Arroyo, between the Chevron station and where the highway begins.

Not to mention these guys ride around with semi automatic rifles on thier bikes. Really!? It's ****ing Pasadena not South Central or Baghdad.

8. UberComic

UberComic

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Watch out for the speed traps on Pasadena Ave between Columbia and California. The speed limit is 30, but should be 40-45. They're trying to get the speed survey down so they don't have to change it.

UberLaLa likes this.
  9. UberLaLa

UberLaLa

Pasadena in general is a big speed trap. Take for instance their One Hour Parking limit. If a car parks on Colorado, it is not allowed to park anywhere else within a 4 block radius, for the next four hours - or get a $55 parking ticket. There are no signs stating this, but they still hand out tickets like candy for doing such - I know, I got one. Pasadena Government is more about generating revenue for their coffers than serving the public. IMHO

10. UberComic

UberComic

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    You also can't park on the street overnight anywhere in Pasadena without a permit. You have to go to one of a few locations to get the permit. They will ticket you if you forget to write your license number LEGIBLY and IN PEN on the permit. I found out the permit does not work on oversize vehicles when I got a ticket on my bus even though I bought the permit and wrote the plate number LEGIBLY and IN PEN on it. The oversize vehicle permit practically takes getting a letter from President Obama.

11. SCdave

SCdave

Driving:
    UberX
    This is an area where I see (hopefully) city governments working quickly to improve locations in popular areas like a Pasadena Old Town. The solution isn't giving out tickets, the solution is realizing the growing transportation trend in your city, and making changes that benefit the public.

I understand that Police don't create Taxi/TNC drop-off and pick-up zones but local city agencies. But Police can provide feedback to their city government. Like what is the goal? Giving out tickets or having people who visit your city get there, spend lots of money eating, buying things, drinking, and then getting home safely?

Make it easy, enjoyable, and safe for consumers to visit your city as a destination. This requires your city transportation department creating more zones for pick-up/drop-offs.

Old Town Pasadena and Main St./Huntington Beach off my preferred list of locations to drive to.

UberLaLa and Casuale Haberdasher like this.
  12. UberComic

UberComic

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Huntington Beach is way worse at night than Old Town Pasadena.

13. UberLaLa

UberLaLa

SCdaveSCdave - I couldn't have said it better myself, and exactly why I started this thread. Hollywood Bowl, Rose Bowl, Dodger Stadium, Greek Theater and many others have created Ride Share Lanes and/or drop-off and pick-up zones. City areas like Old Town Pasadena need to do the same. I will follow your lead on Huntington Beach along with my already determined 'Pass' on Old Town until they get with the program.

14. UberLaLa

UberLaLa

Yes, stopping at a Red Curb is a violation of sorts, but in Hollywood or Downtown L.A. they would never give an Uber or Taxi a ticket for such. And, the Pasadena PD was very clear that stopping alongside parked cars (which I rarely do) is a quick ticket as well. Genuinely asking, how do you (observer) pick up and drop your Riders if these two options are a 'no go?'

15. observer

observer Moderator

Some cities, especially the larger cities, don't seem to enforce certain laws. I think it's because in smaller cities the cops have less to do and tickets generate revenue.

I worked in SF for a few years and they were VERY strict on red zones, double parking and rush hour tow aways. If you left your vehicle even for a few minutes, it would get ticketed AND impounded. Costing around 400 bucks to get vehicle out.

Stopping is the same as parking, in a red zone, you don't have to actually put your car in park.

The biggest complaint I heard was " I only parked for a minute".

I don't Uber, but I would pull into a store parking lot or side street.

16. UberLaLa

UberLaLa

I have no problem with dropping Riders in a parking lot down the street, or side street, but Riders do and they will ding us with low ratings - which in the end, will result in less fares and eventual 'Deactivation.'

The huge difference between Rideshare and Taxi is the Rider has direct response (Star Rating) to their ride experience - which is great - but also puts a good deal of pressure on the Driver to be 'perfect' or else.

17. Liquid

Liquid

The officer's name doesn't start with Bur.....?

18. jaimeritchie

jaimeritchie

Driving:
    UberX
    all every city cates about is money. they are making more money for the city cuz of these tickets. they see it as a positive thing on their end. no gov official actually gives a damn about anything else.

UberIsNotGreat and UberLaLa like this.
  19. observer

observer Moderator

Yupp, it's one of the costs of working for Uber.

20. POST # 6/GeladaMateGeladaMate: Yes, indeedy-dee.
    It drew my Bisonic
    Attention Molecules towards Your Newest
    Signature Line! Chortle.

UberLaLa and powmoe like this.