1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Part timers... how much do you make per day?

Discussion in 'New York City' started by NYCOT, Sep 13, 2015.

1. NYCOT

NYCOT New Member

Those of you doing this part time in NYC, how much are you making per day?

I'm considering doing this 3-4 days a week, like 5-6 hours a day. I want to see if its worth it.

2. The_One

The_One Well-Known Member

There is no such thing as a part time Uber driver in NYC, and no one works 5-6 hours a day, you definitely are new.

3. Lenny_yellow_cab

Lenny_yellow_cab Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX

Are u planning in buying a car or renting?

4. NYCOT

NYCOT New Member

renting.. From hyrecar

5. Lenny_yellow_cab

Driving:
    UberX
    Its gonna be hard to make any money at all if u rent and u are only working 5 to 6 hrs.... After the rent, gas, uber commision... There is not gonna be mich left over.

6. Bully

Bully Active Member

I do.... lol

bezi_NY likes this.
  7. NYCOT

NYCOT New Member

I don't know if this makes any difference but... Hyre Car lets you rent/lease someone else's car (specifically for uber/lyft) for $40-$60 a day. Will it still not even out in the end?

8. Lenny_yellow_cab

Driving:
    UberX
    I think u shud try it out for a couple of days to see how much u end up making. U dont lose anything.

9. AdemHus

AdemHus Member

I worked about 27 hours last week with a rental. After rent, gas, etc...I made an amazing whole $20.

EAGLE1PAR3 and UberXTampa like this.
  10. Lenny_yellow_cab

Driving:
    UberX
    R u serious or jokin?

11. AdemHus

AdemHus Member

Super serious. Sorry, forgot that I had to pay a prorated rent of 9 days instead of 7. So if I paid a regular 7 day week, I would've made $150 total instead of the $20.

12. JDJ

JDJ Active Member

You will need to make 75-100 first in order to make anything after that.
    It's hard to part time UBER NYC unless you are working for another Car Service.

13. bezi_NY

bezi_NY Well-Known Member

Part time 5 hours a day? No way!
    Part time like seasonal? Is the way it is.. Summer Season dead! Barley survive!

I guess what I'm trying to say is(speaking for myself) it's like the Tv show "The deadliest catch".

ubernyc, The_One and Lenny_yellow_cab like this.
  14. Brandon26pdx

Brandon26pdx Active Member

Yeah, you worked 27 hours and barely broke even. That tells the whole story right there for anybody wondering about doing this part time in NY. In other cities with less oversight and regulations you can fly under the radar with a cheaper/older car with regular plates/registration/insurance and make some money working less than 30 hours a week. Here forget it...you're barely covering your overhead. It's a bare minimum 50 hour a week commitment to earn anything decent for the week and some of the real lunatics are out there putting in 60-70 hrs and sleeping in their car.

I keep telling people, if you want a part time hobby for extra cash just go get your hack license and sign up at a yellow garage. They're desperate for anybody who walks in the door these days.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
    The_One likes this.
  15. bezi_NY

The yellow is by far the way to go for the renters out there! Also forget the forums do some legwork and go to the Laguardia airport cellphone lot and talk to real drivers face to face.. I spoke to some Uber drivers over there that were former cab drivers and they all said that they made more with Yellow..

Black/ SUV is all but nonexistent with newbie Uber drivers like myself. Yea, go that route as a newbie and you will really be shooting yourself in the foot! I went to the uber office in Manhattan to raise the issue with them and they could care less! I even got a $65 parking ticket for my efforts! I asked if they could at the very least give me only black/SUV jobs when black and suv were surging? And they replied "nope, we can't revamp the whole system" I said so if I'm the only black vehicle in the area I still have to take an x job if it comes my way? He sai yes:confused:!!! How is that not a disservice to black/SUV customers? And a slap to the face to x drivers! Because the x drivers are competing with suv's and Cadillac sedans for ratings!! And if that yellow car app takes off.. It'll be that much worse for Uber driver!;)

ubernyc, Genogts and Engineer like this.
  16. antiuber$

antiuber$ Member

If you wanna be mellow, drive yellow.

17. JDJ

JDJ Active Member

I Know a few yellow that either went to uber or came back to yellow
    Some say they made more with yellow some say they made more with Uber.
    There is no right or wrong I met a few people that said they wont go back to yellow
    & I also know a few people that went back to yellow.
    The difference is in NYC with yellow you have to hustle and look for passenger's and in
    Uber you just get a ping to where the passenger is.
    Yellow you have a flow of cash daily, & Uber you dont.
    Some people don't like the stress that come with working yellow
    Some don't like the stress of working for Uber.

18. bezi_NY

All agree Uber pax treat drivers worse. No? lol

19. Engineer

Engineer Active Member

I tried the same thing through email and bluffing to convince them but here is what they said : we want our partners to be satisfied, even if it takes them to work for another ridesharing service. :D

Luckily I'm renting this vehicle so I can easily return it. I'm switching to an UberX car soon.

The most annoying part is customers asking if they're being charged extra for this big car and I have to convince them it's the same price as 2012 Altima ride. :mad:

ubernyc and bezi_NY like this.
  20. bezi_NY

An offensively nice car will get you negative reviews as well..lol:confused: they're like others request a car like this all the time? I say yup!! Not that I can afford an uber x on my income:rolleyes:!