Part time is a waste of time.

ZenUber

If you do Uber part time, you are just subsidizing Uber with your day job.
The startup time at the begging of the shift, getting to the good location, getting fueled up, checking the oil and tire pressure, and the long haul home with less or no pay, is bringing down your average hourly wage. You are counting that time right?
Those beginning and ending hours are not profitable enough alone to be worth your time. The more hours you work, the more you can offset those less profitable hours.
Uber works best as a full time gig.

Pax Collector

I only do it when I need beer money or to pay for a date. Works fine.

Fulltime? No thanks. I need my sanity.
Post automatically merged:

The startup time at the begging of the shift, getting to the good location, getting fueled up, checking the oil and tire pressure, and the long haul home with less or no pay, is bringing down your average hourly wage.
I live in a pretty vibrant rideshare market and I only drive a half a mile from my house to pick up my first rider.

As far as fueling and checking the oil, it takes less than two minutes and can be done simultaneously .And thank goodness for computerized tire pressure monitoring systems.

Bottomline is there is no "One size fits all" approach to ridesharing.

touberornottouber

Part time used to be the way to go but they have decreased the pay significantly to the point where I doubt it would be worth it for most people.

I mean let's say you turn the app on on your way home from work. Are you really going to be satisfied picking up strangers for 20 minutes of your time for $3 or $4? If you have a high paying job it quickly becomes a joke.

TomTheAnt

Works just fine for me part time. Some weeks I do work more than 40 hours on U/L, though, so am I then considered as full time? LOL!

My truck was paid with cash several years ago. It als was never meant to be as an investment so depreciation doesn’t really mean anything to me. I also do all my own maintenance.

My main operating cost is gas and that’s why long trips are usually my friend.

Startup time? Well... I start from home or if I’m in the office, I start from there. I don’t drive anywhere to start driving. I let my first ride take me there. Very market specific, of course.

mbd

So where did it come from?? Your part time and full time , time? Time just popped out of nowhere?

Ssgcraig

The startup time at the begging of the shift, getting to the good location, getting fueled up, checking the oil and tire pressure, and the long haul home with less or no pay, is bringing down your average hourly wage. You are counting that time right?
Those beginning and ending hours are not profitable enough alone to be worth your time. The more hours you work, the more you can offset those less profitable hours.
I make good money driving home from my day job, PT makes me 500 a week average. Not a bad PT wage.

Nats121

With our rotten pay rates, we subsidize uber and lyft with virtually every ride we give.

I usually average $300 a week in about 15-20 hrs. The part time gig is good for me.
I just checked your rates for Tucson, and no surprise they're terrible...

$2.25 minimum fare!!!

.75 per mile

.0975 per minute

.75 base fare

It must be great picking up pax and their groceries at the supermarket for $2.25

NoWhrMn

It must be great picking up pax and their groceries at the supermarket for $2.25
I am getting what I expected to get from it. Would it be nice to get more per trip/mile/minute? Sure...but in the end this is not my permanent job, its the job I choose to do because I can set my own hours and work when I want.

Nats121

This. My goal is $450 and usually achieve it in 15-16 hours.
I just check the rates for Buffalo...
$2.10 minimum fare!!!

.7125 per mile

.1650 per minute

.8250 base fare

With the shit base rates in Buffalo, there's virtually no way you can average $30 per hour without surge (old surge) and/or lots of long trips.

And most of the surges would have to be at least 3x or higher.

I am getting what I expected to get from it. Would it be nice to get more per trip/mile/minute? Sure...but in the end this is not my permanent job, its the job I choose to do because I can set my own hours and work when I want.
Bad pay is bad pay, whether the job is full or part time, permanent or not.

Matt Uterak

Prep time = walking upstairs, opening door, walking 20 feet to car, driving to pick up pax.

Checking oil, tires and fueling up consume 8 minutes a week. Once a week vacuuming takes about 5 minutes

ANT 7

I do it full time. But, I guess it depends when you'd want to do it part time.

For example, in my market, no one makes any money from 5-8 PM on a weekday because every guy who wants to make $50 after their day job is out anting. That's why I go home between 4-6 PM. But from 6 AM until then, it's worth it.

Benjamin M

I live in a pretty vibrant rideshare market and I only drive a half a mile from my house to pick up my first rider.
I'm spoiled. Almost always get a ping before I even leave my parking garage.

I do it full time. But, I guess it depends when you'd want to do it part time.

For example, in my market, no one makes any money from 5-8 PM on a weekday because every guy who wants to make $50 after their day job is out anting. That's why I go home between 4-6 PM. But from 6 AM until then, it's worth it.
Here, strangely, seems to be the opposite. Mainly seems like there's just no demand before around 3 pm.