Parking Fines

Azzure

Wondering if anyone has been fined in their time as an UBER driver? I just got a fine notice in the mail today from 3 weeks ago. Picked up a rider who was standing in a no stopping zone but the whole corner/section is no stopping. If I had told the rider through the window I can't stop here and walk around the next block and I'll pick you up there he'd probably give me a 1 star.

Does UBER email riders about correct places to wait for pick ups and correct etiquette the way they email us drivers?

$253 fine...guess i'm working the weekend lol

Avenig

Wondering if anyone has been fined in their time as an UBER driver? I just got a fine notice in the mail today from 3 weeks ago. Picked up a rider who was standing in a no stopping zone but the whole corner/section is no stopping. If I had told the rider through the window I can't stop here and walk around the next block and I'll pick you up there he'd probably give me a 1 star.

Does UBER email riders about correct places to wait for pick ups and correct etiquette the way they email us drivers?

$253 fine...guess i'm working the weekend lol
Just wondering how you got done? Was it a camera or something?

fields

It is impossible to be an Uber driver in Sydney and obey all the parking rules. If you are quick to pick up or set down you are generally fine. Once you start waiting for pax in a no stopping zone, you are bound to get caught sooner or later.

There is no solution. I do think though passengers who make us wait at no stopping zones should be rated accordingly.

SSuber

I just got a fine for 5kms in a school zone via camera. It is my first fine ever.
Any suggestions on a good wording that I can send to plead first time offence in hope to get off - PLEASE?:smiles:
Best suggestion is to use the time likely spent for writing a letter to hit the road to pay your fine - they don't give leniency unless you can document an emergency. As much as the govt wants your repeat business, they're not like Uber, offering free credit on your first use :wink:

SSuber

Best suggestion is to use the time likely spent for writing a letter to hit the road to pay your fine - they don't give leniency unless you can document an emergency. As much as the govt wants your repeat business, they're not like Uber, offering free credit on your first use :wink:
And to make matters worse, it's not a tax deduction!

ubersleek

Best suggestion is to use the time likely spent for writing a letter to hit the road to pay your fine - they don't give leniency unless you can document an emergency.
That's not correct. The State Debt Recovery Office will review a penalty notice, over the phone no less, and routinely issue a caution if it's your first minor driving offence in ten years. However, our mate Grand is sadly outta luck 'cause his first occurred in a school zone which they consider a 'serious' offence. :frown:

SSuber

That's not correct. The State Debt Recovery Office will review a penalty notice, over the phone no less, and routinely issue a caution if it's your first minor driving offence in ten years. However, our mate Grand is sadly outta luck 'cause his first occurred in a school zone which they consider a 'serious' offence. :frown:
Well as half an hour to write an email or call will only keep one from earning $8.72* in pre-tax income, maybe s/he can try anyway and report back to us.

*A made-up number, but not too far from the truth

Aquarius

I've just been fined $114.00 and 1 demerit point for doing 50km down Elizabeth St, via camera at Park St intersection. Turns out they made the city a 40km/hr zone in April - I missed that memo!

I've also been fined and lost 3 demerit points for dropping two kids in a bus zone at Marsden High School. I didn't notice the signs and thought I was dropping them in a kiss-and-ride area out of the heavy traffic because there was a parking bay with another car in it. Tried to appeal it on the grounds that it was first time in the area, wasn't familiar with it etc, but to no avail. Moral of the story: read the signs.

whyza

...if we all stopped accepting riders in CBD,it might make uber to use technology to make riders aware that we are as the drivers at big risk because of their irresponsibilities ...
Personally,I would not care to accept jobs on any major roads,not worth $6.40 and 1 star rating for the effort....

SSuber

I've just been fined $114.00 and 1 demerit point for doing 50km down Elizabeth St, via camera at Park St intersection. Turns out they made the city a 40km/hr zone in April - I missed that memo!

I've also been fined and lost 3 demerit points for dropping two kids in a bus zone at Marsden High School. I didn't notice the signs and thought I was dropping them in a kiss-and-ride area out of the heavy traffic because there was a parking bay with another car in it. Tried to appeal it on the grounds that it was first time in the area, wasn't familiar with it etc, but to no avail. Moral of the story: read the signs.
They painted "40" signs on the roads when the change came in. The Elizabeth/Park camera was added about the same time I seem to recall. I think they are also adding one on the cnr of Goulburn and Wentworth near Central.

How did you get busted in a Bus Zone? Camera or police?

This will obviously be an issue of increasing concern in the future and may impact upon drivers' decision to continue with it. Needs to be addressed by the govt so we can at least start using bus lanes - sure the cameras might ping us, but they should be able to match it against a list of rideshare vehicles. Likewise with police pullover.

Personally, I'm looking forward to Uber Eats - none of these issues and no ratings dramas. Greasy smells can be dealt with by air freshener.

Aquarius

Re bus zone, there was a ranger of some sort there - it was very busy, people and cars everywhere. I wasn't looking out cos I didn't realise was a bus zone, thought I was dropping the riders off somewhere safe.

Aquarius

In Elizabeth St there is a 40km sign (I've now checked) but being stuck in the outside lane cos of the bus lane, and dodging taxis etc there's not a lot of time to be scanning the footpath. Sooner we can go in bus lanes the better.

NickyBoy

The choice is yours ... you can either...

1. stop / park illegally & risk a fine of which pax don't care & uber won't pay & also don't care..
2. keep driving around until you find a legal zone to stop / park with a passenger yelling at you to pull over & let them out
3. get rated under a 5 (everything under 5 is a fail) & eventually get deactivated for not breaking the law
4. if pax want to go to the city, kick them out & then make them cancel :cool:

whyza

...a few times asked riders to let me photograph their driving license so they would pay fine for breaking the law,
look on their faces - priceless....;-)
Just remember,no one cares about you....

ricdam

I've just been fined $114.00 and 1 demerit point for doing 50km down Elizabeth St
I see that camera flashing all the time, big amount of people are not aware of the 40km/h limit

And also 40mk/h in Elizabeth st feels like only 5km/h

whyza

texting is illigal also unless you park somewhere ,uber could do it while sending driver details to the rider's app...