1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Parked online, will you receive ride requests

Discussion in 'Surge' started by Newbie tacoma, Mar 6, 2017.

1. Newbie tacoma

Newbie tacoma New Member

There is a area near Tacoma Narrows bridge that frequently goes surge pricing. To conserve miles and fuel expenses, is it possible to sit parked and receive ride offers?

2. DocT

DocT Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Yes, you can sit in a parking lot while ONLINE. Many drivers do that to conserve on fuel. You will still be available to receive ride requests.

3. LAuberX

LAuberX Moderator Moderator

Driving:
    UberX
    YES.

Never drive around, park and wait for a ping.

4. dimwit_driver

dimwit_driver Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Of course!!!! You should always be parked between rides, never driving around aimlessly waiting for a ping. As soon as you drop a pax you should park yourself at the first opportunity. Obviously, sometimes there's no parking on a block so you have to get yourself to a spot. Also, if you get a ride to BFE or a neighborhood with sparse pickings you might need to drive to someplace where you're more likely to get a fare. I have spots all over Seattle and the Eastside where I know I'll get a ping (not sharing). I'll also park in load zones, by fire hydrants, in commercial lots (without paying) if I'm confident of getting a ping shortly.

MadTownUberD and Shangsta like this.
  5. Shangsta

Shangsta Well-Known Member

When you park, turn on your Pax app to see where other drivers are. Great advice above. When you think like someone who needs an uber you can find some really amazing spots.

disneyRN, DJ_MJ and DocT like this.

6. mikejm

mikejm Well-Known Member

No, Uber will see that you are not hustling and quit sending you rides. You are on break.

7. Kater Gator

Kater Gator Active Member

I have several parking lots I frequent; I never drive around wasting gas. The only time I move is if I've been 30 minutes without a ping I'll go to another parking lot.

8. Iceagetlc

Iceagetlc Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    I get pings in the shower.

ant observer, xlr8ed and HeavyFlow like this.
  9. Bpr2

Bpr2 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    No wonder your showers are so short.

10. NapsterSA

NapsterSA Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    My rule is park asap after dropping off a pax. If I absolutely need to move closer to the action (rare), my limit is no more that a mile, two max.

I carry an iPad and use my iPhone as a hotspot to read, email, FB, etc while parked. New pings typically < 5 minutes while parked.

BigMonkey, Bevital and Shangsta like this.
  11. Acuben

Acuben New Member

Yes park . I even turn off engine if i think ill wait a bit.
    I even just leave app on at home for primetime while doing other stuff o_O then go to my car when i get a ride request

ant observer and NapsterSA like this.
  12. Trafficat

Trafficat Well-Known Member

I also park most of the time. Unfortunately it seems that the local sheriff's office does not take too kindly to people sitting or laying in a parked car.

13. Kodyhead

Kodyhead Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberLUX
    I work mainly out of my house full time and make a comfortable living.

Ressy likes this.
  14. Safe_Driver_4_U

Safe_Driver_4_U Well-Known Member

geez tell them you are an Uber driver waiting for a rider remind the police how many drunks you are keeping from driving. The police where I am at look the other way for minor infractions, like parking more than a few minutes in a loading zone or stopping at red curb to pick up a drunk pax.

uber_driver_in_la likes this.
  15. DocT

DocT Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Try that at Manhattan Beach (Manhattan Beach Blvd and Manhattan Ave intersection) or Hermosa Beach (Pier Ave and Hermosa Ave intersection, and 11th St Parking Lot A). I hate those 2 cities.

16. JBuzz826

JBuzz826 Member

Yes!!! Definitely sir and park. I have about 5-12 different parking spots I sit at and wait for that ping. 3 primary parking spots I sit at and always guaranteed a ping. I will admit sometimes when I get to town (I'm 20 mins away from the area) I drove around to see how things are in town. I then will go to a parking lot and sit and wait for the ping to come through.

Save your fuel, and park and wait. ;)

17. driverx.nj

driverx.nj Well-Known Member

One of the BEST pieces of advice ever given.

:)

uber_driver_in_la and Bevital like this.
  18. ganerbangla

ganerbangla Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    If you stay home apps online you can get ping too

19. Ribak

Ribak Well-Known Member

Yes it is. It is a great way to conserve fuel, your energy and decrease the wear and tear on the vehicle. Just be mindful of where you are waiting as well as other obvious factors (time of day & special events)

20. OGT

OGT Well-Known Member

Park? Not me, I love dead miles lol. I only take surge or primetime fares. I never work during slow hours. I always try to anticipate surge and primetime. I would rather have dead miles the a cheap pax in my car at reg fare lol. I'm always driving. Besides, I need the extra miles to write off at the end of the year. If you park in a slow part of town, you're waiting for a pool fare lol.