Uber Drivers Forum banner
  • If you have joined UberPeople.net because your Uber account was hacked, you've likely been taken in by a scam. Please read this before starting a thread on this subject.

Paranoid vs Stupid

1K views 29 replies 12 participants last post by  Benjamin M 
#1 ·
I've had a string of people randomly jumping into my car lately. I asked one pax today if she was "Jane" and she said yes. She was getting her seat belt on and said "the app said it was a gold Lexus but oh well". Repeated her name, "nope! Sorry!"

OMFG, CHECK THE TAGS, PHOTO, AND VEHICLE DESCRIPTION!! How hard is it?!

Then you have the over paranoid type, check everything and then act like you are a serial killer until you say their name.

That SC case has been cited by a lot of pax, yet the past two weeks I've probably had six pax that either jumped into my car or someone else's. Just wow. ?

#3 ·
Seriously, dude! And these people haven't even been drunk! Holy crap..

#4 ·
I've had a string of people randomly jumping into my car lately. I asked one pax today if she was "Jane" and she said yes. She was getting her seat belt on and said "the app said it was a gold Lexus but oh well". Repeated her name, "nope! Sorry!"

Then you have the over paranoid type, check everything and then act like you are a serial killer until you say their name.

That SC case has been cited by a lot of pax, yet the past two weeks I've probably had six pax that either jumped into my car or someone else's. Just wow. ?
Last week a guy jumps in front of my pax, hops in & shut the door right?
Me: your name please sir.
Him: Dude I didn't order an Uber, I just wanted to know if you had an extra 10.00 I can "borrow."
Me: GTFOMMFC.

#5 ·
And that's why I have OC on my belt. Just wow.

Did he give you a hard time?

Reactions: jgiun1
#7 ·
I've also noticed that the Lyft Amp seems to show a color unique to the pax, that also doesn't seem to help.

#9 ·
Oh, and something random from the evening. Guy in heels ? and a dress ? with a full beard.

Look, I'm a progressive guy. Whatever makes you happy in life, awesome. But I almost rear ended someone. ?

Yeah, this country boy is out of place in the big city..

#11 · (Edited)
Great tip! I'll start doing that.

However, that doesn't help the paranoid pax situation. But at least they seem to listen carefully.

Or the frequent third party trip. Really, they need something better than a name. Lyft is on the right track with color coding but it's still up to the pax to follow it.

#16 ·
C'mon dude, you're not a rookie but you're making rookie mistakes.

First of all, your doors should always be locked when approaching a pickup.

Your window should be open just enough for the pax to confirm their name to you, NOT the other way around.

Only AFTER you know you have the correct pax should you unlock the doors.

This is especially important if you're doing pickups at bars or other crowded areas.

#23 · (Edited)
Doors ARE locked, asked if she was "Jane" through the window, she said "yes". Hotel without any other cars.

Totally on her, she even knew that she was waiting on a different make and color car.

Have you been picking up in crowded places? Say, after a sports event? That's when I've seen that kind of behaviour.

There isn't anything you can do to calm the paranoid ones. Nothing. The insecurity lives within them. Every item of identification, everything that confirms your identity, is useless in that regard.
Eh not particularly crowded, although the pax of mine that jumped into the wrong car was in a madhouse of a parking lot after a concert. Had them repeat to me my tags, model and color of my car, and where I would meet them.

Yet they entered some random car that didn't match any of that thinking it was me (I called them when they weren't at the spot, they got out).

The one yesterday was at the front of a hotel, no other cars around. And I had been sitting there for a while, the woman was reading a book next to me and eventually saw the Uber decal. Totally oblivious to the location of her assigned car and brushed off the fact my car didn't match any of the descriptors.

It's been happening in a variety of places and during all hours lately.

I was sitting in a parking lot waiting for a ping. Suddenly the back door opens and a girl starts getting in. I said whoa, whoa, what are you doing? Who are you? She says, you're my Uber. I said no, I don't have any rides right now. She says sorry, and got back out. Pretty much the same scenario as the girl from USC. Except I didn't murder her.

Or did I?
Exactly. Yet everyone is on edge about drivers, when the whole thing happened because of her stupidity. Aye.. ?

Exact year, make, and model... Okay, here's a quiz for you. How many women do you think could tell a Chevrolet from a Buick, just by looking at it from the side
Hmmm, a gold Lexus vs a black Honda Civic. I'm pretty sure that you don't have to be a car guru to identify the difference. She even acknowledged it did not match after saying "yes" when I asked her name. She was totally ready to drive off in the wrong car.

Reactions: ZenUber
#17 ·
I've had a string of people randomly jumping into my car lately.
Have you been picking up in crowded places? Say, after a sports event? That's when I've seen that kind of behaviour.

There isn't anything you can do to calm the paranoid ones. Nothing. The insecurity lives within them. Every item of identification, everything that confirms your identity, is useless in that regard.

#18 ·
I was sitting in a parking lot waiting for a ping. Suddenly the back door opens and a girl starts getting in. I said whoa, whoa, what are you doing? Who are you? She says, you're my Uber. I said no, I don't have any rides right now. She says sorry, and got back out. Pretty much the same scenario as the girl from USC. Except I didn't murder her.

Or did I?

#20 ·
What I've loved are the ones actually walking around to the back of the car, like they need to put something in the trunk, but they only check the tag. Yes, I spent $2k with the Hollywood movie makeup artist to look JUST LIKE the guy in your app photo and $5k on the exact year, make and model car that's just like the real drivers', but DAMMITJIM, I forgot the hat trick with the $200 fake license tag -- no violent murder for me today!

#22 ·
Yes, I spent $2k with the Hollywood movie makeup artist to look JUST LIKE the guy in your app photo and $5k on the exact year, make and model car that's just like the real drivers'
The license plate is a lot more reliable of an identifier. I'm not likely to mistake one license plate number for another.

Exact year, make, and model... Okay, here's a quiz for you. How many women do you think could tell a Chevrolet from a Buick, just by looking at it from the side?

Or perhaps, do you know how to distinguish a 2011 Toyota Corolla from a 2014? I sure couldn't.

Do you know which model year it was when the Acura RDX model changed? (It was 2013, just FYI.)

Could you tell the difference between a gray car and a black one that had been through some mud puddles in the last, say, 6 or 8 hours? On a dark street? By a visually impaired person?

#21 ·
.....And because this recent caution is only the Flavor of the Month, by mid summer the public's fickle minds will have forgotten about this and they will be onto the next SJW project.

Once again pax from all walks of life will be jumping into your cars regardless of the fact that your car and you do not resemble their actual ride in any way, shape or fashion.

Drunk female MallRat: "Like ...OhMahGwaaad you look safe. Are you my Uberrrrrrr?"

2019-04-05-17-56-20.jpg

"I am tonight." :wink:

#26 ·

The stupid is particularly strong with the news media telling them to ask us for Their name.

Um, idiots, they have Our name. We give our name to verify WE are the driver THEY are looking for.
And, since literally the only information we have prior to the ride starting Is their name I am NOT providing that, they have to tell me Their name to verify I am letting the right person in my car.

#27 ·
Oh, and confirming the destination? Had a pax last night enter both the wrong pick up and drop off address. She confirmed my name, she was the correct pax.

Got to the address she entered and it was a closed street. Numerics were 300 ft away, asked if she could walk and she said, with a major attitude, "no, I can't. It's too far." Pointed out it was right there, "no, sorry!"

Drove down the street trying to figure out how to get closer, about half a mile away she said "this is fine I can walk from here." What?! 300 ft was too far but half a mile is fine?!

Nope, turned out she basically put in a random address without checking it and I just happened to arrive at her intended destination.

"Sorry, I'll give you a big tip in the app". ?

#29 ·
Once I was waiting on my pax at the airport - since I'd made phone contact, I knew what they were wearing & I'd spotted them walking towards me so I was outside my car & standing by the open trunk.

A guy walks up to me, looks at my BLACK car & says to me, 'are you Mohammed?' (ftr, I'm a white chick), I said 'do I LOOK like a Mohammed?' he said, 'but I'm waiting for this car' and he holds up his app. I look at it & point to the WHITE car next to mine driven by a man who is not Casper pale like me and say, 'I believe that's your uber - but check the license plate' - he's opening that guy's car for before I can finish my sentence. Of course he's not checking the plate.

Really, who can blame him? After all, when you are looking for a brown man driving a white car, it's completely understandable that you would accidentally try to get in the black car with the ghostly pale white chick. Hey, our names both started with M - very easy mistake to make!

Uber really needs some system in place so the rider can identify their ride, all these cars & drivers all look alike. /sarcasm

#30 ·
That's taking stupid to a whole new level ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.