Panther Island mayhem

financeguy13

So I felt adventurous and decided to go to the Panther Island pickup spot by the brewery. Only saw about 6 drivers there total. Couldn't get a ping for the Uber drop off zone. Everywhere else though. Finally settled for an X instead of XL at 3.2x and waited my turn out of Main St. Pax said hardest part was finding the pickup zone. He only had to request one driver.

So I know about the mess with events and not to go with the Uber directions. Just thought I'd try it out since I figured the night was a mess anyways.

Drivers get pings outside of the road closures so can't accept. Then drivers get put in timeout for a couple minutes. So the problem spirals out of control. Panther Island traffic can only head North and only one way out. Downtown traffic had roads closed so traffic on Belknap and Weatherford are straight only.
Basically pax have to be within walking distance of the driver to have any chance of a successful pickup.

Needed to go to the Uber office this week so will offer my feedback and suggestions. I believe having a FIFO zone like the Rangers that can be turned on for special events like tonight would have drivers and pax be registered in the same place. Surge still happens due to overall demand, but drivers would get the requests in their zone. That's been my experience at the ballpark since the their FIFO zone started.

Goom

It was a cluster. I parked across the bridge on 7th at Harrods to watch the fireworks. Afterwards, I got requests To 2.9x and higher but they kept cancelling. I also expired request from Uber lot as there is no way I could trek over. Finally took a chance on Lyft and got a request at 200% prime. Kept Uber online and also got a request and accepted at 3.1x. Both Lyft and Uber rider are at 7-Eleven on 7th/Summit. Dilemma! Lyft rider finally called to tell me where she was...ask her where she's going and said Uptown Dallas. Cancelled Uber... which she's prolly ok with since surge at that time dropped to 2.0x.

Got a $121 fare on Lyft... about $90 net.
After drop off, got a 1.3x, Select, 1.6, and 1.5 in uptown. So all in all, wasn't not a bad night for 3hrs worth of driving. :smiles:

Don't bring up FIFO. It will kill the surge... just like at the ballpark.

Any tips for this 4th? I missed last year by 3 days of getting approved by Uber, want to make all I can on my one year anniversary of driving haha I know, quit now is probably the advice I'll get lol

financeguy13

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Any tips for this 4th? I missed last year by 3 days of getting approved by Uber, want to make all I can on my one year anniversary of driving haha I know, quit now is probably the advice I'll get lol
Expect more traffic nightmares than money to be made on the 4th. For FT Worth, and applies to other cities as well, I would watch the show and be parked in a lot that's easier to get out of. Many roads are closed off. Don't try Panther Island as it's one way on one road going north. Try farther away from traffic in the edge of downtown.

Your other problem is going to be trying to get a request that's close to you. You won't be able to move, so will have to ignore a ton of pings that are all over the place. Then have to have them be willing to walk to you. Then unless you screen the destination well, you could end up with a short ride.

For all the reasons listed above, I'm not working any fireworks shows. Family time is much more enjoyable.