Panhandling at gas stations

kdyrpr

How many of you have been approached by someone (maybe holding a plastic gas can) asking for money? It is accompanied by some sob story. They always act sad and desperate. Almost believable. Secondly has anyone ever given money to the jerks standing at intersections with the cardboard signs?

MadTownUberD

The Trendy Transporter
In general I try to stand firm but every once in a while it's hard to say no. Like about a week ago a black guy with no teeth approached me with a very friendly tone and I had gotten cash tips that night, so I gave him $2.

Last edited:

mrpjfresh

It has been said before many a time: " I'm sorry. I can't help. I'm just an Uber driver and you make more money than I do. Best of luck". And you won't be lying.

It took me a little longer before these lot hardened my heart somewhat. You have to understand though, my town is a tourist destination and has "professional" bums that share signs, stake out corners, gas stations, freeway exits, etc. I've even come across the guy in a sports car who asked me for cash for gas while driving in his car and all the attendants where gone at 3am. The balls on some of these bastards!

The last time I have someone money anytime recently was a girl (single mom apparently) who got off her job at Subway (still in uniform) and asked for a gallon of gas. I could tell she still had some shame about it. I walked over, used my card and gave her $10 worth. She was very appreciative and I got the points on my Discover card at least. Very out of the ordinary though.

ShinyAndChrome

How many of you have been approached by someone (maybe holding a plastic gas can) asking for money? It is accompanied by some sob story. They always act sad and desperate. Almost believable. Secondly has anyone ever given money to the jerks standing at intersections with the cardboard signs?
has happened to me years ago. It is a common line of BS. These people should get no money. They are liars.

It has been said before many a time: " I'm sorry. I can't help. I'm just an Uber driver and you make more money than I do. Best of luck". And you won't be lying.

It took me a little longer before these lot hardened my heart somewhat. You have to understand though, my town is a tourist destination and has "professional" bums that share signs, stake out corners, gas stations, freeway exits, etc. I've even come across the guy in a sports car who asked me for cash for gas while driving in his car and all the attendants where gone at 3am. The balls on some of these bastards!

The last time I have someone money anytime recently was a girl (single mom apparently) who got off her job at Subway (still in uniform) and asked for a gallon of gas. I could tell she still had some shame about it. I walked over, used my card and gave her $10 worth. She was very appreciative and I got the points on my Discover card at least. Very out of the ordinary though.
It took two weeks for my heart to harden. Reason being two weeks is about the time it took for somebody with the "out of gas" story to ask me for gas in a parking lot for the second time.

Spotscat

It took two weeks for my heart to harden. Reason being two weeks is about the time it took for somebody with the "out of gas" story to ask me for gas in a parking lot for the second time.

"Your car ran out of fuel in the same location as it did a week ago? It seems to me that the good Lord is trying to send you a message, a sort of divine intervention! I'd like to help you, but I'm not going to risk eternal damnation by interfering with the master plan! Sorry, but you know how it is..."

:biggrin:

mattadams

YEars ago I always took the same route home from work, always past this one intersection with the same guy, day in day out... "Will work for food". So one day, I decide to grab McDonalds on the way home and they were doing two big macs for $2 or something like that. Figured I only wanted one. I'd help the guy out. Pulled up, offered him big mac, explained it wasn't open, just ordered like a minute earlier. He said "I don't want your f*%King Big Mac!" to which point I rolled up the window and silently cursed him everytime I drove past him again.
I don't help out panhandlers. I feel bad that some are truly in bad circumstances. Unfortunately there are plenty who are in good enough circumstances, but still do it because hte money is better than what they might be doing elsewhere. And that pisses me off. I hate being lied to.
I've volunteered for a number of groups, but I always seem to come back to animals and cancer causes. If an animal is starving and you give it food, and shelter, they will be your best friend, they won't spit in your face (well, generally speaking anyway). And people with cancer, well none of them ever yelled at me for trying to raise funds to develop a cure for them.

Karen Stein

Such powers are often petty crooks looking for victims -- the begging is only camouflage.

My first response is a polite " no." Further requests are regarded as a threat to me. If the perp approaches from a blind angle the encounter is greeted wit hostility from the start.

( Just a week ago I was already in mid-swing as I turned, so quickly did he pop up out of nowhere. I checked myself, and a firm " no " was enough.)

RynoHawk

Yeah. A while back in a similar thread, I posted that as I stopped at the bottom of an off ramp from a highway, a guy with a cardboard sign saw my Uber placard, said "God bless you, fella," and gave me $5. :p

Cableguynoe

Yeah. A while back in a similar thread, I posted that as I stopped at the bottom of an off ramp from a highway, a guy with a cardboard sign saw my Uber placard, said "God bless you, fella," and gave me $5. :p
Hmmmmm think you stole my line :rolleyes:

Imma be watching you hawk!:cool:

RynoHawk

Hmmmmm think you stole my line :rolleyes:

Imma be watching you hawk!:cool:
If you spoke the line before August 1st, then I stole it twice! :p
I was pulling off of an Interstate and stopped at the light at the bottom of the off ramp. Panhandler with a cardboard sign looks at my Uber logo and taps on my window. I roll it down and he says "Here you go fella, buy yourself some lunch" and hands me a fiver. :p
Granted I paraphrased myself a little bit. :wink:

Fargle

A couple months ago, I went into a convenience store to get drinks and snacks. On the way in, junkies asked me for money. As usual, I told the clerk about this. Instead of telling the junkies to go away, he went full-psycho. He started off asking me what I had against homeless people. Then he went into incoherent screams and gesticulation. Then came something like a request that I leave the store. I called the police to report his psychotic tantrum and haven't been there since.

Last edited:

Mikedamirault

Happens quite a bit here, I just give my standard line “sorry, I don’t have any cash”

Had one (offline w/ a friend), where I saw a very sketchy looking guy standing in the corner of the lot at a Speedway away from the pumps (closer to the building)

I told my friend to keep all her valuables w/ her as we went in (I suggested we took turns, she refused), I pointed out the guy and told her I didn’t trust him one bit, she said “Oh, he won’t do anything”

Sure enough, we secure our valuables, get out and I lock the car, we walk up to the mini mart and the guy makes a b-line straight to me (knew it)

The guy gives me some sob story about his friend taking his car, leaving him stranded at the gas station and he just needed a ride up the street, I made up some lie saying we were just making a quick stop and that we were in a hurry and couldn’t take him

Seriously, if this guy really owned a car, it doesn’t make sense he would let a friend just take it, and if he had the money to be willing to entrust one of his friends to just hop in his car and go (and he looked like he couldn’t even drive let alone own a car), I think he has the money to have a smartphone and service, the $3 for the min fare to go around the corner (okay, none of us would ever pick up a pax like him, but his story was just not adding up) and if it was really around the corner like he said... he’s got two feet

I honestly think he was looking to rob us, or worse kill us

uberRog

I swear I have had more than one "exit ramp beggar" notice my Uber decal and sort of turn their attention to the next car. They know we are one step up from being in their shoes! :smiles: