Pandemic Unemployment Assistance coming for self-employed & contract workers

scamp

There's been a lot of debate about the differences between what the Senate and House of Representatives proposed stimulus bills cover. There's one bit of good news for us in that both bills include expanding unemployment for self-employed and contract workes.

For those here laid off from their full-time employer, both bills would include $600 per week increase in unemployment benefits for up to 4 months. The states will be pushed to expand coverage for 26 weeks.

For those of us here who are self-employed and ineligible for unemployment, both bills now include a new government program called Pandemic Unemployment Assistance. This new program will cover self-employed and contract workers who most states consider ineligible for unemployment benefits.

The new PEA program will provide some incentives for work-sharing. You can find some details here.

Last edited:

MajorBummer

So essentially,a married couple,both unemployed, would get their unemployment benefits plus $600 each per week totalling $1200 +
per week ,plus the 1 time stimulus check of $ 2400 for a total of $7200 in the first month?
Sounds like one of those to good to be true scams. But heck if they give it i will take it. The Top 1% got their 2 trillion last year and now its our turn, i guess.

MajorBummer

actually says 2400 per couple plus 500 per kid.
Another thought,if you can afford to save some of that money for later you better do it,because a lot of people will find themselves out of a job after this virus shitshow is over.a lot of small business will shut down due to lack of funds.its gonna be 1930 all over again.

asian_storm

actually says 2400 per couple plus 500 per kid.
Another thought,if you can afford to save some of that money for later you better do it,because a lot of people will find themselves out of a job after this virus shitshow is over.a lot of small business will shut down due to lack of funds.its gonna be 1930 all over again.
They were talking about a second check for the same amount. I guess it will be a one time thing tho

Cgp00000

Remember - this check is a refundable credit.

Okay, I don’t understand. What is a refundable tax credit? The check acts like a refund you get in advance. When you file your 2020 tax return, the IRS will compare your income numbers. If you should have gotten more than you did, you’ll get a refund. Most taxpayers should get just the right amount.

MajorBummer

Mass unemployment website is still not updated.
It still says self employed workers cannot collect unemployment .

bog_e_bylgarin

Remember - this check is a refundable credit.

Okay, I don’t understand. What is a refundable tax credit? The check acts like a refund you get in advance. When you file your 2020 tax return, the IRS will compare your income numbers. If you should have gotten more than you did, you’ll get a refund. Most taxpayers should get just the right amount.
This is not true

IMMA DRIVER

It's important to note that it's based on your 2018 Tax returns. (AGI). Not sure if you get a check if you didn't file last year.

RhodyBob

I heard this morning that it's based on your most recent filing. Not filed for 2019? Based on 2018 return. Filed for 2019? Based on that.

I think it matters for the "bonus" - high income folks get less. So if you made more in 2019, don't file if your 2019 income puts you into a higher bracket.

Shmo313

Aren't Uber drivers considered essential workers? How can drivers collect unemployment when we can still go online and work?
Because you aren't an employee. As your own boss you can decide whether or not you "lay yourself off" so to speak because of risk of infection. Another reason would be If you have a kid and they are home from school and you can't work because of that. Also, ridership is drastically down, the work just isnt there compared to what it was before. I personally don't see anyone having a problem collecting once its officially voted on and signed by the president. So many people are going to be applying, and it's only for a few months so I hardly doubt with everything going on, the government is going to look into each and every claim with a fine tooth comb. Maybe I'll be wrong, but from everything I've read I dont think it will be a problem.
Post automatically merged:

They wouldn't have included gig economy workers in the bill if we couldn't use it. The government knows we can still access the app and they still put it in the bill.

Veal66

Q: For those of us that have full-time jobs and get W2's, and have been doing Uber on the side for part-time income, can we still file for unemployment payouts in lieu of lost Uber income? Or would that be denied outright, as I already work full time with a W2? I think the answer is my claim would be denied, but if someone has solid information on this scenario please share. Thanks.

B - uberlyftdriver

your full time earnings will cancel out any possible benefits. it may be different for this event though

years ago when i got the maximum mass unemployment, it was around $500 minus any earnings i had that week.

my scenario was swapped, i had a full time job and a business
my biz made money when my job was dead

Golfermack

Aren't Uber drivers considered essential workers? How can drivers collect unemployment when we can still go online and work?
Might be time to get yourself deactivated.

On the other hand, anyone out of work can sign up to drive for Uber/Lyft. Would they then not qualify for unemployment? I doubt it

scamp

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Unfortunately, UI gets processed by state so expect uneven application.

Mass is formally shut down so I hope Uber drivers claims get easily accepted. NH is not shut so could be tougher to claim.

Also some states think the $$$ feds doling out won't be enough to handle their increased work load so we may see long delays processing UI.