• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Palm Beach County "In Season"

rhoadspbc

Greetings,

New Lux driver here. I'm curious to know whether we are now considered to be "in season" in Palm Beach County and whether we can expect to earn any money.

Thanks in advance,

--- Stephen

Kaptain

Should pick up, but most are now taking uberX, or pool. I quit going out to try and get a ride as many hours with nothing is not worth it. So many drivers it is a crapshoot.

wk1102

Greetings,

New Lux driver here. I'm curious to know whether we are now considered to be "in season" in Palm Beach County and whether we can expect to earn any money.

Thanks in advance,

--- Stephen
No not "in season' yet. A lot of people are here already but in the next few weeks there should really be a noticeable difference.

ZZY

Work out of your home and don't quit your day job. There are now mostly full time Lux drivers with SUV's so they can get an occasional LuxSuv gig. Use your Rider App to see where they hang out. Last Saturday night I got a trip to Palm Beach at 10 PM. This should be the tail end of weekend dinner time with lots of business at the Breakers, Palm Beach Grill, Meat Market, Echo, PB Catch, Cachina's, Flagler Steak House, etc. I parked in the area and monitered the other Lux cars: There were 6 of them within a few blocks. I watched for 1 hour and nobody's icon disappeared from the screen, meaning there were no jobs.
Yes, the restaurants looked pretty dead, but this was Saturday night.

Looking back a year when Lux was called SELECT, I know from asking the Pax that many didn't know the difference between Uber X and Select. They thought they were 'selecting' an Uber car and their phone had defaulted to SELECT.
After the name change to LUX, there was still some of that and still is. However people learn by doing, so many pax have wised up. With most people trying to strech their dollar, Lux is for a smaller segment of the population than it was.

There are about 4 times as many Lux cars in PBC as there were a year ago. I'm guessing, but I'd say the increases in requests for Lux are up a few % at most. On the bright side, wealthy North East snowbirds who live on the island in the winter, are well acquainted with Uber and Lux is their choice. If you drove Lux last winter, look forward to 25% as much business, because those new LuxSuv drivers will sit in their cars at the best spots for hours and hours until they get a rider or get low on gas.

ZZY

What a difference a year makes. Tonight I got my first Lux rider of the week, from home. It's not like I didn't go anywhere this week: Many hours I had the app on while shopping, etc. So it's Friday night and I'm close to downtown so I headed over the bridge and looked at the rider app. It was after 10pm. There were lots of Lux on Royal Ponchiana but none by Cachina's which was busy for a change. But I was curious why 2 drivers were only doing LuxSuv at the Meat market, so I went there.

There was one Lux/LuxSuv car parked right across from the front door on the other side of the street in a no parking zone with lights off, a Chevy Suburban; one of many you'll see this year. There was a legal spot on the restaurant side of the street so I took it and I was actually closer than the Suburban. I waited for awhile. Lots of people left in their own cars and then there was a couple with phone in hand by the curb. I turned on my Uber lighted sign (hint, hint) and watched them as they looked up and down the street, called, looked at street signs, said "Meat Marker, Bradley St." into their phone. They saw me but ignored me. Finally, an UberX car pulled up on the wrong side of the street and they dodged traffic to get in.

The Suburban drove off and so did I. Now there were 6 Lux near Cachina's, so I headed to Buccan where there were zero. I found a legal parking spot on Australian next to the restaurant which had quite a few customers milling about. I pressed LuxSuv on the rider app and suddenly there was one closer than me but he was not doing Lux. He was standing on the sidewalk with app in hand (away from the car; he wanted to be closest to the restaurant). I think he parked in the Sunoco station as there were 4 cars there, all illegally parked. Last year the owner had the cops roust them as they let that station be open for credit cards even when nobody is working there.

So I got a ping all the way from the Beach Club near the new Southern White House. LuxSuv was a few steps closer but he was holding out for double pay I guess. 3 gals going to Cachina's. Just after I dropped them off, some middle age ladies wanted to go home. I asked them if they had already requested Uber as I was not assigned. They just wanted to know if I was going to take them home. So 3 got in, one with crutches wearing a boot, and we were waiting on a 4th. I asked who was going to request an Uber. One seemed to try but nothing on my end, so I mentioned I was Uber Lux, not X. She then compared the 2: You are $40 and X is $16 she said, and they all piled out, bought more drinks, and waited for their X car to come over the bridge from downtown.

Even though Cachina's was busy, it wasn't crazy right in front by the curb. There were 5 Lux cars, parked across the street or down the street. Made me wonder if they ever even look at the Rider app? So I just sat there, right in front, until midnight, watching Zero Lux cars disappear from the grid, then went home. Like I said, what a difference a year makes.

Last edited:

Bratok

It's a lot worse than last year. This week 53 hours online, only 5 quick trips, LUX and XL only. No LUXSUV at all.

ZZY

It's a lot worse than last year. This week 53 hours online, only 5 quick trips, LUX and XL only. No LUXSUV at all.
Likely you didn't get invited to the Uber party for "Top" drivers, Looks like to qualify you need to park down the street and stand on the sidewalk by the door to Buccan with app in hand to be a top driver.

ZZY

Likely some of your XL riders know how to get a free upgrade, courteousy of yourself.

ZZY

Way to keep it positive, just trying to make a living.
I wonder how many drivers have considered that driving XL, Lux, and LuxSUV at the same time is hurting everybody's bottom line? Also I have the option to drive X and Lux at the same time. I did that twice: when surge rates for X got to 2.5 or more. I don't see how that is practical anymore, because I don't see where they tell anybody what the multiplier is any more (on the rider app) and it would take a lot of time to figure it out and even then it doesn't blink off the way it used to.
I'm wondering if I should bother to drive New Years Eve this year?? I haven't seen Lux surging in PBC for months.
I was thinking of driving Friday night. I had the app on for 3 hours as I went shopping until 8pm. Didn't get a nibble.

So I looked at the Rider App: 6 Lux at PBI, 7 downtown, 8 on the Island, many more scattered around in places where there used to be none, like Singer Island and Lake Worth. So I went home and turned the app off. Even if i got a ride from home, they would likely be heading downtown, where I would have almost zero chance of getting another rider without waiting for an hour or 2. Or 3. Or 4. I don't know but I rarely see any shortage of Lux cars anywhere. So spending 45 minutes taking sombody downtown and returning to home, burning my gas and devalueing my car, for $10, makes no sense.