1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Package Overload

Discussion in 'Flex' started by elelegido, Mar 8, 2017.

?
  1. I finish the route and deliver any remaining packages I have at block end time for free

2. I take the remaining packages back to the warehouse and finish on time

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. elelegido

elelegido Well-Known Member

As the package drone wheeled the rack over to my car yesterday, he said,

- "Let me know how many packages you have before you leave"
    - "You don't know how many there are?"
    - "No. We didn't get round to counting them"

Whatever. There were 42 on the rack, which I knew would be too many to do within the block time given the distance of the drop area from the warehouse. As I worked the block, it did turn out that I would not finish on time. I also would have to go back to the warehouse because I had some non-deliverables. If I completed the deliveries and then went back to the warehouse I would finish probably an hour after the scheduled block end. I don't work for free or do volunteer work; I need to be paid for all work that I do. So, 25 minutes before the block was scheduled to finish I stopped delivering and headed back to the warehouse. I arrived back at the warehouse exactly at the end of the block, 3pm, and unloaded the packages.

The way I see it, Amazon purchases 3 hour blocks of my time and I give them 3 hour blocks of my time. If they give me an amount of packages that will take more than 3 hours, then they get the packages back. If there were an option for them to purchase additional time from me when I'm out delivering a route I would consider that, but there isn't.

Monkchoi, soupergloo, emmhope and 3 others like this.
  2. Memorex

Memorex Active Member

Never happened. I have a SUV and only do 4 hr. blocks. I average 2-2.5 hours per block. Don't understand what takes folks so long.

3. elelegido

It all depends who is on shift in the warehouse. Some of the drones seem to overload the blocks; some don't. I had one three hour block where I was done in an hour. Most can be done in the time allowed. But occasionally they'll try to sneak a big one in.

Not sure what vehicle size has to do with any of this.

Placebo17 and Glamour&Excess SD like this.
  4. nighthawk398

nighthawk398 Well-Known Member

So if it takes 2 hrs to deliver do you expect to still get paid 3 hrs? It goes both ways sir

Flexin-in-Vegas likes this.
  5. tone17

tone17 Active Member

Amazon:
    Hello,

On February 26, 2017, our records indicate that you did not complete all of your assigned deliveries. Except for packages that are undeliverable, you are expected to deliver every package you pick up.

If you have questions or feedback, feel free to email us at amazonflex-support@amazon.com.

Thank you for using Amazon Flex!
    Best regards,

Me:
    It took me over a half hour to get out of the warehouse. It was backed up and one of the totes was missing from the rack. They made me wait while they found it. If someone had not misplaced the tote, I would have completed the route before needing to return for my next block. This is not my fault.

Amazon:
    Hello,

We reviewed the additional information you provided but this additional information does not change our original determination.

Except for packages that are undeliverable, you are expected to deliver every package you pick up. A block is a batch of packages that is expected to take a certain number of hours to deliver and can vary in duration. While all blocks should be completed within their allocated time, some blocks may finish earlier or later.

We'd appreciate your feedback. Please use the links below to tell us about your experience today.

Best regards,
    Karuna P

6. elelegido

As I said, Amazon purchases three hour blocks of my time from me. Three hours' work for three hours' pay - that is the deal offered by them and what I accept. However, of course they are free to give me work which occupies the full three hours or any lesser amount of time, at their discretion.

Thanks for the sir, though. Very deferential.

Interesting. I had a feeling this would be Amazon's position. So, not a good job if you need to be able to finish at a certain time, as in if you have to pick kids up from school or have to start another job or have other, non-negotiable arrival times. Not very Flex-ible it seems.

adilakif, OJL, Placebo17 and 4 others like this.
  7. tone17

tone17 Active Member

I have returned packages once before, 3 months ago, and did not get any message that time.

8. elelegido

On that block there were a lot of apartment deliveries. I couldn't be bothered to look for each package due to almost all apartment deliveries being non-deliverable, so I just rang the bell on each and then went on to the next one when there was no reply. So I marked all the non-deliverables as "could not complete - past time limit" or whatever that option is.

No delivery blocks available for me today, surprise surprise! I don't think my career with Amazon is going to be a long one.:cool:

To the people above who voted for "I finish the deliveries for free" - what if you have a block from 3-6 and then another at 6-9? If you have packages left from the 3-6, do you just take them back out on the 6-9 and hope that you'll have time to do all of them before the 9pm time limit?

9. Randompanzy

Randompanzy Active Member

Unless you get a 2 hour block or a really awful afternoon 3 hour block this rarely happens. Sometimes you really have to hustle to get them done but I've only had 2 times I went over and that was because I accidently picked up a package in a different zone super far away

nighthawk398 likes this.
  10. Placebo17

Placebo17 Well-Known Member

This is from Ridesharedashboard blog:

"Undelivered Packages at the end of my Amazon Flex Block?

I definitively know that you need to return these packages to the warehouse after your Amazon Flex block is done. If you have multiple blocks in a row, you will return the packages at the end of your overall shift. That means that you will need to drive back to the warehouse in your own time. However, the main fact is that you need to return the packages you haven’t delivered. This is really important. Make sure to call into Amazon Flex driver support and note that you couldn’t finish delivering the packages due to either the number of stops, traffic or anything else you can mention. You will then typically return the packages back to the warehouse.

Remember that you are only covered insurance-wise when you are working during your shift. If you work outside of your shift, Amazon Flex won’t cover you if you have issues. You can’t work for Amazon Flex outside of your scheduled shift.

I have heard that Amazon has been getting in trouble lately for making Amazon flex drivers work beyond their shifts. This has becoming so much of a problem lately that dispatch has been ending Amazon flex driver shift early (on Prime Now), while paying them for the rest of their shift. This means that they won’t be forced to make deliveries. An example of this is when an Amazon flex driver returns to the warehouse about 30 minutes before the end of their shift. Normally, you just wait around until your time is up. Now, they are ending their shifts because Amazon Flex drivers can’t reasonably deliver anything in their time remaining.

I have spoken to many drivers and some noted that they don’t mind working a few minutes beyond their scheduled shift if they have just one last delivery. However, they will return their packages to the warehouse if they still have many deliveries left."

If you're assigned for 3 hours and you're not done. After the third hour, you're on your own. The Amazon Flex insurance doesn't cover after your shift is over so I don't know why that Karuna chick is trying to bully you into finishing blocks passed your schedule. What if something major happens after your schedule and Flex insurance doesn't cover since it was beyond the 3rd or the 4th hour of your schedule? What would Karuna say then? You should really look into their insurance policy and if they say otherwise, you should hire a lawyer.

OJL, Jagent, RGV and 1 other person like this.
  11. Randompanzy

Randompanzy Active Member

I would find it extremely hard to believe if you are deliving packages even after the block has expired that you aren't covered under insurance. Even if the terms of service say that's the case there is no way amazon would win that in court

Shangsta likes this.
  12. jester121

jester121 Well-Known Member

Rumor, innuendo, and conjecture... what does "I've spoken to many drivers" and "I've heard that Amazon has been getting in trouble lately" even mean?

Absolutely nothing.

The emails they send out for increased prices even now say "... estimated to take 3 hours" in them.

Has anyone actually checked to see what the agreement says about insurance coverage? My phone isn't handy but I'm thinking Amazon has a few buildings full of pretty decent lawyers, who aren't likely to get hoodwinked playing scumball. This isn't Uber we're talking about, ferchrissakes....

Shangsta likes this.
  13. CatchyMusicLover

CatchyMusicLover Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Same here. It doesn't make sense, especially given you're still on the app (though, for whatever it's worth, it shows you getting payed after the scheduled time is over).

Shangsta likes this.
  14. Placebo17

I'm pretty sure FedEx had few buildings full of pretty decent lawyers also but they lost to lawyers hired by bunch of independent contractors. If you've already accepted defeat, you've aready lost. It's ironic how you bring up conjecture but you're ultimately doing the same thing.

Do you even know why Amazon uses independent contractors? It's not because they think you're a great guy and they like you. When they schedule you for three hours, you are under contract for three hours, not 3 hours and 30 minutes or 4 hours. Keep working overtime and take risks without knowing the truth. Do you know why Amazon makes all this abstract? It's because they want the people that don't know to work for free.

LOL... You're kidding right? Of course Amazon would win.

Monkchoi and OJL like this.
  15. Placebo17

I would like to add... When I say all this, I don't mean you can work at a snail's pace and return packages every time you're scheduled. I'm pretty sure, if you do this, you'll get deactivated since you suck. But what I'm saying is if you work at a normal pace and you can't finish delivering, you have the right to return the packages after your scheduled time.

Bygosh, Shangsta and elelegido like this.
  16. jester121

jester121 Well-Known Member

Uh no. They're scheduling you for a block, estimated to take X hours to complete. There's no overtime.

And your BS about insurance coverage is also 100% wrong, check the terms in the app to see -- in every case, it refers to "when using Amazon Flex to deliver packages, pick up packages, and return undelivered packages back to a designated location." Not conjecture -- that's the terms, in writing, plain as day.

Shangsta likes this.
  17. DriverX

DriverX Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    It depends, is it easier and less miles to do a couple extra stops at the end of the route time or drive back to the warehouse?

If your going to have to drive back to the warehouse make sure you start that trip with enough time to get there before your block time is over because you are only covered by Amazon insurance for that time.

Sounds like you migh be too cautious in your deliveries. I rarely almost never return a pax because I couldn't deliver it. I;ll find a place to leave it ad if its a locked business I go next door and ask them to hold it and I leave a note. Most receptionists are used to this and don't have a problem holding a pax for their neighbor business, quid pro quo.

Yes I expect to get paid. the CONTRACT is for a set dollar amount. they can't change that.

Well this flies in the face of what the warehouse blue vest have told me. They say to bring them back and I have read fro someone on here that they actally have to allow enough time on the route to get back to the warehouse in case of undeliverables.

But, just because that is how they are supposed to operate doesn't mean they always do.

I'm surprised they would put that in writing. Because when talking to the blue vests about routes that are too far to complete in the time allotted more than once have they said the routes are created for the time to complete them. and that if it goes over that time we should bring them back.

THe key language is that they expect you to deliver all that you pick up. SO leave them on the rack without scanning them. If they ask why tell them you are all full up.

THose apt deliveries though, I would have just left them at the door. I think its better to take the chance that it gets stolen than have to bring it back to the ranch.

18. tone17

tone17 Active Member

When I returned them no one acted like it was a big deal. The thing that pisses me off is that I had to waste like 45 minutes picking up because someone put a tote on the wrong rack. First they made me go double check that scanned all the totes, then the blue vest came over and look in my Rogue to see if they were in there. Then she started looking around for the tote. It was on a different rack. I almost always finish in 2 hours or less. What was I supposed to do? Cancel my second block less than 45 min? Then I would have got an e-mail for that. They expect my to give up $54 because one of their monkeys put a tote on the wrong rack. If it is their fault I will continue returning them to the warehouse.

chuck finley likes this.
  19. DriverX

DriverX Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    yes you should continuing returning them when this happens.

now heres a way to avoid the problem:

pay attention to whats in the totes you scan. if they are all going to another area obviously off the intended route don't scan them and tell the vest you won't take them. If you have already scanned them you can cancel the whole route before swiping finished. It removes all scanned pax from the list and allows yo to start scanning again. I've done this when I noticed that a pax was obviously wrong after scanning it. Can't remeber the exact steps I took through the app to cancel the route but it wasn't hard to figure out. THe first time I did it I thoght it would forfeit the block bt it didn't, it just removed all scanned pax and let me continue scanning.

20. tone17

tone17 Active Member

No, the tote was missing from my rack. When I went to check out, I was 17 packages short.