OVERWHELMING fragrance in Uber

ipv321

I took an Uber yesterday and the driver had some kind of little square thing on her ac vent outlet that let out a chemically fragrance that was so overpowering I wasn't sure I could make it through the ride. Nice driver who I'm sure is doing her best but PLEASE people: Uber doesn't want your car to SMELL like ANYTHING. If your car has an odor change the cabin air filter and replace it with some that has a charcoal component present. Do NOT use anything that is going to asphyxiate your customer. I left this driver 5 stars but did not tip her. Guess I should have told her why but jeez I felt like I might not make it through the ride without a respirator. It was REALLY that strong. Unbearable.

ipv321

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Conflict averse I guess. She'll have to learn the hard way. If she had taken the 5 minutes to view Uber's videos she should have known. Hell she should have known better anyway.

negeorgia

I took an Uber yesterday and the driver had some kind of little square thing on her ac vent outlet that let out a chemically fragrance that was so overpowering I wasn't sure I could make it through the ride. Nice driver who I'm sure is doing her best but PLEASE people: Uber doesn't want your car to SMELL like ANYTHING. If your car has an odor change the cabin air filter and replace it with some that has a charcoal component present. Do NOT use anything that is going to asphyxiate your customer. I left this driver 5 stars but did not tip her. Guess I should have told her why but jeez I felt like I might not make it through the ride without a respirator. It was REALLY that strong. Unbearable.
Not tipping teaches absolutely nothing since over 90% of Uber users don't tip. You always have the option of changing your destination to the next corner, watching the app for your driver to move further away and make a new request or upgrade your next request to XL or select. Never stay in an 'unbearable' Uber situation by choice, it makes you sound immature and infantile. Why didn't you offer to pay for a cabin filter for your driver?

Last edited:

Reversoul

First off, you need to get over yourself. That driver is ruining his/her vehicle to taxi your ungrateful butt around for pennies.

The driver probably thinks that the smell is pleasant to the pax, but doesn't realize it's strong because his or her nose has become adapted to the aroma.

If you had any sense at all, you could have politely told the driver that the freshener was a bit overwhelming. There's a way to tell the driver without sounding snooty and most of us respect honesty.

You might have saved the driver some low ratings. I use the same square air fresheners u speak of. They have little dials on the top that allows the option to control the intensity of aroma.

I have received nothing but compliments from pax.

That said, you accomplished nothing from this thread. Next time have the marbles to speak up.

negeorgia

When you leave a 5 star rating and a comment, the driver can see the comment without knowing who it is from. Since you did not mention the overwhelming, unbearable chemical stench during the ride go back in your trip history and leave a 5 star comment like this: Great ride, but the fragrance from the air freshener was a tad too strong. That way the driver is made aware but also sees your kindness of a 5 star rating.

Reversoul

When you leave a 5 star rating and a comment, the driver can see the comment without knowing who it is from. Since you did not mention the overwhelming, unbearable chemical stench during the ride go back in your trip history and leave a 5 star comment like this: Great ride, but the fragrance from the air freshener was a tad too strong. That way the driver is made aware but also sees your kindness of a 5 star rating.
Excellent idea.

capable

First off, you need to get over yourself. That driver is ruining his/her vehicle to taxi your ungrateful butt around for pennies.

The driver probably thinks that the smell is pleasant to the pax, but doesn't realize it's strong because his or her nose has become adapted to the aroma.

If you had any sense at all, you could have politely told the driver that the freshener was a bit overwhelming. There's a way to tell the driver without sounding snooty and most of us respect honesty.

You might have saved the driver some low ratings. I use the same square air fresheners u speak of. They have little dials on the top that allows the option to control the intensity of aroma.

I have received nothing but compliments from pax.

That said, you accomplished nothing from this thread. Next time have the marbles to speak up.
Well said

ipv321

CONSTRUCTIVE idea and one that I'll follow up on right now. Even though I have no sense at all. If you've had good luck with car "air fresheners" more power to you. Bottom line people: I do believe that MOST people don't want to smell anything in your car. That means if your car smells like strawberries or pine trees or chocolate chip cookies or nuclear fission (my most recent ride) you are most likely annoying most people. Someone has since mentioned that the device in question is a febreeze air freshener. I regular change the cabin air filter in my 2007 Prius with a charcoal impregnated one you can purchase off amazon and easily change yourself. If your car is beginning to smell a little musty this does the trick for me each and every time. If you're trying to cover up something, spills, VOMIT, etc. you need to neutralize the source of the stench, not cover it up with something that most folks find objectionable.

ipv321

Not even the heavenly aroma of the delicious full bodied blond bombshell who just got out? I will go offline and just sit there and enjoy the ambiance of this beauty until it has wafted away. Ahhhhh!
Ummm, there could be exceptions.

berserk42

So...it was obviously a new air freshener. They usually have a "vent cover" slider on the back. Ask driver to close that next time...say scent is just too strong, sorry. Done

And you're going to smell something in my car. If I don't use an air freshener, I hope you enjoy my farts.

Bill Collector

Speaking of cabin air filter, I am replacing one for the first time in 4 years! Never knew it had to be replaced. Driving Uber is great for learning about cars if nothing else. They cost me $20 at autozone. Not sure if it was a charcoal impregnated one.

sea99

I just wanted to chime as a customer to let the drivers know that most customers prefer that you not use fragrance (whether it's in the shape of a tree or a clip on your vent) or perfume. It's not healthy for you or the customer (see article "Is Your Uber Air Freshener Making You Sick" by Kelly Brogan MD).

Reversoul

I just wanted to chime as a customer to let the drivers know that most customers prefer that you not use fragrance (whether it's in the shape of a tree or a clip on your vent) or perfume. It's not healthy for you or the customer (see article "Is Your Uber Air Freshener Making You Sick" by Kelly Brogan MD).
Well as a driver I just want to chime in and let you know that I couldn't care less what customers prefer.

If a customer doesn't like my vehicle fragrance they can get out and enjoy the aroma of body odor and despair on the city bus.

Evilblues77

You want to take a Uber ride after a long night of customers drinking, smoking weed, not showering, and smellin funky? You say customers would prefer that over a decent smelling car?

Anong

Darth Vader is in this thread makes me lol. I'm not even sure why lol.

Ok so now for the serious.

Please tell me she gave an alternative in her article instead of the finger wagging "don't do this". Nevermind, I'll give an alternative since I'm studying to be an MD anyway. Essential oils. One drop of the stuff in the trunk while cleaning out your car has the entire car smelling great. You can put another drop in the front dead pax or even on a drunk smelly pax if you have the balls.

I could go into how some lowers anxiety and all that jazz but if your pax stinks then make ßure you are blowing outside air instead of recirculating. Recirculating can even make you car sick also.

Last edited:

rotagilla

Well as a driver I just want to chime in and let you know that I couldn't care less what customers prefer.

If a customer doesn't like my vehicle fragrance they can get out and enjoy the aroma of body odor and despair on the city bus.
If you keep your car clean you don't need an air freshener

Harleyfxdx1

You want to take a Uber ride after a long night of customers drinking, smoking weed, not showering, and smellin funky? You say customers would prefer that over a decent smelling car?
Roll your windows down and drive a couple miles and the "last night" pax odors will go away. Change you cabin air filter. If you still have problems get your car interior detailed.