• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Overtime

sd1303

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
50 Packages? :O just one order from a customer? Or are you doing multiple platforms?
Nope... all Amazon Prime deliveries. They are all very close together... usually 3-4 minutes between deliveries (or less).

The deliveries go fast, but I’ve gone over the end of my block a couple times. Not sure if folks just keep delivering, ask for a pay adjustment, or mark the remaining packages as not delivered.

Wildgoose

Nope... all Amazon Prime deliveries. They are all very close together... usually 3-4 minutes between deliveries (or less).

The deliveries go fast, but I’ve gone over the end of my block a couple times. Not sure if folks just keep delivering, ask for a pay adjustment, or mark the remaining packages as not delivered.
Oh.. I am sorry. I thought you were doing foods delivery.
As I heard, for the Flex delivery, you are getting paid per delivery. When customers canceled the order, you were to return it to Amazon Facility and no money was made. That's what I heard.

Invisible

I only did Flex through the holidays, but when I determined if I was going to deliver those remaining packages after my block ended, depended upon how close I was to the warehouse and how many deliveries left.

If it would take longer to get back to the warehouse, then I just delivered the packages. Once I was sent 50 min away. No way in heck was I going to return packages all the way back to the warehouse.

My first day, Black Friday I had 50 packages in 3.5 hours to deliver. I worked 1.5 hours over block. That was because I was new, but because I had had to wait an hr in line to drop the a package that couldn’t be delivered because the business was closed. I had to wait an hour in the line of cars since it was a drive thru warehouse. I didn’t know I was allowed to just park and walk in.

I swore I’d never do that again. That’s how I learned really fast how to determine if it was more practical to just deliver after block or return packages. I also verified with the warehouse that I was able to return packages that I didn’t have time to deliver. Had I done that earlier on my first day, I wouldn’t have had to work so long for free.

sd1303

I only did Flex through the holidays, but when I determined if I was going to deliver those remaining packages after my block ended, depended upon how close I was to the warehouse and how many deliveries left.

If it would take longer to get back to the warehouse, then I just delivered the packages. Once I was sent 50 min away. No way in heck was I going to return packages all the way back to the warehouse.

My first day, Black Friday I had 50 packages in 3.5 hours to deliver. I worked 1.5 hours over block. That was because I was new, but because I had had to wait an hr in line to drop the a package that couldn’t be delivered because the business was closed. I had to wait an hour in the line of cars since it was a drive thru warehouse. I didn’t know I was allowed to just park and walk in.

I swore I’d never do that again. That’s how I learned really fast how to determine if it was more practical to just deliver after block or return packages. I also verified with the warehouse that I was able to return packages that I didn’t have time to deliver. Had I done that earlier on my first day, I wouldn’t have had to work so long for free.
Thanks! This is helpful. I wasn’t going to sweat an extra 15-30 minutes, but if it looks like I’m going to run over longer, I’ll do the return process.

Did you mark those returned packages as undeliverable in the app? Or just return them while they were still in your queue?

Invisible

Thanks! This is helpful. I wasn’t going to sweat an extra 15-30 minutes, but if it looks like I’m going to run over longer, I’ll do the return process.

Did you mark those returned packages as undeliverable in the app? Or just return them while they were still in your queue?
No I didn’t mark them as undeliverable, except the one with business closed, because I didn’t attempt them since the block ended. I just returned them and told the warehouse how I didn’t have time. Since I only worked about 15 times for them, it didn’t happen too much. Ask the warehouse how you should mark those. I can’t remember if there was another option to mark them. I do remember I watched the clock towards the end of the block. I also rang the doorbell, dropped the package and took picture of it and didn’t wait for people to answe door since most not home during the day/afternoon. It saved time.

If you organize your car in a way that works for you, that may help. Some told me to organize by the zone. But it didn’t work for me because a few times the zones were mixed up. I did alphabetically, like A-M in back hatch and N-Z in back seat. Once you find what works, it’ll be easier.

oicu812

How about go faster? Better organization inside the car of packages. 50 packages for a 3.5 hr block? Consider yourself lucky if the number of stops is less than 50. I've been doing 45 packages 3 hr blocks with up to 42 stops. All were finished in under 2.5 hrs. If you're organized well, you'll save a lot of time trying to find packages in your car.

Watup

I hv yet to go overtime, my worst have been 2.15hrs for 3.5hr block, and my best have been 70 pckgs 40 drops in 70mnts for 5 hr block.

Makeabuck

I have the same thing happen. this is the way I see it. There are going to be blocks that you finish an hour or more before the end of the block. Then there are blocks that go way over due to traffic and other factors.
That makes me run over almost always.
So long as it evens out over time I have no problem with it. I am still green at this myself. So every block I do I get faster.
One thing to keep in mind. Amazon is a big company that only cares about our numbers. One of them is pickup time. our warehouse is about 20 min late every day. If you look at the days itinerarie it will show if your late or not. I just call them at this point and make sure they know it wasn't your fault for being late. That way at least if you get some report that shows bad numbers you have some recourse.
There have been alot more open blocks lately. Hope it continues.

sd1303

How about go faster? Better organization inside the car of packages. 50 packages for a 3.5 hr block? Consider yourself lucky if the number of stops is less than 50. I've been doing 45 packages 3 hr blocks with up to 42 stops. All were finished in under 2.5 hrs. If you're organized well, you'll save a lot of time trying to find packages in your car.
Calm down Francis. I normally finish in plenty of time, and thus far I haven’t worried about the times I haven’t. My car organization is fine.

oicu812

How do you guys handle it when you get (for instance) 4 hours worth of deliveries for a 3.5 hour block?
How do you know it's 4 hours of package? You can tell before you even start delivering?

Nancy, if you normally finish with time left, why not go a little faster so you don't go over?

sd1303

How do you know it's 4 hours of package? You can tell before you even start delivering?
Because it took 4 hours.

Nancy, if you normally finish with time left, why not go a little faster so you don't go over?
Have you considered that maybe they have me too large a route to try and cover? Or a rack meant for a longer block? I’m going plenty fast, but thanks for the thought.

oicu812

Have you considered that maybe they have me too large a route to try and cover? Or a rack meant for a longer block? I’m going plenty fast, but thanks for the thought.
Obviously not going fast enough. Most drivers like yourself have 1 speed.

BigJohn

Despite some of the questionable replies so far, from my understanding and what I actually went through once (during late December) was that I had a 3 hour block but because of traffic and dark streets (this was a night block and house numbers can be difficult at times to find) the block took almost 4 hours to complete. I submitted a request for additional pay through support and the next day I received a message that it was approved.

Invisible

I submitted a request for additional pay through support and the next day I received a message that I was approved.
Do you really think Flex is going to let drivers do that more than s few times? You are right about traffic delays, night time harder to see addresses, which can delay a driver.

I had posted a pic months ago of a huge apt complex with the longest walk. The time making several deliveries to opposite sides cost me a lot of time.