Overdose

Apec

I’m writing this to put drivers on notice. I’m in recovery. Many people, like me, white collar professional, use Uber to score drugs. Heroin I’m talking about. You would have no idea. I would make a stop (on the app) at any random store, get heroin, and use before 5 minutes are over. Usually 3 minutes. And 2x I od’d in 3 years in the back of an Uber/Lyft. Once I was dropped at the ER and once the driver didn’t realize under he dropped me off. I woke up when ambulance came (called by the driver).

Carry Narcan or not, I’m not saying it’s a drivers job, just don’t be so naive to think addicts don’t use Uber, you would deny me by looking at me, or you would know if we were high or OD’ing

waldowainthrop

It is probably helpful for you to share your experience, but I don’t think a significant portion of drivers will ever be properly prepared to deal with drug abuse or overdosing. It isn’t a driver’s job, as you said, but it’s also not something many drivers are going to be reasonably ready for, besides being willing to dial 911 in a medical emergency.

Drivers generally find it difficult to worry about this on top of driving safely and doing the job appropriately for their less troubled passengers. There is no additional training, pay, experience, insurance, or preparedness that will make a typical driver any more capable of dealing with such a situation than any other passerby or non-specialized service worker.

Uber and Lyft also provide zero support on this issue, and would be quick to deactivate a driver if a medical intervention for a passenger went wrong.

Benjamin M

I’m writing this to put drivers on notice. I’m in recovery. Many people, like me, white collar professional, use Uber to score drugs. Heroin I’m talking about. You would have no idea. I would make a stop (on the app) at any random store, get heroin, and use before 5 minutes are over. Usually 3 minutes. And 2x I od’d in 3 years in the back of an Uber/Lyft. Once I was dropped at the ER and once the driver didn’t realize under he dropped me off. I woke up when ambulance came (called by the driver).

Carry Narcan or not, I’m not saying it’s a drivers job, just don’t be so naive to think addicts don’t use Uber, you would deny me by looking at me, or you would know if we were high or OD’ing
I thank you for your honesty. Genuinely. I, like many Americans, have had issues with alcohol and tobacco over the years. But those are less taboo in our society, which makes it harder for people dealing with drug addiction to come forward.

I would be more than happy to carry Narcan if I could afford it. And I, unlike so many drivers here, am not at all afraid of doing whatever it takes to help anyone in need.

@TemptingFate mentioned me because of this thread - https://uberpeople.net/threads/pax-shooting-up-in-my-car.381089/

What made you decide to create this thread? And welcome, by the way.

Apec

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
It is probably helpful for you to share your experience, but I don’t think a significant portion of drivers will ever be properly prepared to deal with drug abuse or overdosing. It isn’t a driver’s job, as you said, but it’s also not something many drivers are going to be reasonably ready for, besides being willing to dial 911 in a medical emergency.

Drivers generally find it difficult to worry about this on top of driving safely and doing the job appropriately for their less troubled passengers. There is no additional training, pay, experience, insurance, or preparedness that will make a typical driver any more capable of dealing with such a situation than any other passerby or non-specialized service worker.
No I’m sure most drivers won’t be out in the situation I unfortunately put drivers in. But at the same time, I was reading many drivers thinking this could never happen to them. That’s all, and the only reason I wrote this. While I was in rehab 2 years ago, I met others who used Uber like I did, so I’m surely not the only one. Also met some who used Uber to carry/sell drugs as they felt, (maybe incorrectly) they had less liability or less chances of being caught.
Post automatically merged:

I thank you for your honesty. Genuinely. I, like many Americans, have had issues with alcohol and tobacco over the years. But those are less taboo in our society, which makes it harder for people dealing with drug addiction to come forward.

I would be more than happy to carry Narcan if I could afford it. And I, unlike so many drivers here, am not at all afraid of doing whatever it takes to help anyone in need.

@TemptingFate mentioned me because of this thread - https://uberpeople.net/threads/pax-shooting-up-in-my-car.381089/

What made you decide to create this thread? And welcome, by the way.
I only started this thread to hopefully help someone down the road, in any aspect, rider or driver.

Cold Fusion

Symptom: I have empathy of a brick
Diagnosis:
Psychopathy is a personality disorder characterized by a lack of empathy and remorse, shallow affect, glibness, manipulation and callousness.

Steven Ambrose

We know, trust and believe, we know.

The Gift of Fish

Diagnosis:
Psychopathy is a personality disorder characterized by a lack of empathy and remorse, shallow affect, glibness, manipulation and callousness.
What about narcissists, though? They also lack empathy, plus they'd be very pissed off at you for leaving them out and not considering them as a possibility.

Asificarewhatyoudontthink

Personal responsibility for your own actions.
Sympathy to your family when you die is the best you will get from me.
You KNOW you have a problem.
You Admit you have a problem.
You do nothing effective to stop your problem.

Not
My
Problem.

Seek help getting out from under your addiction.

Do not expect someone who isn't a medical professional to save your life.

I know that sounds harsh but read my user name.

You don't think about recovery.
You don't think about solutions.
You don't think about figuring out why you started self medicating.
You don't truly think you are worth saving... Or you would put the honest work into it.

Apec

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yo guys. In response to all, I am not asking for remorse or saying drivers should do this or that. I’m the @@@@@@@ who put people in that crappy situation and it really stinks. But, that’s in the past and now is foolish if that information can’t be used to help another driver or rider . I stumbled onto this site randomly.
In response to the guy I’m replying to, I did all u said and now almost 2 years clean. Only thing I was saying is, I read many people posting how they would know if someone is using, they would cancel the ride, they would leave if a rider took person to a stop....all that. I only say, sometimes sure it’s obvious. For others, it’s not.
Unless you don't make a scheduled atop for a rider at a drugstore, gas station, or office building, you would have unknowingly done the same.
Thanks. Hope this helps someone. Bye

Personal responsibility for your own actions.
Sympathy to your family when you die is the best you will get from me.
You KNOW you have a problem.
You Admit you have a problem.
You do nothing effective to stop your problem.

Not
My
Problem.

Seek help getting out from under your addiction.

Do not expect someone who isn't a medical professional to save your life.

I know that sounds harsh but read my user name.

You don't think about recovery.
You don't think about solutions.
You don't think about figuring out why you started self medicating.
You don't truly think you are worth saving... Or you would put the honest work into it.

Cold Fusion

What about narcissists, though? They also lack empathy, plus they'd be very pissed off at you for leaving them out and not considering them as a possibility.
There are many differences between psychopaths and narcissists. Narcissists tend to overvalue themselves at the expense of others.

The Gift of Fish

There are many differences between psychopaths and narcissists. Narcissists tend to overvalue themselves at the expense of others.

Of course there are differences between a narcissist and a psychopath. :rollseyes:

The point is that the guy said he has no empathy and you diagnosed him as a psychopath. However, you omitted the possibility that he could be a narcissist. Narcissists also lack empathy. Or, he could simply have no empathy but not be either a psychopath or a narcissist.