• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Out of town trip requests

AmeliaIslandUber

What do you guys do when you get an out of town trip request?

My second week of ubering I had a young lady request to go to Savannah. I didn't even think about it, and just said lets go. I realized the long dead head back would cut into the profitability but I was pretty sure she would tip for such an unusual request. She didn't, but she did get completely changed in the back seat, so maybe she thought that was my tip.

Last night I had a guy ask to go to Gainesville. Actually turned out to be about half an hour the other side of Gainesville. This time I paused, but still said yes. He at least tipped $16, which pretty much covered the gas meaning I netted about $18 an hour. Probably about what I could have expected sticking local on a Thursday evening, and this was guaranteed.

So, do you,

a) start the trip with a smile,
b) say, "I'd be happy to take you there, but they trip back will be dead milage, could you possibly top up the fair with $20 (probably guaranteeing a lousing rating)
c) cancel and tell them to find another sucker?

JaxBeachDriver

My second week of ubering I had a young lady request to go to Savannah. I didn't even think about it, and just said lets go. I realized the long dead head back would cut into the profitability but I was pretty sure she would tip for such an unusual request. She didn't, but she did get completely changed in the back seat, so maybe she thought that was my tip.

Last night I had a guy ask to go to Gainesville. Actually turned out to be about half an hour the other side of Gainesville. This time I paused, but still said yes. He at least tipped $16, which pretty much covered the gas meaning I netted about $18 an hour. Probably about what I could have expected sticking local on a Thursday evening, and this was guaranteed.

So, do you,

b) say, "I'd be happy to take you there, but they trip back will be dead milage, could you possibly top up the fair with $20 (probably guaranteeing a lousing rating)
How much were those fares?

AmeliaIslandUber

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Savannah was about $120 and Gainesville was $87. Both UberX. It seems that there are young people planning trips that look at UberX rates and figure it's cheaper and faster to fly one place and take an Uber than make a connecting flight. At cab or UberBlack rates they would never do that. Of course, at UberBlack rates you'd probably love that trip.

joshuajaxuberx

I remember hearing word that Uber was going to start trips from Orlando to Miamk. I think it would be cool if Uber open up some sort of out of town service. I always thought if you left Jacksonville Uber would automatically end the trip.

AmeliaIslandUber

No, although apparently there is only a $150 credit card guarantee. If the card is declined and it's less then $150 you will never hear about it, over $150 you aren't getting paid. I found that out from reading other cities forums. There is even a story about some girls requesting an Uber from DC to NYC, but the drivers only willing to take them to the next city. So, they did it in segments from DC to Baltimore, Baltimore to Philly, Philly to NYC.

If I could request one feature, aside from an add tip button, it would be a directional request function. A way for drivers to say, I'm willing to take request only in this general direction, or I'll do a run between these two locations at a discount. I live on Amelia Island and depend upon runs to the airport from the resorts here. Deadheading back makes no economic sense, so I then have to just take the trips where they take me and hope that at some point I get closer to home. I've had days were every trip took me further south and west.

AmeliaIslandUber

Damn, I was planning, if I ever got a zero star rider to keep the trip going while I hopped a non-stop flight to Tokyo and ending it there.

Last edited:

dawn dee

I am not sure what I would do probably say yes too. 120.00 to savannah is half tank of gas for me. So full tank 40.00 still make 80.00 I guess. I have that issue when I end up at beach then Im dead driving back to southside.

UberReallySucks

So, do you,

b) is your best option ... if the pax is cool about it and understanding he has no reason to rate you badly... if it's an @@@@@@@ then that's probably not who you want in your car for a couple of hours anyway. Plus they can also get you in trouble with UBER by saying you're offering rides for CASH instead of the UBER way :smiles: completely Cashless transactions where all are gratuities are "included"... See all of this would be so much easier if only UBER would add a TIP Button on their constantly updated, always malfunctioning but pretty to look at APP.

JaxBeachDriver

I am not sure what I would do probably say yes too. 120.00 to savannah is half tank of gas for me. So full tank 40.00 still make 80.00 I guess. I have that issue when I end up at beach then Im dead driving back to southside.
Ugh!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Gas is NOT your only expense! This is why uber can continue to cut fares and there will still be a thousand drivers online in any given city

XUberMike

Savannah was about $120 and Gainesville was $87. Both UberX. It seems that there are young people planning trips that look at UberX rates and figure it's cheaper and faster to fly one place and take an Uber than make a connecting flight. At cab or UberBlack rates they would never do that. Of course, at UberBlack rates you'd probably love that trip.
Jacksonville to Savannah is a 2 1/2 hour drive no traffic with a dead ride back with gas...so that's less than $20 an hour, what do you value your time at? Was it slow? no traffic? If it was me I would do it if it was slow, no traffic (it's an easy drive) and I had a good mileage car but I love Sanannah.

JaxBeachDriver

Jacksonville to Savannah is a 2 1/2 hour drive no traffic with a dead ride back with gas...so that's less than $20 an hour, what do you value your time at? Was it slow? no traffic? If it was me I would do it if it was slow, no traffic (it's an easy drive) and I had a good mileage car but I love Sanannah.
$20/hour?! How do you figure?

Savannah is 151 miles from Jax. That's 302 miles round trip.

My costs are about 35 cents per mile (maintenance, fuel, depreciation) for my town car, and that's pretty low. Yours are probably more. That means that trip would cost me, the driver, $105.70! So that would leave a profit of $14.30 to pay taxes and compensate you for 5 hours of your time.

(By the way, I charge $120 Jax beach - Fernandina.)

Last edited:

JaxBeachDriver

gas, oil, tires, brakes, wheel bearings, engines, transmission...
Tires, shocks, belts, fluid top-ups, radiators (I've cracked a few), headlights/tail lights/brake lights, fuses, latches, window motors/relays, scratched tint, cracked windshield, cabin air filter... God forbid you have a foldable armrest in the backseat bc some dumb ass will sit on it or lean so hard on it, it tears.

Last edited:

dawn dee

This is a part time deal for some cash you have to maintain your vehicle anyway so I think that's a bad way to look at it. I have not had any bad riders yet but am also new. Uber makes money for uber we all know that.

JaxBeachDriver

This is a part time deal for some cash you have to maintain your vehicle anyway so I think that's a bad way to look at it. I have not had any bad riders yet but am also new. Uber makes money for uber we all know that.
No, it's not a bad way to look at it. That car costs you money. The maintenance that you pay is part of the cost. The depreciation on your vehicle is far greater when you drive a vehicle for hire. The maintenance costs are also far greater. How often do you carry around 3 or 4 grown men in your car when you're not ridesharing? That adds additional wear and tear on the vehicle that it would not typically undertake

AmeliaIslandUber

That was one of the factors I considered when I decided to take the Gainesville run. Vehicle wear and tear and gas consumption are much less on a long highway run at a moderate speed then what I expected my alternative was, bunch of little trips in heavy city traffic. If you get unlucky you can easily have as many dead miles between dropoff and pickup as you do actual revenue miles. I avoid the west side for just that reason.

MrsUberJax

Dawn Dee's response is that of a typical uber newbie and is the gullible bread & butter for Uber. (Dawn, this is NOT a personal attack on you but an informed opinion of how Uber is exploiting of the "extra cash" part time driver.). Uber's fleet management program consists solely of managing the driver "burn-out" rate. Uber meets the demand of its customers by over saturating the market with drivers who view this income as 'extra' without properly calculating the true costs of driving. With consistent market over saturation, Uber is satisfactorily meeting demand, but experienced drivers are seeing their earnings per mile plummet. As the 'newbie' driver learns how depreciation, mileage, damage, and time is accurately measured, nationwide, most drivers "burn-out" and log off indefinitely. The exception of course are those drivers like myself who carefully strategize to maximize their $/mile earned and alternatively those driver's who have no choice but to mortgage their assets for payment up-front, nevertheless resulting in a net negative on their balance sheet.
In short, you say that you make your car payment anyway, that you pay your insurance anyway, but you'd be a couch potato anyway- but those arguments blind you to the true costs of your 'part-time' extra earnings. For those of you who would like to learn this lesson sooner rather than later I suggest that you set up an Uber only bank account. Operate your Ubering like a business, use only the money you earn to pay the operating expenses of your gig. Include your car payment and any portion of your insurance that you would attribute to your Ubering Vehicle. Pay gasoline, car washes, tires, oil changes, and all other expenses with your Uber income - and don't dip into your personal account for any reason. In a mileage log, keep track of your mileage every day - and calculate out how much it costs to operate your vehicle per mile. Include everything, cost of vehicle, insurance, repairs, gasoline, etc. maintain the record of your actual costs versus what you see in your bank account. You will see gains in your personal account when your Ubering covers the car & insurance payments - but when you try to sustain this model, & accurately account for all of your expenses, you may see that a positive balance in your Uber account may not be sustainable.

I know, this is the last thing you Uber newbies want to hear about your extra income. Check the Trade In value of your vehicle occasionally as you drive all those extra miles, watch your insurance rate go up as you report your mileage to your insurance company. Do the math, don't be an Uber sucker, or a "bread and butter" newbie for Uber. Work smarter, watch your costs & don't mortgage your assets. Don't stick your head in the sand and pretend that these costs and expenses do not exist, but in the long run, do what's best for you. Good luck out there.