Out of State Plates for Phoenix riders

newb_to_oob

Is it possible to drive for Uber if you have out of state plates? I saw other cities talking about how it was okay but idk. I want to do it but do not want to change my plates because I am moving back to Utah in August. Me and my husband are down here for the summer and it would be a major hassle to get it changed

Jdemonto

Is it possible to drive for Uber if you have out of state plates? I saw other cities talking about how it was okay but idk. I want to do it but do not want to change my plates because I am moving back to Utah in August. Me and my husband are down here for the summer and it would be a major hassle to get it changed
Only Lyft allows this, Uber requires registration and insurance from state that you will be driving in.

CO_Cowboy

Yep. Tried it, couldn't drive without proper registration.
However, my son uses our vehicle when we are not. So... You may try sharing a vehicle that is properly documented.

I think it varies by state (according to Phoenix Greenlight office; I'll leave it to you to judge how accurate their info is. :p ). Drivers in AZ are supposedly required to have AZ license/registration/insurance, but I would swear I've seen at least one Uber in PHX with California plates. I had them check requirements for another specific state and that state does NOT require in-state license/registration/insurance OR vehicle inspection.

I've seen them too. I've even seen Canada license plate with Uber dress. But, then again, I've also seen two doors. There's a number of slaves out there using uncertified cars....what else would you expect when all it takes is one eye, one hand, 4 wheels and a willing to work for minimum. Not sure Uber really cares that much unless the pax complains.

CarterPeerless

You might see one, but it doesn't mean they are working. Could be bootleg cars trolling for cash rides. People also use the trade dress to try to avoid getting pulled over for DUI's

DriverXLPlus

taxisuper

These will prevent you from driving after you get caught. Nothing to prevent it before. I have had to many stories from riders about a different car to believe it is not a somewhat common practice.
Takes a pretty stupid rider to get into a car that isn't the one listed on their app. A couple of months ago I had a PAX who told me his daughter in Dallas jumped into a car with trade dress, but didn't check to see if it matched. She just asked if the guy was there for them. She and friends were out drinking and were picked up in the Dallas equivelant of OTS. The guy took off with them, showed them his gun and proceeded to visit their ATMs with them. When I mentioned this to a couple other riders from Dallas they confirmed it had become a problem there.

SEAL Team 5

I think it varies by state (according to Phoenix Greenlight office; I'll leave it to you to judge how accurate their info is. :p ). Drivers in AZ are supposedly required to have AZ license/registration/insurance.
You are correct. HB 2135 has all the requirements and even refers to ARS 41 (various subsections) for more indepth requirements. But don't worry, our paid off governor has given a blanket pardon to all Uber drivers. I've seen CA, UT, MD and PA license plates doing TNC in AZ.
I'd be more concerned about my out-of-state insurance policy being valid for commercial use in a different state. You don't want to find out the hard way by having some uninsured drunk running a red light and hitting your car.

newb_to_oob

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well they wouldn't approve me without AZ registration so ‍♀ Oh well. Thanks for tip about Lyft though. I signed up and was approved almost right away.

PHXTE

Takes a pretty stupid rider to get into a car that isn't the one listed on their app. A couple of months ago I had a PAX who told me his daughter in Dallas jumped into a car with trade dress, but didn't check to see if it matched. She just asked if the guy was there for them. She and friends were out drinking and were picked up in the Dallas equivelant of OTS. The guy took off with them, showed them his gun and proceeded to visit their ATMs with them. When I mentioned this to a couple other riders from Dallas they confirmed it had become a problem there.
I had a rider do that once in an apartment complex. I was driving around looking for her and she apparently jumped in some stranger's pick-up truck before I found her. I'm not sure how she confused a Ford Focus for a pick up, but....

These will prevent you from driving after you get caught. Nothing to prevent it before. I have had to many stories from riders about a different car to believe it is not a somewhat common practice.
I've heard and seen too many stories to not believe it isn't somewhat common. Especially with Chevy Sparks and old cop cars.

I had a rider do that once in an apartment complex. I was driving around looking for her and she apparently jumped in some stranger's pick-up truck before I found her. I'm not sure how she confused a Ford Focus for a pick up, but....

I've heard and seen too many stories to not believe it isn't somewhat common. Especially with Chevy Sparks and old cop cars.
I have two cars on my driver app. One time I forgot to switch the vehicles and I think it was the third pax I gave a ride to that morning was the one who brought it to my attention. I'm surprised no one noticed earlier because a Subaru Forester and Dodge caliber look nothing alike. I bet a good percentage of the pax just aren't really paying that much attention.

AZAV8R

So does that mean I can still drive XL even though I just traded in my van for a 2 door sports car? Actually, never mind, I don't plan on driving Uber or Left ever again after seeing my accountant at tax time. There ya go folks, one less driver in the PHX area. Hooray for you! Enjoy it.

CarterPeerless

So does that mean I can still drive XL even though I just traded in my van for a 2 door sports car? Actually, never mind, I don't plan on driving Uber or Left ever again after seeing my accountant at tax time. There ya go folks, one less driver in the PHX area. Hooray for you! Enjoy it.
Good luck to you. Tell the world what you experienced, so that the misconceptions can be broken. Someday I hope we can all join you on the outside.

Callaway.chels

I've seen them too. I've even seen Canada license plate with Uber dress. But, then again, I've also seen two doors. There's a number of slaves out there using uncertified cars....what else would you expect when all it takes is one eye, one hand, 4 wheels and a willing to work for minimum. Not sure Uber really cares that much unless the pax complains.
Some of us out of state drivers are military....

FXService

So, when I first moved here. I was able to drive here 3 weeks with my SC License and Plates. but my insurance was already AZ. It's like their system has automated audits of different regions checking for compliance because I got an email saying I needed to update my documents to AZ before driving.