Uber Drivers Forum banner

OUT OF CONTROL - ILLEGAL PICKUPS

4K views 60 replies 36 participants last post by  The Reaper 
#1 ·
Illegal pick ups are really getting worse, Uber is at fault for not educating riders and we too are at fault by continuing to bread stupid mentality for riders that can get picked up from where ever they fancy. What can we do about this ?? My cancellation rate is now easily 50%. Should we be writing in everytime this happens collectively ?? My income has taken hit for sure... but really it’s not worth stopping in the middle of a major bus zone to load up dumb ass pax with luggage because they don’t know what they are doing or don’t care!!

#7 ·
Oh yeah and when we call and they don't show up on time and we cancel, don't we risk deactivation? how long will that last?

It is not just the CBD. This problem is rife everywhere. Uber complain about driver's cancelling, yet they leave this problem unchecked - I don't understand why?
This is also where ratings work again the Uber system, if there's a risk of a heated conversation or problem pickup then in most cases I'll avoid the whole thing.

#15 ·
xactly.....only difference is now you can earn demerits as well as fines

But there are no legal pick zone in the cbd. Stay out of the cbd is can't do the illegal pick ups . I have been doing illegal pick up in the cbd in the last 3 years . I never ever got one fine yet . Ubering in the cbd is hard work . Not worth it . Too many traffic, and lately got compliant from pax who can only a fine words of English saying I don't talk . I m already stress out and tired from driving with blocked road and traffic.
Oh for petes sake.... break out the violins

#8 ·
...you don't have to cancel ever,have copy and paste message that is illegal for you to stop in illegal places ,tell them that you will understand if they cancel, send it before you start driving towards pax,if you see that isn't safe for you to stop at the pickup spot,don't cancel, keep driving past and wait for pax cancelation.
That way you have hope of getting cancel fee and same time educating pax...

#14 ·
Illegal pick ups are really getting worse, Uber is at fault for not educating riders and we too are at fault by continuing to bread stupid mentality for riders that can get picked up from where ever they fancy. What can we do about this ?? My cancellation rate is now easily 50%. Should we be writing in everytime this happens collectively ?? My income has taken hit for sure... but really it's not worth stopping in the middle of a major bus zone to load up dumb ass pax with luggage because they don't know what they are doing or don't care!!
But there are no legal pick zone in the cbd. Stay out of the cbd is can't do the illegal pick ups . I have been doing illegal pick up in the cbd in the last 3 years . I never ever got one fine yet . Ubering in the cbd is hard work . Not worth it . Too many traffic, and lately got compliant from pax who can only a fine words of English saying I don't talk . I m already stress out and tired from driving with blocked road and traffic.

#16 ·
But there are no legal pick zone in the cbd. Stay out of the cbd is can't do the illegal pick ups . I have been doing illegal pick up in the cbd in the last 3 years . I never ever got one fine yet .
There are spaces where you can legally pick up from i.e. parking spaces, no parking, loading zones etc.,

But I agree it is very trying. I don't pick up from bus zones, no stopping roads etc anymore. I used to do until like a month ago. Now, I either wait out the cancellation or just cancel if the Uber timer doesn't keep ticking. It pauses when you drive too far away from the pax. Also it's best to not accept pings in the first place that are from troublesome places.

From now on, as suggested here, I'm gonna start educating the pax by sending a msg after 2 mins of waiting time to let them know of why I'm about to cancel.

#21 ·
I use Uber 3 or 4 times a month as a pax. I have never been educated!! Of course, I know where NOT to wait but as every driver knows pax are generally oblivious. About a year ago I had pax comment that the app had suggested a more popular pick up point but that disappeared fairly quickly . Perhaps it was just a trial and has been scrapped but of course we will be the last to know.

#25 ·
Cancelling as a no show is my favourite income.

Not because it's profitable. Nor because I like wasting my time. It's because pax press a button and the cancel fee is added as a credit on their account in seconds. I always educate pax on how to claim back cancelation fees (except for a hole pax)

Basically, FUber are out of pocket paying us and the ATO. One day they might realise that some pax education might save them a fortune...... but they are too smart for that. lol

#28 ·
I generally Drive Friday/Saturday late evening/Night, so not much drama to stop on No stopping zone etc. most of the Bus lanesbecame Normal lane for weekend and late night. but last two week I drove 4 hours in the morning and it was so scary. lots of request from Oxford street bus lane!! No stopping zone etc. I don't care on weekend about these restrictions but working days heavy traffic, rangers, rushing people.
lessons learnt. No ubering week days.

#31 ·
hahaha you're hilarious...
Thanks. Yes you are not the first to appreciate my humour. Glad you enjoy it too.

Your post doesn't have anything to do with my question. I know the rates what was the point of your post

and yet you still didn't answer my question. ..
If you read my orignal post you will find I specifically put in the exclusion of A Hole pax.

*If you need to know what this means, PM me on here.

* If you know what it means, then why would you not help a non A Hole pax? There are some dodgy drivers out there! And why would FUber allow a refund if they did not think the customer was entitled to it? FFS!

For the record, I hate illegal pick ups. Many of them are crazy and lots of them are from A holes. However, plenty of them are FUbers fault and there is a legal pick up spot near by.... some drivers (perhaps those not familiar with Sydney) will park illegally and then cancel at 5 mins..... when in actual fact the customer was waiting in a legal spot. Examples include near Star City (many spots), ICC (pinned at the bus stop, not the pick up area), major 4/5 star hotels (most with dedicated pick up spots) and various pubs and clubs. A simple phone call or text and the pax is in your car ASAP. Why would you NOT encourage them to claim a cancelation fee refund for a non A hole pax?

A stupid impossible pick up spot, and they do not get in my car. I drive by and cancel too, like the OP. Sometimes I will not even accept the ping if I know exactly the location they are in.

I trust this clarifies the issue for you. Thanks for reaching out (again).. Thanks for keeping your city moving.

Is there anything else I can help you with?

#32 ·
Thanks. Yes you are not the first to appreciate my humour. Glad you enjoy it too.

If you read my orignal post you will find I specifically put in the exclusion of A Hole pax.

*If you need to know what this means, PM me on here.

* If you know what it means, then why would you not help a non A Hole pax? There are some dodgy drivers out there! And why would FUber allow a refund if they did not think the customer was entitled to it? FFS!

For the record, I hate illegal pick ups. Many of them are crazy and lots of them are from A holes. However, plenty of them are FUbers fault and there is a legal pick up spot near by.... some drivers (perhaps those not familiar with Sydney) will park illegally and then cancel at 5 mins..... when in actual fact the customer was waiting in a legal spot. Examples include near Star City (many spots), ICC (pinned at the bus stop, not the pick up area), major 4/5 star hotels (most with dedicated pick up spots) and various pubs and clubs. A simple phone call or text and the pax is in your car ASAP. Why would you NOT encourage them to claim a cancelation fee refund for a non A hole pax?

A stupid impossible pick up spot, and they do not get in my car. I drive by and cancel too, like the OP. Sometimes I will not even accept the ping if I know exactly the location they are in.

I trust this clarifies the issue for you. Thanks for reaching out (again).. Thanks for keeping your city moving.

Is there anything else I can help you with?
FYI........ I did not get a PM

Glad that issue is sorted. Looolllllllll

#34 ·
It's because of decades of complacency before the days of ridesharing, when taxis would stop virtually anywhere they're hailed. Customers have come to expect rideshare as the replacement taxi, and views it as expecting the same service only cheaper.
Oh yeah..? how come they expect to drink beer and take over the stereo.. do you do that in a Taxi? Dunno...I dont take taxis

#36 ·
Illegal pick ups are really getting worse, Uber is at fault for not educating riders and we too are at fault by continuing to bread stupid mentality for riders that can get picked up from where ever they fancy. What can we do about this ?? My cancellation rate is now easily 50%. Should we be writing in everytime this happens collectively ?? My income has taken hit for sure... but really it's not worth stopping in the middle of a major bus zone to load up dumb ass pax with luggage because they don't know what they are doing or don't care!!
If they see me, I direct them (point) to the nearest legal position for pick-up. If they don't, I park somewhere legal within the countdown radius. They can either call me or I'm happy to take the wait time fee (at the 5 minute mark).

#37 ·
to anyone new on this forum that asks questions that start with "does Uber................."

pls no the standard answer is NO !

UBER dont give a rats about anything but making money.
they will put all responsibilities on the drivers to drive within the laws of the city, and at the same time on the passengers to also behave within the laws of the city.

outside of that, DO NOT EXPECT anything from them.
expect even less from the cut and past mob - ie support

drive because you can make some extra cash
work out where and how so its with as little stress as possible

any kind of stress should be a sign to keep it moving.
dont ever worry about cancel or acceptance rates and on top of that your rating as a driver.

the rest of the "we are here to help" is straight from the UBER BUTT

as for doing anything that can cost you a fine - its all on you.
if you want to take the risk - do it
if you dont, dont.
drive to an area where your comfortable and work out the times and cycles of how to make money in those areas.
if you need help - go through this forum as lots of people have given good tips and you'll also note theres people here who make fairly good coin so ultimately its all on you !
make it work for YOU !

#39 ·
If I drive past a rider and they are standing under a no stopping sign or on a corner I just roll my eyes towards the heavens smile and vigorously make all sorts of disjointed arm actions while pointing at the signs...then shake my head and shrug ...sure is entertaining

Hopefully the pax learns the hard way

Sending messages is a good idea provided its well worded

Also we are liable if anything goes wrong not only likely police charges but can also be sued for damages..that could be many times what you have ever made with Uber

So as professionals hahaha we just need to can bad pickups and flag as safety issue or let them cancel ...

#43 ·
I really can't believe so many of you guys break the law on a regular basis and think that because you disagree with the law then it's OK.
What sort of message is that sending to your children?
If you want the laws to change then get into the face of the people who can do something about it, write to your local MP, every day if necessary, demand action, email them 10 times a day, explain that we want to do the best job that we can without breaking any laws, is that too much to ask?
Tell them we want to do our jobs without living in fear of excessive fines, demerit points, incarceration, or even worse.
This is a brand new industry, now is the time to have your say before they set it in stone.
The upcoming state and federal elections will have pollies a bit more receptive than usual.
It's all up to us.

#46 ·
I really can't believe so many of you guys break the law on a regular basis and think that because you disagree with the law then it's OK.
What sort of message is that sending to your children?
If you want the laws to change then get into the face of the people who can do something about it, write to your local MP, every day if necessary, demand action, email them 10 times a day, explain that we want to do the best job that we can without breaking any laws, is that too much to ask?
Tell them we want to do our jobs without living in fear of excessive fines, demerit points, incarceration, or even worse.
This is a brand new industry, now is the time to have your say before they set it in stone.
The upcoming state and federal elections will have pollies a bit more receptive than usual.
It's all up to us.
I can't find Bermuda NSW in google maps cough? where is it?

#48 ·
Had a pick up just now in Wollongong where I drive, l could see it was a bus stop. I have picked up/dropped off people there before, but I figure I'm playing with fire and it's only a matter of time before I'm busted, not sure what the fine is, but I bet it's a fair amount. I sent pax a message saying I can't pick up in a bus stop and to move to a legal stopping spot and everything was fine. They were from out of town and didn't know they were in a bus stop, but happy to oblige. I guess if you send a message that's all you can really do. Pax unwilling to move don't get picked up

#49 ·
But is the Uber app at fault? The last time I took an Uber in the CBD the app did direct me to walk to a specific spot which was indeed a legal pickup point.

Assuming this always works and riders are too lazy to follow instructions it is up to drivers to modify pax behaviour by going to a legal pickup and making the phone call.

This post has been deleted
#55 ·
What do you mean?
I am your passenger and I am not a poor person who happened to be a cheap ass as well,
and who can't afford normal transport so I am using a budget transport service like uber x or uber poo.

I am a 6ft obese man and its always been a dream of mine to be driven is a Suzuki swift from the City to Penrith.
You are my driver and its your job to pick me up from wherever I request.
No stopping, middle of the road, a massive intersection island, a real island etc.
I am paying you big pennies for your services so do as you are told.
Also before I forget scoop that vomit from the back seat, I mean I had to empty it somewhere.

I am paying you money so my wish is your command.
And don't you dare to drive pass me by the whole 3.5m and make me walk to that no stopping sign.
I got your lucrative uber career on the tip of my fingers, one click and I report you and get you kicked out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.