Orlando Drivers

muzichik09

Is it just me or do no riders in Orlando tip? I'm new and have done 25+ rides and only 1 ride wanted to tip. They only wanted to tip because they were fellow Uber drivers from another state. Otherwise no one has offered a tip. If Uber wants to stay competitive with Lyft they really should add the option on the app. I have noticed that a lot of Uber drivers have left and gone to Lyft. Also, why is it so hard to maintain a 4.95-5 star rating? My car is clean, I am friendly, are riders just super picky and won't hand out 5 stars? I always give pax 5 stars even if I didn't like them all that much. Ok that's it, I'm done venting/complaining!

autofill

It doesn't matter what you do, you'll always get three 4* or lower ratings out of every 10 rated rides. Lyft pax doesn't tip either, I get more tips from uber pax.

SEAL Team 5

Is it just me or do no riders in Orlando tip? no one has offered a tip. why is it so hard to maintain a 4.95-5 star rating? are riders just super picky and won't hand out 5 stars?
Remember you're only a stones throw from Disney World. There's only one place Uber drivers get treated like kings, get tipped on every fare and maintain a perfect 5 star rating. That place is Fantasyland located in the Magic Kingdom.

Tax

Tips only happen when you ask for advice..no one tips and use the only got a card as a excuse not too.

Ben105

I was in MCO last week and I took Lyft a few places and tipped each time. I felt bad, but I didn't have a car and I needed to stop at Walgreen's to pick something up before going back to my hotel. I was in there less than 5 minutes, but I doubled the tip for the driver. It was an $8 ride total and I gave him $10 tip.

I do prefer to take Lyft when I travel because I rarely have cash and can tip more easily.

Ubertimes

Every customer asks, so do you make good money driving for uber? I say wellllll
That depends on the amount of cash tips I receive, that's when it gets so quiet you can hear a pin drop! I love that feeling when they arent sure what to do next!
You have to learn how to munipulate their tight wade part of cheapitis, you have to be like a Jedi master and play mind games

Mars Troll Number 4

That depends on the amount of cash tips I receive, that's when it gets so quiet you can hear a pin drop! I love that feeling when they arent sure what to do next!
You have to learn how to munipulate their tight wade part of cheapitis, you have to be like a Jedi master and play mind games
I have a laminated handout to answer "Why don't you drive for Uber?" (the most common response after looking at my handout is sheer disbelief.) They just can not believe that i'm only giving Mears about 30% of the meter. Personally, id rather have 66% of $2.40 (Plus tips) AFTER expenses than 80% of 65c BEFORE expenses.

As far as getting tips.... that's impossible. I'll get people paying on credit in the taxi telling me that if they could they would tip me. It always happened it always will.. Some people will simply NEVER give you a tip. There is nothing you can do.

Don't be a jerk, be thankful for what tips you do get...

and keep in mind, while some areas tip far better than others, i'ts not an excuse to work areas that never tip.

OrlUberOffDriver

Orlando market, AKA "No tipping Market". Did my montly ride yesterday and i am glad my honey hole has not been discovered...yet!
Online 56 minutes, 1 ping going to Wedermere for 20.00 net NO tip.

SlurredReaction

I have a laminated handout to answer "Why don't you drive for Uber?" (the most common response after looking at my handout is sheer disbelief.) They just can not believe that i'm only giving Mears about 30% of the meter. Personally, id rather have 66% of $2.40 (Plus tips) AFTER expenses than 80% of 65c BEFORE expenses.

As far as getting tips.... that's impossible. I'll get people paying on credit in the taxi telling me that if they could they would tip me. It always happened it always will.. Some people will simply NEVER give you a tip. There is nothing you can do.

Don't be a jerk, be thankful for what tips you do get...

and keep in mind, while some areas tip far better than others, i'ts not an excuse to work areas that never tip.
Mears drivers can't be tipped on card?

The Mollusk

Mears drivers can't be tipped on card?
The cards are set up so that tipping is default , they give the pax the option of 10, 15, 20% or other. The pax has to really hunt around the machine to leave a $0 tip. The majority of folks who don't want to tip you will just hit the 10% just to get it over with, while the truly cheap pax ( Indians, hood rats etc.) will hunt around the machine until they figure out how to leave a $0 tip.

Mears takes 6% of your credit card fees because they can. That's why most cabbies hate ccs.

MT4, I know youve been doing a lot longer than me, but the split between Mears and driver is not 70/30. At best, during a crazy week would be 60/40, I think it's typically 40/60.(after tolls, gas etc). Don't forget that Mears always gets paid first so there's dedinteky some 10/90 scenarios outs there.

That said, it beats the hell out of Uber. You guys get 75/25 out of a very small number and retain an amazing amount of hidden expenses and risks.

The Mollusk

Oh, and everyone spare me the PC crap about stereotyping bad tippers. I know the "but one time" stories are coming.

SlurredReaction

The cards are set up so that tipping is default , they give the pax the option of 10, 15, 20% or other. The pax has to really hunt around the machine to leave a $0 tip. The majority of folks who don't want to tip you will just hit the 10% just to get it over with, while the truly cheap pax ( Indians, hood rats etc.) will hunt around the machine until they figure out how to leave a $0 tip.

Mears takes 6% of your credit card fees because they can. That's why most cabbies hate ccs.

MT4, I know youve been doing a lot longer than me, but the split between Mears and driver is not 70/30. At best, during a crazy week would be 60/40, I think it's typically 40/60.(after tolls, gas etc). Don't forget that Mears always gets paid first so there's dedinteky some 10/90 scenarios outs there.

That said, it beats the hell out of Uber. You guys get 75/25 out of a very small number and retain an amazing amount of hidden expenses and risks.
Ohhhh okay. 6% isn't bad. And it's good they make the rider hunt for $0 tip option.

The Mollusk

Yeah that was thoughtful of them to make it difficult to *not* tip.

-6% on ccs actually sucks if you think about it. It's basically a reverse tip on every cc transaction, but taking cc beats not taking ccs everyday.

Saw a skeevy diamond cab refuse a CC at the west concourse this weekend and the starter kicked him out of line

Mickeym88

Tips in a taxi are only missing when you get cash paying local. Everyone tips taxi drivers and I got a fair share when I drove for mears a couple years ago. The struggle are the long days and the paying the car before you make nickel. Imagine 12 hours having to them. Mears dirty little secret is many drivers simply more when things are slow.. sound familiar uber drivers. I've been the car for 8 hours and was losing money before a lotto fare. I was fortunate to never have losing day but many drivers have. I have put in 12 hours to make 60 bucks in a taxi but if you are going to do this full time you'll kill your car doing it for uber. Half days don't happen in a taxi and that is where uber fills a gap. I find I make about same per hour here in Naples as I would in a cab and I can it on my schedule. Which is very part time thankfully . But not sure if I could in orlando but I'm sure I would get more pings.

Demon

Your entitlement is disgusting.

Mars Troll Number 4

Well i happen to be a SOB and a manipulator of the numbers.

Additionally... the 21:00 and 22:00 pm shifts are stupid stupid stupid cheap compared to every other way to get a car. Another thing when i qoute numbers i specifically LEAVE OUT gas and tolls.

1. because on a comparison of Uber/Mears I can and it's not bad math
2. I put gas on a cash back Credit card and collect rewards. Yes it's still deductibe but I don't pay mears for it.
3. I don't consider giving mears money for tolls as giving mears that money, they are paying the toll bill. I know for a fact that Mears is not marking it up.
4. The 21:00 cars are so cheap that of the lease/credit card procresing i literly am only giving Mears 30% or less.
5. I ALWAYS say that my math applies for 9:00 pm (or i should)

A Direct comparison of UBER V Mears.
75% of the uber fare (minus gas minus tolls, minus wear and tear on your car)

$73 flat per night... my average in revenue for the year being $250... what % does that really come to? 29%

Remember I am a troll and my math while being technically correct *May* be misleading.

The 9 pm shift is the shift to do because the rates are so low.