Ordinance to fingerprint drivers has passed

BurgerTiime

https://www.illinoispolicy.org/the-...of-rideshare-drivers-and-limit-surge-pricing/

THE END OF UBER IN CHICAGO? ORDINANCE WOULD REQUIRE FINGERPRINTING OF RIDESHARE DRIVERS AND LIMIT SURGE PRICING

The ordinance was pushed through committee by taxi industry ally Alderman Anthony Beale, 9th Ward.

A proposed crackdown on ridesharing passed out of a Chicago City Council committee Aug. 30, according to the Chicago Sun-Times. The ordinance would seek to cut back on “surge pricing” a practice by ridesharing services, such as Uber and Lyft, in which fares go up when demand rises. The proposal would also require drivers to be fingerprinted and photographed.

Alderman Anthony Beale, 9th Ward, longtime ridesharing opponent and chairman of the Committee on Transportation and Public Way, pushed the ordinance through committee, according to the Sun-Times. The move came despite the fact a surge-pricing study previously commissioned by the Transportation Committee has not yet concluded.

This is not the first time Beale has gone after ridesharing. In June 2016, Beale and other aldermen proposed a slew of similar regulations, which included city-overseen fingerprinting of drivers and vehicle checks and mandating that drivers obtain chauffeur’s licenses. Uber and Lyft protested the regulations and warned that if implemented, the rules would cause the ridesharing giants to leave Chicago.

In the end, after outcry from drivers and the public, the Chicago City Council passed a watered-down ordinance that required drivers to obtain special chauffeur’s licenses and post signs informing riders they can relay complaints to 311, and prohibited ridesharing drivers from operating cars older than 6 years, unless they submit their vehicles for semiannual testing.

However, with this new proposal, Beale has dismissed the possibility that Uber and Lyft might leave the city, even daring Uber and Lyft to “walk away from billions of dollars,” the Sun-Times reported.

Beale cited as a reason for fast-tracking the ordinance an incident in August when Chicago L train and bus service was disrupted and resulted in ridesharing surge pricing, according to the Sun-Times.

The proposed ordinance would cap surge pricing at 150 percent above the average regular fare and require ridesharing drivers to provide photographs, submit to fingerprinting, and pay a processing fee. Uber and Lyft have claimed that such a move couldhave a disproportionate effect on minority drivers, according to the Sun-Times.

Beale has supported various restrictions on ridesharing, including extra taxes, training requirements for drivers, and even an outright, citywide ban. Beale has even joined Alderman Ed Burke, 14th Ward, in attempting to severely restrict self-driving cars, a key project of Uber and other ridesharing companies.

But Beale’s hostility to ridesharing may have something to do with his friendly relationship with the taxi industry. Beale has receivedthousands of dollars in campaign donations from pro-taxi groups such as the Illinois Transportation Trade Association Political Action Committee.

And with ridesharing services impinging on the business of traditional taxi companies, Beale’s proposed crackdown should not surprise anyone.

veblenrules

Fingerprinting is just common sense. Too many folks are throwing tantrums over this. If you don't believe in public safety go back to your couch in the basement.

Last edited:

Syed raza

I know someone inside that he told me that it will be passed due to what is happening in city with Uber drivers and pax

Syed raza

Whats happening with uber and lyft drivers?
Some drivers have fake identify and some have criminal record so they just want drivers to have clean record with no arrest or criminal activity. Don't know the whole situation but I know it will be passed by October. Uber might raise rates and surge will be hard to see.

UberBeemer

The finger printing is not a horrible idea. People have complained for a long time that the background checking was lackluster. The surge cap, I don't understand the restriction on capitalism, though those crazy 8x surges that cost people a grand to take a $125 ride is certainly unfair and more than a little predatory. Still, the alderman's tun could probably be changed if uber started throwing money at him. Every alderman I've ever met (that's about 9 of them in my life) are in this for the power and residuals. They are @@@@@s.

xcnco

Lol fingerprinting would thin the herd out. Which would be good for all of us. Uber better raise the rates then or good luck for finding drivers who want to deal with b.s. rates at a capped 1.5 surge. Rofl that's not even taxi rates still.

That's a complete joke. Your inviting a shortage of drivers if there was an emergency.

80sDude

Some drivers have fake identify and some have criminal record so they just want drivers to have clean record with no arrest or criminal activity

GET RID OF ALL THE MOTHEREFFER'S. I see ALOT of shady character's picking people up. YES I AM PROFILING.. Get OVER IT.

pizza guy

This week's meeting was illegal due to a violation of the state's open meetings law. Basically that just means a delay of an extra month before it can pass.

People need to remember that fingerprinting is not near the science most people think it is. It is a technique developed by J. Edgar Hoover and is notoriously unreliable. Although it is incredibly useful to identify suspects it rarely stands up to reasonable doubt in court.

What happens when somebody is falsely flagged? The FBI opposes the use of their data base for these purposes because of the likelihood of false positives. Maybe Brake short be hitting up the trial attornies and not just the cabbies because this has the makings of another huge payout.

Finally who will legitimately be eliminated from driving? Any individual who passes current background checks but legitimately fails a finger print check is probably committing multiple crimes to do so.

In other employment situations how many people are denied employment after passing other background checks but failing the fingerprint check? Do the costs justify that number?

Does the FBI check international records? A high portion of taxi drivers are recent immigrants whose previous crimes would be overseas.

Sorry for the long post but I wrote a lot of letters 15 months ago when this ordinance was originally under consideration like to believe2 t made a difference.

UberBeemer

This week's meeting was illegal due to a violation of the state's open meetings law. Basically that just means a delay of an extra month before it can pass.

People need to remember that fingerprinting is not near the science most people think it is. It is a technique developed by J. Edgar Hoover and is notoriously unreliable. Although it is incredibly useful to identify suspects it rarely stands up to reasonable doubt in court.

What happens when somebody is falsely flagged? The FBI opposes the use of their data base for these purposes because of the likelihood of false positives. Maybe Brake short be hitting up the trial attornies and not just the cabbies because this has the makings of another huge payout.

Finally who will legitimately be eliminated from driving? Any individual who passes current background checks but legitimately fails a finger print check is probably committing multiple crimes to do so.

In other employment situations how many people are denied employment after passing other background checks but failing the fingerprint check? Do the costs justify that number?

Does the FBI check international records? A high portion of taxi drivers are recent immigrants whose previous crimes would be overseas.

Sorry for the long post but I wrote a lot of letters 15 months ago when this ordinance was originally under consideration like to believe2 t made a difference.
I think the finger printing is going to comb out some drivers. I think it is more of a way to reassure passengers. I am a clean cut, presentable individual, with a pretty nice car, but people still worry when they're calling an uber for their drunk female friend, or their daughter is using uber for the first time. It's not a big deal. I hand them a business card so they can call me if they like and they seem reassured. I had a member of a local facebook group ask me about how he could screen drivers because his 15 year old daughter was going to be using uber to get to work after school. I say, if people feel we're reliable and law abiding, they'll have an easier time respecting us and our cars.

SuperStar3000

because his 15 year old daughter was going to be using uber to get to work after school.

Is there something about Uber's rules that you don't yet understand? - I'll give you one hint: NO UNACCOMPANIED MINORS

You also state that: "It's not a big deal". - Is that what you will tell Uber when they investigate the false allegations made against you??

Last edited:

Cpw

I don't care about the fingerprinting. But stopping surge pricing is bs. Here is a pic from today's sun times. Every industry is allowed to work off supply and demand. Are they going to crack down on ticket brokers, gas stations,and the list goes on. Maybe they should offer two prices to the pax. One that's for the next available car and the 2nd cheaper option is for a car whenever it gets there like the cabs do. IMG_20170902_155509.jpg

Ride share companies need to just raise there rates in Chicago to the same as the cab rate. And then offer discounts depending on demand.

UberBeemer

First, I don't take unaccompanied minors, if I know they are minors or it's readily apparent. What I said was, I answered questions for a dad who was hoping to hire or book a regular uber, so I explained the rules and such. The business card I gave was to a couple who were calling uber for their 40-something SWF who they had been drinking with.
Get it?

Cpw

Once all this stuff passes can we get some standing zones downtown and be allowed to pick up on Michigan Ave and State St.

MrCity

Chicago's mismanagement strikes again. Taxes on everything, parking costs money everywhere, crime everywhere, no budget, and they don't want more than 1.5 on the surge. It was supposed to be during emergences than got trumped up to all time now.