ORD The Pit. Street traffic light. It happened..Finally

SuperStar3000

I see they have five signal lights, suggesting that turns will be allowed?

The light may help avoid that dangerous game of chicken at the intersection, but there has to be a solution for the bottleneck, where all lanes must finally merge into one as they exit, and then observe that pointless stop sign at the bottom of the ramp.

The smooth flow of Balmoral is more important than the TNP lot, so the lights will be timed so that only about ten cars at a time will be able to make it through the light before the signal changes.

Ankido

Sounds promising but still another disaster in the pit. We are back to uber x petty rides at ORD with no surges. If traffic flows then you can kiss the surge goodbye. Come to think of it, I want chaos and traffic. More demanding rides.

ChitownCraig

They had two cops directing traffic at the intersection around 130 today and making everyone go right out of the pit instead of straight. It made traffic a nightmare turning onto Bessie Coleman and then onto I-190w.

SatMan

There will still be the idiots blocking the intersection coming from N/S bound Mannheim Road even with a sign...
Post automatically merged:

1556117677893.png

Paladin220

I find it kind of funny - Most times I am all for less government regulation and more freedom, but I was at the pit last week for the first time in like 6 months and realized that the complete chaos there may be indicative of what an unregulated society might become. Everyone out for themselves with no regard for your fellow man - I guess some regulation is necessary to keep society civil.

ChrisFZ

2 lanes out would help the pit situation. Rematch helps more, less cars in and out.
There is room already for two cars to approach the exit stop sign and proceed forward together....and magically two lanes on the other side to drive on!
Sometimes I wonder if someone just painted a striped white line at the pit exit to mark two lanes....would drivers figure it out then.

Effectively already cutting in HALF the wait time to exit...FOR FREE.
0.01% of drivers know this

Last edited:

Ankido

Light will fix nothing. The issue is inside. Driving inside, the drivers coming north bound have no respect for the stop sign. They think they can turn right just because the entrance is close and they can. That causes a bottleneck. The drivers coming east bound from mannheim south feel it's ok to stop in the middle of the road or create a second lane when the left lane is a turn lane. 80% of pit drivers are idiots.

bpm45

I find it kind of funny - Most times I am all for less government regulation and more freedom, but I was at the pit last week for the first time in like 6 months and realized that the complete chaos there may be indicative of what an unregulated society might become. Everyone out for themselves with no regard for your fellow man - I guess some regulation is necessary to keep society civil.
roads and stripes on them are regulation. It's not too much regulation or a lack thereof, it's a capacity issue. Also, it's business issue that Uber has decided that cars have to go to the lot to get in the queue.

Maybe, if drivers could check into the queue after dropping off, or merely check in from anywhere that would help quite a lot. Imagine checking in from a few miles away, getting a sandwich or soda while you wait. Of course, once you're in the queue, you couldn't take another ride until you exit the queue. Uber knows where you are and how long it would take you to get to the airport for a pickup and could tell you to start moving. They could then tell you to go to the lot if you have to wait a little longer and it'd allow them to keep the number of cars in the lot quite low making it a very temporary staging queue. In this way, going into the lot without being in queue, say driving in and then going online, wouldn't be allowed. You'd actually have to exit the lot to go into the queue, go someplace else, and couldn't go in without being told to go in.

it could be done with software, but then they're pretty crappy about building good software.

metal_orion

I am a 4 year driver and in my whole time driving uber/lyft on very rare occasions probably two times I waited at the ORD tnp lot, so recently I got a job at O'hare and I've been going to the lot more constantly after I get off from work around 11:00 PM and two days ago a cop pulled me over for making a right turn on Balmoral while exiting the lot which seemed like bs to me, but then I returned back later to see there was a sign there that prohibits right hand turns. As I said I have rarely been there in my whole time driving and never during the day couldn't really spot that sing while getting off the lot. Is it worth fighting that ticket in court?

Ping.Me.More

I am a 4 year driver and in my whole time driving uber/lyft on very rare occasions probably two times I waited at the ORD tnp lot, so recently I got a job at O'hare and I've been going to the lot more constantly after I get off from work around 11:00 PM and two days ago a cop pulled me over for making a right turn on Balmoral while exiting the lot which seemed like bs to me, but then I returned back later to see there was a sign there that prohibits right hand turns. As I said I have rarely been there in my whole time driving and never during the day couldn't really spot that sing while getting off the lot. Is it worth fighting that ticket in court?
Worth a try. Take a photo of it and tell the judge that the sign is positioned such that it's
not readily visible to drivers exiting the lot. Plead not guilty.

1. Sign is very high up, way above eye-level.
2. Sign is not positioned* (*at least last time I looked at it), so that it squarely faces exiting drivers.
Instead, it's tilted a little more toward viewing from westbound Balmoral. Not good sign
placement. You have to look up, and to the right, to see it. (and, IMHO, it ought to be in
larger, more prominent, contrasting lettering)
3. If the cop doesn't show up in court during your hearing, judge will throw out the case.

(I'm not an attorney, but, what have you got to lose? At least there is a little something to
debate, beyond "he said, she said".)

OP-Matt

Presence of Chicago Police near the pit exit is complete garbage (they clearly aren’t helping inside the pit or with traffic flow.) There is little safety reason to prohibit the right turns. So that leaves the $$ reason. But you can’t really use that as a defense. I’d fight it in exactly the way @Ping.Me.More states, and bring a few printed off pictures. Showing the horrible dark sign placement and be prepared to tell your story of how you don’t drive much and didn’t know/couldn’t see there was a sign there.