ORD pax requesting pool rides ?

Ping.Me.More

I got several UberX pings from the pit today, but all of them were pool rides
at the terminals. What? Who does that? What a dumb idea!
What if there isn't enough room for everyones's luggage and carry-ons?

Anyway, I let them all time out, and so Uber then kicked me offline, and gave me the
standard scolding message for not accepting. Just then, I accepted a Lyft ping (no pool)
and the ride went to a far northern suburb.
(I was prepared to leave the lot empty, if Lyft had tried the same crap.)

I absolutely NEVER take any pool ride from the pit, from Uber or Lyft.
The Uber pings started coming steadily while I was still placed at 6-10 in the queue, which leads me
to believe that others were rejecting them also. This is not the first time I've
experienced this, and wondered if anyone else ever got a pool offer when they
were even higher (11-15, 16-20 ) in the queue?

When I get Lyft shared-ride offers in the pit, they're almost always for Terminal 5.
DECLINE! of course.

Pool rides from the airports should not even be an option. I also have delt with this situation...

Can you imagine swerving in and out of the toll road to pick up more pax. While trying to fit everything along the way?

Your doomed if you accept it... no exceptions allowed.

Uber can kick me to back of the queue for it. I just move on and don’t pick anyone up at that point.

ChrisFZ

Huh? Figure out the tricks.

You must be new.

(There was a time Pool didn't exist...or airport rides.)

Are you out there to make money? Your time is valuable? But you waste your own time? If you care about dignity or ego....remind yourself you are a rideshare driver and a pit ant.

Apply yourself and you can get rich.
Working for yourself is probably not for you.

Last edited:

OP-Matt

One time many months ago I was too quick to jump on the accept button and I took a pool out of ORD. I didn’t even realize it was a pool until I got to the pick up. Two passengers who were not traveling together both got in right at the start. Luckily didn’t get anything else until I was downtown, And luckily none of them had very large bags. But one of them did choose the express pool option, and go figure, he didn’t realize he had to walk when I dropped him at the curb and pointed the direction down the road he was supposed to walk.

Regardless of all that on the driver side, why are you choosing pool at the airport? You likely just spent hundreds of dollars on your trip and now all of a sudden you can’t afford a few bucks more for an X? Put these people in the same category that take pools at bar close late on Saturday night.

Moral of the story: don’t do pool. Double moral of the story: don’t do pool at ORD.

OP-Matt

OP, your name says to ping you more, go ahead, take the ping, get the passenger, as soon as you start leaving the airport, hit the DO NOT ACCEPT ANYMORE RIDES, problem solved.
Problem not solved...at least not entirely.
You still run the risk of getting additional pax at the terminal before you even have a chance to get the first one (or have the chance to stop new requests).
And pool pax are still different than X pax. Even if you stop new requests, you still have a pool pax who will demand X service, especially when they choose express pool. Sure, a lot of folk are just regular normal respectful human beings that know the value of a $ and are just trying to save a few. But you will still get pool pax that would be better served by the bus.

Ping.Me.More

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
OP, your name says to ping you more, go ahead, take the ping, get the passenger, as soon as you start leaving the airport, hit the DO NOT ACCEPT ANYMORE RIDES, problem solved.
I've done that on non-airport pools in the past, but even that's not always foolproof . . . I occasionally got a stacked pool rider#2 ping, within 10 seconds after I accept the first one. . . . it almost seemed like they already had multiple riders lined up when they offered me the first ping.

Now, the only time I might rarely ever take pool is when I'm in a consecutive ride bonus situation, but, it must be in non-rush hour times in an area with low-odds of getting a second rider. Otherwise, screw the consecutive ride bonus . . . it's not worth it . . . I would decline. (I get trip duration heads-ups, in advance, so that also helps with the decision).

RogerRabbit

Few Times I got same.. This is what I did.... Go there , wait passenger.. Usually 2 min is go fast, Most of passenger show up with more than one bags.. then I canceled and explained them can not take all of the space.. you can only carry small and one bag..
and go back to pit or just leave the airport.

Pennypate

I have driven in Omaha for 2 1/2yrs and have never done a pool ride. I also have never waited gor rides at the wait area by the airport...waste if time. Most of the time they are going downtown which is a $4 ride so I'm not waiting 20 min or longer for $4. It seems like the drivers are waiting for that one "golden" ride...they need to learn to work smart and not hard. I'm not out here everyday trying to make a killing because tnings have changed and it's not going to happen. I work from 10AM to 2:30PM 7 days a week. My goal is $50 per day x 7 days for at least 28 days a month...not bad money gor NO RUSH HOUR TRAFFIC, NO INTERSTATE (my choice) and NO NIGHTS...EVER...? my car ..my rules...OH and NO one sits in the front?

UberBeemer

Pools suck. But more so in the city. If i stop additional requests, i essentially upgrade the rider to X for free. When i take these, i hope for additional pings. I would rather extend the trip with more passengers, and get more for it overall than i would after turning off new requests. Yes, i know. It might only be a couple of dollars more. But two in the hand, and all that, is still a couple more than i would have otherwise. And you never know when the next ride might show up.

quesie

Anyway, I let them all time out, and so Uber then kicked me offline, and gave me the
standard scolding message for not accepting. Just then, I accepted a Lyft ping (no pool)

The Uber pings started coming steadily while I was still placed at 6-10 in the queue, which leads me
to believe that others were rejecting them also. This is not the first time I've

When I get Lyft shared-ride offers in the pit, they're almost always for Terminal 5.
DECLINE! of course.
Not sure if you understand this, but the requests you were getting were POOL not Uber. The app doesn't allow you to go lower than Uber/Pool, but a ride is either or, not both.
Post automatically merged:

Huh? Figure out the tricks.

You must be new.

(There was a time Pool didn't exist...or airport rides.)

Are you out there to make money? Your time is valuable? But you waste your own time? If you care about dignity or ego....remind yourself you are a rideshare driver and a pit ant.

Apply yourself and you can get rich.
Working for yourself is probably not for you.
No one gets rich sitting in the pit. Wise up, the pit is a trap. All you guys sitting thete waiting for the Big One. Well guess what? You can do 3 trips in the time you waste in the pit plus if the airport is that busy, you'll get loaded from River and Balmoral or Mannheim just as easily (or more so) than wasting your life in the pit.

The ONLY time pool is worth it is on surge where you get an extra bump for each additional passenger, otherwise turn it down.

Last edited:

Ankido

Pools should not be at the airport. Airport transportation is a premium. No pools means more rides for everyone else. You make more money doing airport runs than in the city. The downside of the pit are the miles you put in. 100% of the time if I'm out in the city, I'm making more money than putting miles on my car. Vice versa at the pit. We should make over $30 doing airport runs. I remember almost 2 years ago at the pit I would wait 15 to 20 mins for a ride only to make $14 to $16 an hour. Technically, that's like making minimum wage. Pools are good for extra points and bonuses. Last week I drove from ORD to Milwaukee 88 miles for $85 plus $40 cash tip. $125 for 176 miles. I got nothing returning back. Remember, pit runs you do double miles. If you make more money than you spend miles and compensate for your gas you had a good day.

Ripperman

Once I picked up a pool at term. 2 A rider got added at term. 5. The dropoff for the rider at term. 5 made the trip go down Irving Park Rd. term2 rider was going to South Loop. Took term 2 riders almost 2 hours to be dropped off.

tonton

DECLINE! of course.
I had same issues; when was 5-10 three pools. I never do pool at all. I canceled and finally got normal Uber x ping .

northsider87

When I’ve accepted pools in downtown, I always change the seats requested from 2 seats to 1 seat. They won’t ping you for a 3rd ride if you have 3 passengers in your car. But if you hit 1 seat when there’s 2, Uber will send you another ride for that same pool.

You could have 4 people in your car. Depending on your vehicle, it may or may not be a good idea to maximize it.

The riders might be confused but they know if they are 2 passengers for one pool request that they make, the chances of getting 4 people goes down. One of them might rate you poorly.

Why do this? To show them that this kind of thing would happen with Uber pool and it may curb their behavior of ordering a pool instead of an X

I also avoid highways or LSD when I accept pools (if I can). They rarely add on another rider if I’m on a highway. Pax knows that if I get on a highway with a pool ride, they are probably not going to get another rider added.