• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Opinion by who?

Noonespecial

Any driver with a brain wants to be an independent contractor. In fact, Uber's biggest problem is they already treat us too much like employees, because of deactivation warnings over cancellations and controlling the cost of a fare. If you think set schedules and W2s and the loss of working for multiple companies and the loss of the mileage deduction are good, then you are not smart at all.

What we need is a lawsuit DEMANDING to be true independent contractors.

uberfoulup

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Any driver with a brain wants to be an independent contractor. In fact, Uber's biggest problem is they already treat us too much like employees, because of deactivation warnings over cancellations and controlling the cost of a fare. If you think set schedules and W2s and the loss of working for multiple companies and the loss of the mileage deduction are good, then you are not smart at all.

What we need is a lawsuit DEMANDING to be true independent contractors.
I agree with you. I would rather be a totally independant contractor and have a say in the pay scale. I just think it's unprofessional of USA Today to put this article in the opinion section when it is real news. The author is uber's chief legal officer. He seems to be stating a shift in uber policy, by giving drivers a say in the pay rate. I'm tired of uber's take it or leave it attitude towards pay and the way they try to make it up with bullshit benefits.

wilsonz83

Well independent contractor could be terminated by any reason so technically U/L is not violating the contract. The only thing they did wrong is giving drivers warnings about cancellations and other things. They should just terminate like Amazon flex then wouldn't leave so many criticism.

uberfoulup

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
A guaranteed minimum earnings standard (including expenses) substantially above local minimum wage. This is a floor, not a ceiling, so drivers can always earn more.
►Driver access to benefits like paid sick leave and protection if injured on the job.
►Protection against discrimination and harassment.
►For the first time, sectoral bargaining, giving drivers the right to organize and bargain over decisions impacting their livelihoods.
Importantly, these changes would allow drivers to retain the control and flexibility they currently enjoy without forcing them into employment status — and drivers tell us through focus groups and surveys they don’t want to be employees.