• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Operating cost of your vehicle

dragnet

Seeing that this is an issue that keeps coming up, I did a quick and dirty spreadsheet to calculate basic operating costs. This one is for my 2015 Prius C. If anyone is interested, post your numbers and I'll plug them into the sheet and post it for you. Alternatively, I can send you this sheet and you can plug in your own numbers (just note, this isn't Excel. I use Apple Numbers.)

Screen Shot 2019-05-12 at 10.58.13 AM.png

Post automatically merged:

And, once again, this is why your operating costs are the most important number you need to know... (So, no, you're NOT being paid less than it costs to operate your vehicle.)

Screen Shot 2019-05-12 at 10.20.13 AM.png

Last edited:

Jay Dean

Make sure you add costs for every part of a car charged by a shop, struts alone are well over 700, include every part in your spreadsheet for true costs.

From a door actuator to a dog bone that holds an Engine 1 of three not including the engine mounts. Every single part that depreciates with every ride of true costs at a shop.
Would love to add this spreadsheet with this thread, and eventually break it down to EVERY true cost of every part you ware out when you drive.

Last edited:

Declineathon

Seeing that this is an issue that keeps coming up, I did a quick and dirty spreadsheet to calculate basic operating costs. This one is for my 2015 Prius C. If anyone is interested, post your numbers and I'll plug them into the sheet and post it for you. Alternatively, I can send you this sheet and you can plug in your own numbers (just note, this isn't Excel. I use Apple Numbers.)

View attachment 319780

And, once again, this is why your operating costs are the most important number you need to know... (So, no, you're NOT being paid less than it costs to operate your vehicle.)

View attachment 319762
How can i obtain this sharp looking display?

dragnet

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Make sure you add costs for every part of a car charged by a shop, struts alone are well over 700, include every part in your spreadsheet for true costs.

From a door actuator to a dog bone that holds an Engine 1 of three not including the engine mounts. Every single part that depreciates with every ride of true costs at a shop.
Would love to add this spreadsheet with this thread, and eventually break it down to EVERY true cost of every part you ware out when you drive.
Repair costs work out to $0.019/mile. So, over the lifetime of the car (200k miles) that works out to $3800 over 4 years.

How can i obtain this sharp looking display?
Are you using a Mac?

Jay Dean

Repair costs work out to $0.019/mile. So, over the lifetime of the car (200k miles) that works out to $3800 over 4 years.

Are you using a Mac?
How does repair costs work out to 19 cents a mile for every car part and labor?

Have you quoted what a shop charges for each part to replace to get this figure?

Last edited:

Jay Dean

Are you going to replace every single part on your car during it's useful lifetime?
It is the true costs, isn’t that what we are talking about here? Just because you dispose of a car when it’s ratty doesn’t mean you didn’t lose out.

And the car wouldn’t be in the situation it is in if it wasn’t used commercially.

If you buy a car used for Uber and operate it at Uber like your suggesting did you come up with 19 cents a mile for commercial use? Or you just assuming people would trash their car when it becomes a burden so every true costs gets tucked under the rug, or junk yard in this perspective

dragnet

Here's a repair website that calculates the repair costs for a Prius at $360/year. You can guess that's over the course of a 10 year period for normal driving. So, my estimate of $3800 roughly agrees with that figure.

And take note, it's NOT 19 cents per mile. It's 1.9 cents per mile over the lifetime of the car.

Jay Dean

Here's a repair website that calculates the repair costs for a Prius at $360/year. You can guess that's over the course of a 10 year period for normal driving. So, my estimate of $3800 roughly agrees with that figure.

And take note, it's NOT 19 cents per mile. It's 1.9 cents per mile over the lifetime of the car.
Good lord I thought you were talking 19 cents! Still didn’t add up ,1.9,are you insane?!?!

Unreal

dragnet

If you buy a car used for Uber and operate it at Uber like your suggesting did you come up with 19 cents a mile for commercial use? Or you just assuming people would trash their car when it becomes a burden so every true costs gets tucked under the rug, or junk yard in this perspective
If you buy a used car for Uber, you can pretty much expect that within 4-5 years the vehicle will have little or no value.

Good lord I thought you were talking 19 cents! Still didn’t add up ,1.9,are you insane?!?!
Don't guess at number based on what you think they should be. You have to actually do the calculations.

I just noticed the link I just added for a calculation of repair costs is actually for repairs and maintenance. My numbers are more than double what this repair site is estimating.

Think about the numbers:

200,000 useful miles of driving.
$7200 of repairs and maintenance over 4 years.
$7200 divided by 200,000 = 3.8 cents per mile.
Split evenly between repairs and maintenance it's 1.9 cents per mile each.

Last edited:

Jay Dean

It costs 5k just to get a transmission repaired lol, timing belt is 1k, power steering 1k, struts 700, any electrical issue min 400 I could go on and on what ‘could go on’ and only takes minutes to pass your 4 year pipe dream of costs

dragnet

It costs 5k just to get a transmission repaired lol, timing belt is 1k, power steering 1k, struts 700, any electrical issue min 400 I could go on and on what ‘could go on’ and only takes minutes to pass your 4 year pipe dream of costs
Sure, if you start with a vehicle that has 100k you're going to run into a lot of that. But then you're also going to start with a vehicle that costs less to buy.

My situation is starting with a Prius C with 18,000 miles and then running the numbers out from there.

Here's a different scenario. Buy a 2005 Corolla for $1200. Bump your monthly maintenance and repair costs to $400/month. This is what you get:

Screen Shot 2019-05-12 at 3.55.30 PM.png

I'd suggest that you're much better off buying a used vehicle with very low mileage. Most of the first half of the life of the car should be relatively low maintenance. If you take good care of it, you can usually get pretty far along with low costs.

Here again, I'd suggest you're not running the numbers. There are lots of websites out there where you can get a good estimate of maintenance and repair costs for any vehicle made. Look at those numbers.

Here you're just listing off repairs as if every one of these things WILL break on your car. In reality only one or two might occur, except for cars that have low reliability ratings.

Last edited:

Uber1111uber

I think the chart is pretty accurate but a lot of people use crap cars to start. You pretty much need a corolla or a Prius to have the most upside. I used to drive a corolla for uber. With ur chart its about $.29 a mile to operate but the problem is here we only get $.60/mile so if u profit $.31/ mile and drive with pax 20 miles in every hour and it takes about 40 mins it means your making (.$31*20) $6.20 + (40 mins* $.12/min) $4.80 so $10/hr. Which sucks and that's y I quit after flat surge

OldBay

If you can do basic mechanic work, repair cost of most cars within first 100K miles is about $1,000 or less. Nothing major breaks within first 100K. What you will have to do:

*Timing belt/water pump - $100 in parts
*Maybe the shocks/struts - $300
*Transmission flush/filter - $50-200 (depending on frequency)
*Differential flush - $100
*Coolant flush -$20
*Air filter - $25
*Brake pads/rotors (one set rotors, two sets pads) - $150

Everything else is just oil changes, fluid checks, and tires.

Between 100-150K you may have some additional repairs:

* Alternator - $100-150
* Starter - $100
* Brake master cylinder - $75
* Brake pads/rotors - $100
* Maybe radiator/hoses - $100
* CV joints - $200-300

Between 150K-250K is where you might need to do major repairs of trany and engine.

Youtube shows how to do all the work.

Last edited:

Lawlet91

So following your quick and dirty numbers (which seem to err on the lower conservative side of costs) your adjusted loaded mile cost is $.38 per mile. Considering the vast majority of markets will have 1 mile loaded to 1 mile unloaded, thus you eat the mileage cost into your loaded revenue.

In a market like Orlando with rates at $.53 a mile means your operative profit per mile would be $.15 per mile AT THE BEST OF CASES.

dragnet

I think the chart is pretty accurate but a lot of people use crap cars to start. You pretty much need a corolla or a Prius to have the most upside. I used to drive a corolla for uber. With ur chart its about $.29 a mile to operate but the problem is here we only get $.60/mile so if u profit $.31/ mile and drive with pax 20 miles in every hour and it takes about 40 mins it means your making (.$31*20) $6.20 + (40 mins* $.12/min) $4.80 so $10/hr. Which sucks and that's y I quit after flat surge
I think if you average out your rides over a week or month, you'll find you're pulling in closer to $1.20/mile, if you're in a major market like SF or LA.

Yomann

I drive a car I enjoy driving - and will take it's higher operating costs.
Every mile & minute is more comfortable for me.
Here's what a pax wrote in comments:
"Liked riding in the AWD MazdaCX5, when most drivers have Priuses"
That's all the validation I need 😀

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Yawnie Sydney 3
JR. Driver New Jersey 10
Rex8976 Miami 9