• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Open containers

Benjamin M

It's only happened to me a few times, the first time the pax asked me if it was okay and I said no. They were cool with that. Had a guy tonight that looked like he could be an issue (he turned out to be cool) and I let it slide, against my better judgment.

How do you handle pax with alcohol in your car? Do you care or have zero tolerance? At least in my state, if something goes wrong, it could be a huge liability.

itendstonight

It's only happened to me a few times, the first time the pax asked me if it was okay and I said no. They were cool with that. Had a guy tonight that looked like he could be an issue (he turned out to be cool) and I let it slide, against my better judgment.

How do you handle pax with alcohol in your car? Do you care or have zero tolerance? At least in my state, if something goes wrong, it could be a huge liability.
I don’t let in containers that don’t close (solo cups or opened beer cans). I just say we would all get in trouble but happy to wait for them to chug it. That diffuses the situation. If they have it in a bottle that is inconspicuous (like rum in coke bottle or vodka in water bottle), I just let it go and just ask them to please not spill. If they have alcohol in an obvious container but it can close (beer/wine/vodka bottles with top), I ask them to put it in the trunk. Telling them I don’t want any trouble with police, for myself and them, I have never had a problem. They seem thankful I’m looking out for them. I have a sturdy laundry bag with a huge trash can covering it. So even if the alcohol spills, the giant trash bag will catch it and it won’t spill all over my trunk.

Benjamin M

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don’t let in containers that don’t close (solo cups or opened beer cans). I just say we would all get in trouble but happy to wait for them to chug it. That diffuses the situation. If they have it in a bottle that is inconspicuous (like rum in coke bottle or vodka in water bottle), I just let it go and just ask them to please not spill. If they have alcohol in an obvious container but it can close, I ask them to put it in the trunk. Telling them I don’t want any trouble with police, for myself and them, I have never had a problem. They seem thankful I’m looking out for them. I have a sturdy laundry bag with a huge trash can covering it. So even if the alcohol spills, the giant trash bag will catch it and it won’t spill all over my trunk.
Excellent answer, thanks! Some great suggestions that I hadn't considered. :smiles:

itendstonight

Excellent answer, thanks! Some great suggestions that I hadn't considered. :smiles:
I drove a ton in a college town. Alcohol at night is a huge issue. I learned to deal with it ASAP, cus it wasn’t going to go away. You just can’t be confrontational or you’ll be downrated to oblivion. I say it with a smile and friendly tone. Seems to disarm even the drunkest of people. Spec when you tell them it’s all about avoiding trouble with the police. Everyone going out and drinking wants to avoid the blue lights.

TheDevilisaParttimer

Zero tolerance

mi4johns

Happens all the time here in Vegas since walking around the Strip with an open container is legal, but still very much illegal in a vehicle. Have to give the speech 1-2 times every night & some are fine with it, some want to argue.

I don't care either way, zero open containers are making it into my vehicle - I won't even unlock the doors until all drinks are disposed of. And depending on my mood, I have no problem driving right past the 4 plastered brosephs with drinks in-hand because sometimes it's just not worth the hassle.

itendstonight

Tell them they are breaking the law and asking you to break the law and cancel the ride immediately. No ride, no rating.
When you drive in a college town full of beautiful young women, you become way more lenient. I found a way to disarm them, get them on my side and enjoy a ride full of beautiful bunnies. Music also helps. Sucks when it is a bunch of horny drunk bros though ...

itendstonight

I drive in a college town with the hottest women in the country. I love telling them to get the @@@@ out of my car when they dare try to get me an open container ticket.

No means no, bro
Lmao I drove in a college town a few hours from DC that was rated top sexiest college women of America. I just smile, explain in a friendly tone and the girls are always receptive. Chug or hide the drinks. The ride is fun, music blasting, and a good time all around. Get paid to hang with gorgoeus babes. Totally worth it! Dated a few girls I drove 😬 attitude man! Respect the way you drive. But I love being personable and making a trip worthwhile.

nonononodrivethru

Lmao I drove in a college town a few hours from DC that was rated top sexiest college women of America. I just smile, explain in a friendly tone and the girls are always receptive. Chug or hide the drinks. The ride is fun, music blasting, and a good time all around. Get paid to hang with gorgoeus babes. Totally worth it! Dated a few girls I drove 😬 attitude man! Respect the way you drive. But I love being personable and making a trip worthwhile.
4.95 driver. I'm not a slave to the cookie
Post automatically merged:

As my moniker attests, they also get no drive thru.

Seamus

Usually it’s an open beer can or a plastic cup with a drink in it. I don’t let it in my car. If they have unopened beer I make sure they know they can’t open it. I’m nice about it but firm. One time it slipped by me and I noticed a guy was drinking a beer but the ride was almost over so I didn’t bother saying anything. It may have happened more than once that I didn’t know about.

beebob

When ur the working poor with no assets “liability” means little.
Lawyers don’t bother filing suit against the penniless.

Christinebitg

For me, it varies, depending on my reading of the passengers. I'd love to say that I have zero tolerance, but that's not what the words are that come out of my mouth.

If I think theyre not going to be a problem, I say "If we get pulled over, I don't know anything about it."

CDP

3 college nasty girls walked up to my car with 3 open espressos shots in little plastic espresso glasses, open. I told them no. They said; "you got here earlier than I though you would..." that is their mentality. They think were their servants.

I explained rideshare, told them whats up, traded 1 stars. F em.

College kids and those with more melatonin tend to rate me 1 star almost every time.

nonononodrivethru

3 college nasty girls walked up to my car with 3 open espressos shots in little plastic espresso glasses, open. I told them no. They said; "you got here earlier than I though you would..." that is their mentality. They think were their servants.

I explained rideshare, told them whats up, traded 1 stars. F em.

College kids and those with more melatonin tend to rate me 1 star almost every time.
Cancelled rides are not rated.

MadTownUberD

The Trendy Transporter
Blatant violations like open beer cans and beer bottles I will say "dump or chug" too. Less obvious violations like coffee cups with lids I will let slide, because I may have plausible deniability. Or sometimes I will ask them what's in it, and if they say coffee or water I'll say "ok" and let them bring it in.

One time I had a 30 something woman bring in a little kid sippy cup which obviously had booze in it. I just looked the other way for the trip. She was pretty obnoxious too, but fun. I was going to 3* her or something until she handed me a $20 bill.