Open bottles of alcohol in car?

Ahzz

Hi there, I'm on my phone so can't figure out how the search option works but need to know asap, if I get pulled over for an RBT and the passenger has an open beer bottle am I screwed?

I've had a few riders jump in with beers recently and I have no idea what to do. I've been in cabs as a passenger with open bottles but not sure if that's illegal.

Please help.

Grand

I_Like_Spam

Even if open carry of alcohol by ride share passengers is permitted in your location, its your car and people who are drinking sometimes spill their beverages.

You don't have to let them drink.

Mizan

@Avenig and @Grand thanks for the links, many things to know!

At least I can tell the pax in those odd situations. I got confident now; that I am not bluffing, telling something that's legal. I hope pax are eduated about those rules as well, when they get into Taxi they knows, but when they get into Uber . . . .

Uber_Syd8

Grand
Don't think any Uber policy takes precedence over a local /state law
I would like to see anyone argue that to a magistrate

There's enough on the links to suggest that refusing to allow riders to bring open bottles is good policy and also ensures there are no issues with spillage
It is arguable that we are a form of public transport.
I don't understand why drivers don't enforce this ban more and taking minors under 7 too
The fear of being rated 1 star makes drivers do stupid things

UberSyd

I have had kids try jump in the car with plastic cups of alcohol and they quickly cram in 4 people in the backseat thinking its all good lol. And the yoing girls trying to convince me. kicked them out.

I noticed to alot of pax come into the car with beer bottles and the attitude that uber drivers are cool and will let them drink in the car. So many inconsiderate pax out there.

Ahzz

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ok so legally they can but it's not a good idea because of spillage???

I'm going to ask a cop the next time I get RBTd.

I had one guy respectfully ask if he could drink and I said yes because I had done it in a cab before. Groups of drunks or cups of alcohol are a definite no for me.

UberSyd

Ok so legally they can but it's not a good idea because of spillage???

I'm going to ask a cop the next time I get RBTd.

I had one guy respectfully ask if he could drink and I said yes because I had done it in a cab before. Groups of drunks or cups of alcohol are a definite no for me.
I aksed a cop in queensland last week and he said that you can't because the car is considered a public place. Not sure if that applies to NSW

kitchensink096

Once had a group of guys in the car. One brought in a bottle of beer without me knowing (as it was dark) and sat behind me. They smelt of alcohol as they were pre drinking beforehand. After I dropped them off at their destination. I drove around and picked up a new pax. The new pax told me someone left a bottle in the back seat. I apologised about it but luckily the pax didn't rate me down since my rating was still the same at the end of the night. I raised this issue with uber and took pics of it all they replied with was an automated response that passengers occasionally leave things in the car that can be cleaned up. Made me mad they couldn't even do a cleanup fee or something for this.