Only income

McMomma

Any drivers in Louisville use this as your only source of income? Trying to figure out if my husband and I could make this work for our family of five... His current job is not that great, 3rd Shift, and he hates it. If we can bring home the same amount of money or maybe even a little more than he's bringing home there, then I think this is going to be what we do. Just looking for some feedback from other people and how well you do in Louisville full-time. Also curious, what do you do for health insurance?

NCUberGuy

Under no circumstances should anyone ever quit a full time job to drive uber, especially someone supporting a family, even more so if by quitting the job you lose your health coverage.

Now, second job to earn some extra cash to support that family of 5, pay off debt....this is perfect for that.

Merc7186

Typically, misguided people ask this question and usually get beat up over it....this is not one of those times.

These above guys are right, this is a way to supplement your income, not to be a main source of it.

Given that you live in Louisville, you live near a big university...there is.plenty of fares out there with college kids. Come up with a routine and tweak it as you go.

My advice would be to have one of you sign up then refer the other to sign up, so you can earn a little extra if you both drive. A clean vehicle is a must....

Pawtism

5thed, there are those who manage to eek out a living full time, but it's perilous at best, and many, many more fail. It would probably be a decent side gig to the job for extra money, but incredibly unlikely to provide support for a family of five.

sirius black

^^x100. There's no way you should quit a full time job to do this. Let's say you wanted to make $500/week. You'd probably need to drive 1000 miles/week to get close to that, and if you're lucky, you can do it in 30-40 hours of driving. If you get 21 MPG, you'd be spending $50 of your $500 on fuel, so now you're down to $450. You need to figure *at least* another $0.05/mile in expenses (or more if you've got a higher mileage vehicle), now you're down to $400 - You'll maybe make it a year before you needed to replace tires. You'll likely need a set of brakes in 9 months. Figure at least 2 car washes/week - You're at $380. That's not even figuring in insurance (not just for your car, but your health insurance as well if it's included in your FT job). Then, all it takes is one or two bad rides, and you're knocked out of the game completely. Yes, you *could* do better $$ wise if you maximize your rides w/ surge trips & get good tips, but that's not guaranteed, and it's certainly not predictable. I'm only 90 miles north of you, and I don't imagine your market is that much different. At least try it Part Time *first* - Get your feet wet, and see what it's all about. Give it a few months. Log your miles/expenses. Compare the hours you spend vs payouts. See what kind of ratings you're getting. If you're really good at it, maybe you could then make the switch.

Last edited:

swingset

Even if you could make enough money to support a family on this gig (and that's HIGHLY, HIGHLY unlikely, even in the best market with the most skill as a driver), it's a HORRENDOUS gamble that you should immediately re-think.

It's a relatively new business model that's almost sure to change and probably for the worse for drivers in the near future. Rideshare should never be used as a permanent means of employment, don't get sucked into a terrible idea and then try to dig yourselves out of it. You'll end up spending absolutely all your time in your car, grinding its value down to nothing, just to approximate a decent job.

Does that sound like something a provider should consider? Nope. No healthcare insurance, no benefits, just hustling your butt off for a small amount of money.

Just don't.

ShinyAndChrome

Gonna go against the grain. Uber press releases say you can make $30-40/hour so I say go for it!!

Kidding. Don't. At the least try it for a month and see how it is. I know exactly what uber pays in my market: enough to buy a [cheap] tv after a week or similar. It isn't a real income. His third shift job may suck but it pays better and includes benefits. Also he can't fired over a trivial matter that may never have even happened and he also won't be out money if his car breaks down (lost wages).

Grand

Aside from the excellent advice above, there is one major issue. You can be deactivated ('lose your job') by Uber/Lyft based just on pax complaints... irrespective of how good a driver you are.
Yes, try it out as a side job but make sure you have got the correct license/insurance etc requirements.

NHDriver

Any drivers in Louisville use this as your only source of income? Trying to figure out if my husband and I could make this work for our family of five... His current job is not that great, 3rd Shift, and he hates it. If we can bring home the same amount of money or maybe even a little more than he's bringing home there, then I think this is going to be what we do. Just looking for some feedback from other people and how well you do in Louisville full-time. Also curious, what do you do for health insurance?
If you want to figure out finances plan for about $10-$12/hr is what you will make gross, before expenses, fuel, oil changes, tires, breaks, etc. Figure you will drive about 1000mi/wk. You will not have any benefits, no paid time off and can be deactivated at any time for no fault of your own and be left without any income. Do that math then figure out what kind of stability your family needs. It's that simple. If he hates his job, find another one and do RideShare on the side as others have repeatedly recommended I wish you the best with your decision.

It was an honest inquiry and deserved an honest answer!

Atom guy

No. A single person with a paid for car and a cheap rent could maybe do Uber as their primary income, but Uber is not enough to support family. As everyone else has said, do it part time to supplement your income. Both of you should sign up.

Here is the key, though: Whoever is Ubering that day needs to leave the house and go where the rides are. It would be way too easy for kid stuff to distract you at home and you just never end up doing any rides if you logged into Uber and sat at home waiting. Set a schedule for it and stick to it.

If the kids are all in school this would be a good side gig to do during the day for some extra cash, especially if you have UberEATS in your area.

MadTownUberD

The Trendy Transporter
McDonalds pays better and has benefits.

Even if you could make enough money to support a family on this gig (and that's HIGHLY, HIGHLY unlikely, even in the best market with the most skill as a driver), it's a HORRENDOUS gamble that you should immediately re-think.

It's a relatively new business model that's almost sure to change and probably for the worse for drivers in the near future. Rideshare should never be used as a permanent means of employment, don't get sucked into a terrible idea and then try to dig yourselves out of it. You'll end up spending absolutely all your time in your car, grinding its value down to nothing, just to approximate a decent job.

Does that sound like something a provider should consider? Nope. No healthcare insurance, no benefits, just hustling your butt off for a small amount of money.

Just don't.

Sometimes being blunt is the best policy. And Swingset hit the nail on the head.

negeorgia

Only with a paid for car that you don't actually need and with a 3-6 month emergency fund in place. Probably not there yet, so Uber part time to pay off small debts to bring some breathing room monthly. If you harm your car though, you will be in even worse shape later. Just like renting a place to the wrong person and they are late and short and damage your stuff. You would have been better off never meeting them.

DCNewbie17

Just don't.

Agreed. And sitting for long periods of time are a health hazard.

Gwoae

If you seriously want to consider this I would drive part time for a month to get his feet wet. Once he is better with maximizing profit then he should take a week off work and drive 50 hours. After that do the math and see where you really are.

If you still want to pursue it then you should go buy a car for 6-9k that you can put 70k miles on in the next 18 months and not destroy your own car. If he still wants to so it after 18 months it will probably be time for a new car.

In my market if I were to do it full time and drove in the better times I could make 30 an hour with tips. After gas it is closet to 26. If you get a 9k car and drive 50 a week for 18 months that car costs $3 hr so now down to 23. Now the unknown is car repairs and parts. You will go through at least 1 set of tires, 2 brakes, 12 oil changes, 120 car washes. Those are the things you know you will use. The unknown is going to be engine, tie rods, axels, trans, air conditioner, and accidents. I would put all of that near $5 hour so realistically I would expect to make $18 an hour and that is if everything goes right and you correctly route yourself and stay busy.

Merc7186

Gonna go against the grain. Uber press releases say you can make $30-40/hour so I say go for it!!

Kidding. Don't. At the least try it for a month and see how it is. I know exactly what uber pays in my market: enough to buy a [cheap] tv after a week or similar. It isn't a real income. His third shift job may suck but it pays better and includes benefits. Also he can't fired over a trivial matter that may never have even happened and he also won't be out money if his car breaks down (lost wages).

...if that TV was purchased at a garage sale, 19 inches and in black and white...then Yeah.