• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

One of those days when I think - I need to get my head examined for doing Uber.

I have a full-time, white-collar job that pays pretty well. On top of that, my employer is so flexible. I can work from home anytime I want, and in truth, doing the job well does not require 40 hours of work a week. This gives me time for some Uber to get extra cash.

But there are days when I wonder how much of a dummy I am for trading my free time for the meager sums Ubering provides in my market. Here is a rundown of one of these days.

My office is close to Boston and I live about 40 miles away to the west. So, when I get off the highway in my city on the way home, I'll turn on Uber. Usually there's a mild surge and I'll knock out 3-4 rides, make $25 or so, and head home. Sometimes I'll use this fresh cash in hand to treat myself to sushi or something.

Anyway. I get my first ping. $2.75 surge. Address is a busy downtown hospital. I know the traffic and entry-egress is going to be a nightmare. I do it anyway.

I pick up my rider, a younger man in scrubs. The vast majority of this hospital's employees live within a mile or two of the place, well within city limits, in my experience. Not this one.

No, he was going 8 miles to the east, along a secondary highway that is absolutely choked with red lights and traffic along the way. ETA from uber app? 27 minutes. I drive him there and collect my $10.97 payment.

There is almost never an acceptable ride coming back from this location. All of them tend to be people going further east -- into more lights, traffic and further away from home. I waste 25 minutes returning to the city, accepting no rides for fear of this risk. In the meantime, I probably miss two more surge rides.

I got over the city line and get a ping. It's nearby. $1.00 surge. I accept and pick up the rider, who is late in coming outside.

She is a walking trash bag of idiocy, substance usage and foul language. Begins yelling "Oh my god I had to wait like two hour to get Ubah! It wuz like $15 and I uzalee pay $8 to go where I'm going."

I checked her passenger rating. It was a 4.1. Somehow I had missed this. Oh well. Here we are.

She was going to a liquor store, two miles away, to the east, on the same busy traffic-light choked road. (Note: there is another liquor store within a five minute walk of her home. Maybe a quarter mile. Four blocks?) I digress.

She put in the liquor store as a stop. She wanted me to wait and then drive her back home.

I told myself I would wait for up to five minutes. I saw many customers come and go in this time. She did not reappear with her purchase. I sent her a text saying that I need to leave, and I did. Ended the ride, drove away.

About 10 minutes later, in came the 1-star rating. Bringing me to 4.93.

Later, I got a message from Uber. "A fare has been adjusted." From $4.01 to zero. Her fare, of course. "You picked up the wrong rider, so this fare has been adjusted." The message helpfully showed a map that displayed a representation of the trip.

I called Uber support and explained. After the representative robotically repeated everything I said back to me, larding her speech with many unnecessary please and thank yous, she put me on hold for a minute, came back and said. OK what was the rider's name. I confirmed it, as did she.

Mrs. 4.1 apparently used "wrong rider picked up" as her preferred lie to get the money back. The Uber rep readjusted the fare and said they'll give me $7.81. Which didn't make sense as I was only entitled to the first leg of the trip, but whatever.

A little later, I checked my balance. The credit was in fact not $7.81, but $5.63.

An utter fail, in every way, from beginning to end, on the part of all parties -- including me.

Those two rides cost me 90 minutes of my life, and paid me $16.

I am going to get my head examined.

Comments

Benjamin M

That added a lot to the discussion. Thanks!
Honestly, I thought the same thing.

Now imagine dealing with this kind of stuff and far worse every single day? That's the definition of insanity. But those days will likely be ending soon.

If there was consistency in the pings and income, I'd happily continue long-term. But it's a total crapshoot.

Honestly, I would have given the second pax a swift kick out of the car the second she started mouthing off. If I'd already started the trip, of just cancel it. A few bucks isn't worth dealing with scum.

Momo drive

I have a full-time, white-collar job that pays pretty well. On top of that, my employer is so flexible. I can work from home anytime I want, and in truth, doing the job well does not require 40 hours of work a week. This gives me time for some Uber to get extra cash.

But there are days when I wonder how much of a dummy I am for trading my free time for the meager sums Ubering provides in my market. Here is a rundown of one of these days.

My office is close to Boston and I live about 40 miles away to the west. So, when I get off the highway in my city on the way home, I'll turn on Uber. Usually there's a mild surge and I'll knock out 3-4 rides, make $25 or so, and head home. Sometimes I'll use this fresh cash in hand to treat myself to sushi or something.

Anyway. I get my first ping. $2.75 surge. Address is a busy downtown hospital. I know the traffic and entry-egress is going to be a nightmare. I do it anyway.

I pick up my rider, a younger man in scrubs. The vast majority of this hospital's employees live within a mile or two of the place, well within city limits, in my experience. Not this one.

No, he was going 8 miles to the east, along a secondary highway that is absolutely choked with red lights and traffic along the way. ETA from uber app? 27 minutes. I drive him there and collect my $10.97 payment.

There is almost never an acceptable ride coming back from this location. All of them tend to be people going further east -- into more lights, traffic and further away from home. I waste 25 minutes returning to the city, accepting no rides for fear of this risk. In the meantime, I probably miss two more surge rides.

I got over the city line and get a ping. It's nearby. $1.00 surge. I accept and pick up the rider, who is late in coming outside.

She is a walking trash bag of idiocy, substance usage and foul language. Begins yelling "Oh my god I had to wait like two hour to get Ubah! It wuz like $15 and I uzalee pay $8 to go where I'm going."

I checked her passenger rating. It was a 4.1. Somehow I had missed this. Oh well. Here we are.

She was going to a liquor store, two miles away, to the east, on the same busy traffic-light choked road. (Note: there is another liquor store within a five minute walk of her home. Maybe a quarter mile. Four blocks?) I digress.

She put in the liquor store as a stop. She wanted me to wait and then drive her back home.

I told myself I would wait for up to five minutes. I saw many customers come and go in this time. She did not reappear with her purchase. I sent her a text saying that I need to leave, and I did. Ended the ride, drove away.

Later, I got a message from Uber. "A fare has been adjusted." From $4.01 to zero. Her fare, of course. "You picked up the wrong rider, so this fare has been adjusted." The message helpfully showed a map that displayed a representation of the trip.

I called Uber support and explained. After the representative robotically repeated everything I said back to me, larding her speech with many unnecessary please and thank yous, she put me on hold for a minute, came back and said. OK what was the rider's name. I confirmed it, as did she.

Mrs. 4.1 apparently used "wrong rider picked up" as her preferred lie to get the money back. The Uber rep readjusted the fare and said they'll give me $7.81. Which didn't make sense as I was only entitled to the first leg of the trip, but whatever.

A little later, I checked my balance. The credit was in fact not $7.81, but $5.63.

An utter fail, in every way, from beginning to end, on the part of all parties -- including me.

Can you tell us another story please?! Your so good at it.

TXUbering

My most recent PITA pax was a woman that had me pick her up from a hobby store with a cart full of crap (felt like I was picking up a pax at a Walmart with a basket full of crap). Then asked me if I would stop at a stinky chicken joint. After I asked her to add it to the destination, which she did, I figured she'd use her cell phone to place the order ahead of time, as it was a place that had online ordering. No, the dope made me wait at least 15 minutes while she waited for her order. The only reason I didn't just abandon her was because of all of her crap that was sitting in my car. U/L need to have an option when downrating a pax for "inconsiderate behavior" and make that a separate qualifier when sending you the ride request. They could list "rating" and a "Inconsiderate factor". Who knows, maybe that would curb the behavior of some of these animals?

7Miles

My Uber drivers are so poor, they are featured in food stamp commercials
- Dara
Post automatically merged:

My Uber drivers are so poor, even their food stamps are bouncing
-Dara
Post automatically merged:

My Uber drivers are so poor, hungry children from Africa send them money.
- Dara

Last edited:

RideshareUSA

Same here. Please forward the name and address of your neurologist. Hopefully, the destination filter will find me a matching ride on the way!

ntcindetroit

Besides the wrong rider claim, didn't one of the riders threaten to beat you up because you picked the rider at a different location than given in the app.?

I thought that day my life will be ending on that Uber lift and I'll be just another statistics in the murder capital of the world.