One of the best days ever!

Yesterday I thought to go home earlier than usual and something inside me insisted to go online. As usual, there was no surge or PPZ which is not a big deal. I had completely forgotten about the app until an hour later I dropped my phone due to a surprise - a ride request.

What can go wrong with a Select ride that comes with a $12 surge? The moment my passenger (with a mask thankfully such that the $12 does not go in the drain) entered my car, he asked "Do you want something from Olive Garden?" Neither did he set Olive Garden as the destination nor a stop. He said that it was only a few blocks from his home. As I thought "NO! NO! No drive through!", he added "This is why I want to buy you something. I want to compensate you for your time". After I had respectfully declined, he took out his wallet ✌. What makes the trip entertaining is the process of placing the order. Whoever the person was on the phone drove the conversation in circles, in the exact manner which you can expect from Uber Support.

Adding the Olive Garden stop has added another ~15 minutes to the trip. However, it definitely worth my time! Surprisingly, another $20 in-app tip (in addition to the $20 cash) showed up this morning. What makes a disappointment is that there was no surge adjustment (sticky surge LOL).

free service.jpg

As I took a picture on the odometer after the ride, I thought - Wait! It is almost time for another 10k mile full service. Furthermore, the ride has positioned me in a location that is half way between my home and the dealer. After spending an afternoon there, here comes the second surprise of the day. What is supposed to be a $170-worth maintenance only costed me ~$50 because of the VIP discount ! The trip I took basically has paid for the maintenance!

woohoo.jpg

Here is my confession... My 2004 Lexus has already aged out but I took the trip 🤫. This is probably the most insane act ever. Anyway, I am so excited that my car is going to hit the 120k milestone! It was also cloudy yesterday which prompted me to walk around to see all these beauties.

beautiful.jpg

Comments

So he got you food and you also got a tip? Olive Garden I would have passed on, but that's just the Italian culinary snob in me...:biggrin:

Also how were you able to keep a 2004 vehicle onto the platform? I thought Select vehicles were very strictly monitored and regulated. I got messages from Uber and Lyft every time a document expired even on X.

• Article Author Article Author
  • Article Author Article Author
So he got you food and you also got a tip? Olive Garden I would have passed on, but that's just the Italian culinary snob in me...:biggrin:

Also how were you able to keep a 2004 vehicle onto the platform? I thought Select vehicles were very strictly monitored and regulated. I got messages from Uber and Lyft every time a document expired even on X.
Olive garden is good enough for me although I prefer cheesecake factory better. I was taught not to accept food from strangers. Perhaps this is just me. In return, he tipped me $20 cash and another $20 through that app.

I believe there are some flaws in the algorithm. Last year when I renewed my vehicle registration, Uber did deactivate the car. However, there were still a few months left before 2020. This is why I went to the hub and people there helped me to reactivate it. What is really interesting is that my 2004 was still on file until April this year. Not sure why there is a lapse before it's removal from the platform. Now, I only have my 2015 on the record. The eligibility rule may have changed since then. My 2015 may not even be eligible if I signed up to drive these days.

I'm glad you didn't have to pay Lexus $170 for an oil change.
The $170 maintenance does not only include oil changes but also tyre rotation, topping off windshield fluids and detailed inspection. I was just lucky to receive the VIP discount yesterday✌.

Olive garden is good enough for me although I prefer cheesecake factory better. I was taught not to accept food from strangers. Perhaps this is just me. In return, he tipped me $20 cash and another $20 through that app.

I believe there are some flaws in the algorithm. Last year when I renewed my vehicle registration, Uber did deactivate the car. However, there were still a few months left before 2020. This is why I went to the hub and people there helped me to reactivate it. What is really interesting is that my 2004 was still on file until April this year. Not sure why there is a lapse before it's removal from the platform. Now, I only have my 2015 on the record. The eligibility rule may have changed since then. My 2015 may not even be eligible if I signed up to drive these days.

The $170 maintenance does not only include oil changes but also tyre rotation, topping off windshield fluids and detailed inspection. I was just lucky to receive the VIP discount yesterday✌.
The only thing I like from Cheesecake Factory is the cheesecake.

but yes, be wary of accepting food from strangers.

Olive Garden and a classy gentleman as you describe seem a bit oxymoronish. But that is a great story.

I'll tell you one of mine, but it is a much much smaller scale than yours. I play a game when driving called try-and-run-an-errand-without-going-offline. In this case I was trying to get to my favorite breakfast burrito place for a morning takeout meal. On the way to the taqueria a request came in. The rule is you instantly break off of your mission to accept the request and zoom to the pickup.

I picked up a gentleman who was on his way to a business he owned. Jokingly I mentioned the burrito mission I had been on (and expected to return to forthwith). Instantly he said "Let's go their. I'm buying".

So we killed 15 minutes of trip time visiting the taqueria and loading up the car with the food. We both waited to eat until we parted company. Ha ha. But along with the extended ride came a nice tip. Nice way to start your day off.

I don't know if Houston has any proper Italian restaurants. Maybe someone here will have a recommendation. ;>

BTW - I've got an Olive Garden story if you want to hear it....

Their Steak Diane is pretty damn good! When I have to go there it is what I eat. There are some other things on the rather large menu that are also good
I haven’t been in ages! But I guess imho it’s nothing worth waiting hours for.

the cheesecake in SF is always super hopping. Not saying it isn’t good. But it’s not wait a couple of hours good. The one time we went with a party of 16... oh 🤦🏻‍♀️

I haven’t been in ages! But I guess imho it’s nothing worth waiting hours for.

the cheesecake in SF is always super hopping. Not saying it isn’t good. But it’s not wait a couple of hours good. The one time we went with a party of 16... oh 🤦🏻‍♀️
LOLLL I do not wait to get into anything. I make a reservation or bribe my way in.

LOLLL I do not wait to get into anything. I make a reservation or bribe my way in.
They don’t take res in cheesecake here :cautious:

I don’t bribe, but I would not be opposed to friendly chatting to get a bit of help. Unfortunately usually it’s a lady up front to my recollection.

Pandora karaoke however... 😁

Beautiful car, but at that price point there are many options.
Post automatically merged:

Come on, you have traveled in Africa, bribery is a way of life!
Oh, I know, they had that in the info guide before we flew in. I just pretended I’m tipping them ahead generously.

but for real. The police are so corrupt there. Even the guide (local) was pissed he had to pay a bribe. He only paid in the end because it was clear we weren’t going anywhere if not, and we had a lot of ground to cover...