1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Once again. What is your tips advice? Please share it here

Discussion in 'Deliver' started by 7Miles, Aug 7, 2017.

1. 7Miles

7Miles Well-Known Member

What is your tips advice that actually WORKS ?
    The one and only time I texted customer to tip me prior delivery had mixed results . Yes, I got a nice $10 tip but he was handicapped in a wheelchair in a hotel asking if I had a change for $10 bill so he can tip me. Since I had no change he just gave it to me . I realize if I text customer prior delivery that I would like to be tipped, I will be tipped more but I don't really wanna do it.
    Do you guys/girls have any suggestions for me ? I would really appreciate it!

2. DirkDeadeye

DirkDeadeye Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I'm around 45% tip rate, something like that. All I honestly do is make sure I don't make wrong turns, I get to their location without calling/texting, unless there's an access gate. Always make sure to read the notes, I had a lady who said she's putting her kids to sleep, TEXT when I'm close, she'll come out and get the order. And I stick with working class neighborhoods.

3. Cody6666

Cody6666 Member

I usually get tips on all my orders. I do Doordash and I think there have only been a hand full of times when I didn't get a tip. Now that they changed the pay system an you can see your tip before your order it has been 100% for tips since then.

4. chamomiami

chamomiami Active Member

isnt a recipe for to have tips from costumer... thats 100% at costumer discretion, even you go the extra mile to make the delivery if they dont want to tip they will not tip, take it or leave it, and been into the service business for a long time im telling you that asking for tips is the lowest you can go, is unprofessional. my personal opinion

5. tohunt4me

tohunt4me Well-Known Member

I agree.
    Up to the Costumer.

Attached Files:

6. DirkDeadeye

DirkDeadeye Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Do your best, hope for the best. I'm hearing about jaded drivers in my area. I wish they'd move on, I already got a couple regulars, and they tip if they see I'm delivering.

7. Prius13

Prius13 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Lyft
    Three DD deliveries last night and four clam$ in tips. Hourly rate of $6.33. In Chicagoland.

8. Mears Troll Number 4

Mears Troll Number 4 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Taxi
    Demographics make the biggest impact on tips, and you can't change the demographics of the area you work.

College town- lousy tips
    Millennials- lousy tips
    the hood- lousy tips
    Drunken Millennials- what tips?
    Tourists- probobly
    Business travelers- possible
    People going to work- maybe, depending on how poor they are
    Millennials going to work- never

In my opinion, demographics of who you are picking up will make a bigger impact on your tips than even how good of a driver you are. What matters is the bottom line. If your busier in the hood and generating more revenue without tips it may still be the smarter place to work, in contrast to sticking to areas with a lot of tourist money, half the number of trips per hour won't be overcome by tips.

9. Jbstevens88

Jbstevens88 Member

Not trying to be raciest or anything, but in 7 months, I have NEVER received a tip from a person from India. When I pick up from an Indian place and the name sounds Indian, I know I am not getting a tip.

In my day job, I work with nothing but Indian people and they said they are just frugal with their money and giving a tip is not seen as a justified expense.

10. Ezridax

Ezridax Member

Driving:
    Lyft
    My neighborhood is a high Indian population. I went into delivering there knowing that it seems to be a cultural difference. I'm okay with that. I could just as easily go to another area to deliver, but the rush from all the businesses nearby balances it out.

11. effortx2

effortx2 Active Member

These gig jobs are all about gig companies and their customers making a big show of not respecting the driver's time. I'm sure there are all kinds of reasons someone will come up with for not tipping but they're all talking about the same thing. They want you to know - with absolute clarity - that they don't respect your time.

12. LoveTheBlues

LoveTheBlues Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I just ordered lunch for a customer meeting from Big Bowl via Uber Eats. It was a 10 minute trip and the driver brought it in the office with no insulated bag and the food was not as warm as it should be. Otherwise, the delivery was fine. Even though he should have used an insulated bag, I wanted to try and tip in app. but could not and still can not find where to add the tip (and I already submitted my thumbs up rating). I'm mentioning this because we might get more tips if it could be found and I may need to explain to customers where to find it so if anyone knows where they hide the tip function on Eats, that would be great!

Also as a tip for Eats drivers, use the insulated bag and don't take the food out of the bag until the customer sees it so they know you used it.

13. DirkDeadeye

DirkDeadeye Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Yeah, the bag stays zipped until they're in front of me. I unzip it and grab it out of the insulated bag, and give it to the customer, every time. I also have an old lunchbag, with a mc donalds uber cup carrier in it, to keep drinks cold(ish?) and also to serve as a means to keep them upright. I also use it for ice cream, since I fill one of the slots with a cold pack. I get "Didn't I order a drink with this?" A lot, till they see me open the other bag.

Marbakka and Ezridax like this.
  14. effortx2

effortx2 Active Member

Irrespective of how it looks (bag or not or whatever the driver seemingly may or may not have done), and irrespective of the tip, if the food is not as warm as it should be, call Uber and get a credit. That's my advice.

15. chamomiami

chamomiami Active Member

the thermal bag will always help.. even with the food smell in the vehicle, but sometime i arrive to p/u and the food have been waiting for long like a pizza the other day the box was actually kind of wet the carton.

Ezridax and LoveTheBlues like this.