On trip vs Total KMs for tax purposes

GUberX

How r u guys estimating total KMs used for uber ( unless u kept records) ?

I picked up 2 random days I drove and went through trip details 1 by 1 to figure out distance traveled in between the trips using drop off address and pickup address for next trip to estimate ( considering the time gap, I added few KMs to compensate the fact that we don't always drive straight to the next pickup after a drop off).

And then calculated the average ratio between On trip and total distance, and used that to estimate the total KMs used for uber.
And planning to use falt rate per km as my total is less than 5000 :smiles:

Feel free to share ur thoughts and techniques.

Attachments

lui6155

For tax purposes esp based on the 5k basis u need a reliable basis of estimation. What I do on an excel spreadsheet and for two cars is:
1) each day that I drive I note the starting and ending km's.
2) I note the private kms if say the next days ending kms does tally to that days starting eg I used the car to travel to golf (and technically should not claim the gst on the private fuel)
3) At the end of the pay period I sum up the sold kms but usually they are approx. half of "on the job" kms which is perfectly Ok as far as the ATO is concerned I would think (as that travel was incurred directly to derive that income)

In summary the ato allows u to use all business related kms travelled, not just those sold.

If I had one car I would simply use a diary log book but the above allows me to monitor my efficiency as per the screenshot below.

Attachments

whocareaboutPAX

Lets say your uber day went like this

Joondalup --> Sorrento
Warwick --> Greenwood
Karrinyup --> South Perth
Applecross --> Mt Lawley
Bayswater --> Fremantle
Coogee --> Rockingham

Then I drove to end the day from Rockingham to joondalup. I wouldbe claiming every single KM in that time.

Potsy

Lets say your uber day went like this

Joondalup --> Sorrento
Warwick --> Greenwood
Karrinyup --> South Perth
Applecross --> Mt Lawley
Bayswater --> Fremantle
Coogee --> Rockingham

Then I drove to end the day from Rockingham to joondalup. I wouldbe claiming every single KM in that time.
Agreed.....your dead miles or miles to get home are work related.

lui6155

Yep its only an issue if u are working on non uber stuff say a nine to five job in the city and wish to cheat the system by claiming u r on the (uber) job by simply turning ur app on. The ato intends to target this area so I have read.

Potsy

Yep its only an issue if u are working on non uber stuff say a nine to five job in the city and wish to cheat the system by claiming u r on the (uber) job by simply turning ur app on. The ato intends to target this area so I have read.
Just how many unpaid hours work are you willing to do logbooks or spreadsheets for the ato?
Its easier just to drive one car solely for uber and then claim the lot. If you use the car for a private trip to the deli to buy a pie and coke then just how are the ato gonna prove it? Too much analysis paralysis worrying about this stuff is unessessary and makes stress for yourself.
I am often guilty of driving too many dead miles during a shift. Those expenses are still claimable even though I'm not the most efficient driver.

lui6155

Just how many unpaid hours work are you willing to do logbooks or spreadsheets for the ato?
Its easier just to drive one car solely for uber and then claim the lot. If you use the car for a private trip to the deli to buy a pie and coke then just how are the ato gonna prove it? Too much analysis paralysis worrying about this stuff is unessessary and makes stress for yourself.
I am often guilty of driving too many dead miles during a shift. Those expenses are still claimable even though I'm not the most efficient driver.
2nd car is only to obtain the wonderful ato deduction of 5k @66c.
The analysis is to get a handle on the efficiency and stop the dead k's. Forces u to take a reality check/control the addiction that can creep in.
And because claiming the 5k method private trips not an issue if total kms over the 5k as cant claim any more.
Pie and coke u say, how will u replicate Dogs abs if u keep eating that stuff :wink:

GUberX

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
For tax purposes esp based on the 5k basis u need a reliable basis of estimation. What I do on an excel spreadsheet and for two cars is:
1) each day that I drive I note the starting and ending km's.
2) I note the private kms if say the next days ending kms does tally to that days starting eg I used the car to travel to golf (and technically should not claim the gst on the private fuel)
3) At the end of the pay period I sum up the sold kms but usually they are approx. half of "on the job" kms which is perfectly Ok as far as the ATO is concerned I would think (as that travel was incurred directly to derive that income)

In summary the ato allows u to use all business related kms travelled, not just those sold.

If I had one car I would simply use a diary log book but the above allows me to monitor my efficiency as per the screenshot below.
I understand that the best and easiest way is to note down the odometer reading when u leave home for an Uber session.
The reason that I had to go through all this trouble is because I didn't record anything.

UberDriverAU

It's not that hard really, it takes very little time to record all the details that you need (well under a minute per session). You only need to keep track of your business kms (start and end odometer readings for each session) because your odometer keeps track of both business and personal kms. It's then trivial to work out your percentage business use come tax time.

It may be easier, but won't necessarily see you get the largest tax deductions. If you go to a little effort with record keeping, then you can figure out which method will give you the largest tax deductions and choose that method. It's certainly not something you need to spend countless hours stewing over.

Potsy

It's not that hard really, it takes very little time to record all the details that you need (well under a minute per session). You only need to keep track of your business kms (start and end odometer readings for each session) because your odometer keeps track of both business and personal kms. It's then trivial to work out your percentage business use come tax time.

It may be easier, but won't necessarily see you get the largest tax deductions. If you go to a little effort with record keeping, then you can figure out which method will give you the largest tax deductions and choose that method. It's certainly not something you need to spend countless hours stewing over.
Agree....just a matter of starting the habit of record keeping which is easy to neglect