1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

On SSDI and driving for Uber

Discussion in 'Advice' started by wesp1960, Jul 9, 2018.

1. I called SSA and they want me to provide a tax I.D. # for Uber. I'm so confused because they want information that I don't know. It all depends on how many rides that I do. I don't know a per hour salary or the hours. What do I tell SSA about this? They tell me I have to report any new job and the wages monthly.

2. steveK2016

steveK2016

Driving:
    UberXL
    I never understood how its allowed to get paid Disability Insurance for not being able to work yet you can work Uber (or any other part time job) and still get disability... but i understand the necessity to an extent.

I'll do you a solid because I'm in a good mood...

Uber's Federal Tax ID number is 45-2647441

Their address for tax purposes is

Uber Technologies Inc
    1445 Market Street, Floor 4
    San Fransisco, CA 94103

This is based on my 2017 1099-MISC. I checked my 2016 1099-MISC and it shows an FIN of 80-0896455 but that one is addressed to Raiser Inc with the same address as above.

I would probably go with the 2017 FIN.

You report how much you make a month on average. If you have a $500 a month cap, then it doesnt matter how many rides you do: you do just enough to get to $499.98 and you stop driving.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
  3. Thanks for the reply sir. Well, I worked most of my life paying in Social Security taxes when I became disabled. Currently I'm on Social Security disability insurance which I do believe has something to do with the money that I paid in. I still have to pay my medicare premium and my part D premium out of my check . My disabilities don't allow me to work a full-time job or even part-time. I'm just talking about maybe an hour a day with Uber. Thank you for the information.

Wombat7 and reg barclay like this.
  4. steveK2016

steveK2016

Driving:
    UberXL
    Oh I don't disagree with cashing in on disability since we all pay into it.

Theres a max amount you can earn, whatever that max is, never exceed it and that is what you show as your income to the SSA. Im not sure what the minimum is, I just threw $500 for an even number.

wesp1960 likes this.
  5. I'm still asking State Farm what the premium increase will be for a rideshare endorsement. That will determine if it's even a viable option. Thanks for all the info.

6. UberBastid

UberBastid

I dunno what this has to do with your original question, but ...

I can make $1080 on SSDI per month. And, as self employed, it is based on the AFTER TAX AND EXPENSE income. I think it would be pretty had to have $1080 in profit ... in federally taxable PROFIT, per month on Uber. Check your Schedule C, divide it by twelve ... bet you're ok.

And, somebody said, they don't understand why someone on SSDI can work part time ... the answer to that is easy. Because it's the law.

Rakos and wesp1960 like this.
  7. steveK2016

steveK2016

Driving:
    UberXL
    Lol, obviously it's the law, I question the law itself. Either your disabled and unable to work or you are not disabled and able to work. Not a big fan of the Gray area, but I don't write legislature.

Meanwhile I certainly agree that you are entitled to take disability payments as we do pay into the program, just not the concept of unable to work yet still working...

LAbDog65 and wesp1960 like this.
  8. I think they go by what you did for a living. And if you can't do that or something different equal to that, can still receive benefits and work a few hours a month to supplement it.

NoPooPool likes this.
  9. UberBastid

UberBastid

SSDI defines 'gainful employment'. Which means that you are making enough to actually make a living. They define this, based on decades old stats, as a little over $1000 per month.
    Nice thing is that in the case of self employment, it is profit on Schedule C.

Another way around it is to form a partnership, or a corporation of which you are not an officer or partner. Have the 'employer' pay the corporation for services rendered, then have the corporation pay you $1000 per month for consulting fees. The balance of the profit has to remain in the corporation, be distributed to your wife as a managing consultant; or pay for your car, health insurance, vacation, etc.

All legal. Have a lawyer help you set it up.

wesp1960 likes this.
  10. Thanks again

11. UberBastid

UberBastid

when this whole thing came up for me about a year ago, I spent $100 and went and talked to the lawyer that helped me win my SSDI case in the first place. It's worth it. It's important ... if you do something wrong it can cost you - A LOT.
    I'm not a lawyer.
    Spend a buck and go talk to a disability atty.

12. On SSDI you can work up to 80 hours each month. You can make $850 per month without affecting your benefits . They consider UberLyft to be self employment. The rules are different if your employer takes your taxes out. It's really kinda complicated likr most .gov regulations . Google "working on disability" and download the PDF file from the ssa.gov site. Don't go to any of the commercial sites .They may have the wrong info. You can also get the pamphlet at your local SSA office. EDIT : you are allowed to make $850 per month after expenses. Go to the office and talk to a rep there .They tend to be much more knowledgeable than phone help. They'll walk you thru everything you need to do

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
    reg barclay, wesp1960 and SuzeCB like this.
  13. SuzeCB

SuzeCB

Driving:
    UberX
    All jokes about government workers aside, some agencies or office are actually very helpful. I've found this to be true of my local SS office and, believe it or not, an IRS office.

14. I'm more than satisfied with my local SSA office . If you're willing to stand in line for about 30 minutes before opening you can usually be out by 30 minutes after

wesp1960 and reg barclay like this.
  15. SEAL Team 5

SEAL Team 5

Driving:
    Livery
    It's called milking the system. Americans are the best at getting something for nothing. The old phrase "America owes me" is strong with this one.

image.jpg

Signal Twenty likes this.
  16. UberBeemer

UberBeemer Moderator

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Spare me. He worked and paid into the system. It's not milking the system unless he faked his disability.

17. The system is set up to help those of us on disability to attempt getting back into the workforce.

18. SuzeCB

SuzeCB

Driving:
    UberX
    There are all sorts of disabilities, and different types of limitations. It's actually quite difficult to get SSI or SSDI, and on both, if you can work, there is an allowance for that, with constant reporting and proving income (and expenses, if a job like Uber). Make over a certain amount, and they deduct from your next check.

It's not "milking" anymore than it would be if you availed yourself of the free medical care our VA provides to our veterans, SEAL Team 5SEAL Team 5 . Or increased pay while in the service for dependants...

Be careful when saying someone else is "milking the system". Talk like that gets finding for programs slashed, and you never know which program will be next, or what the fallout from not having these programs will be.

Being poor or disabled or elderly is not a crime, and people in these situations shouldn't be looked at and treated as criminals.

19. steveK2016

steveK2016

Driving:
    UberXL
    Any health care benefits a soldier recieves was paid for well in advanced through multiple combat tours in support of the Global War on Terrorism, regardless of any political belief in opposition of such military operations.

My point, which I cannot speak for SEAL Team 5SEAL Team 5 is that disability payment for being unable to work should mean you are unable to work. If you are able to work but keep it under a certain minimum, then you are not disabled to the point of not being able to work. If yiure able you are able to work 80 hours a month Ubering to make the minimum before SSDI cuts you off, you are most certainly able to work the 160 hours a month necessary to attempt to sustain your existence like the rest of America.

I understand people do get disabled and we do pay into the system, so we are entitled to recieve such insurance payment. However, the concept that you can be disabled enough to qualify for disability payments but not enough that you are physically capable of working is bull**** and theres more than likely more people milking that system then genuinely using it because they are simply too disabled to work.

wesp1960 likes this.
  20. woodywho

woodywho

THIS AGAIN???!!!
    Another JarHead (no pun) misinformed on how the system works. DONOT confuse disabilty or workers comp with ssi/ssdi ..yes you can defraud and fake your problem there but not with ssi/ssdi. It's impossible to defraud the system while trying to get ssi/ssdi. Most people that apply wait 3-6 yrs to get approved ..some have actually died while waiting for it because their health got the best of them. You have to do paperwork..see State Drs, your DR. get reviewed then go before a State Judge and another State Dr to get any assistance. And as SuzeCBSuzeCB stated it's the money that WE, not you put into the system over a 20-40 yr period..so even if it were possible and an applicant is defrauding for their own money,...why do you care!!

Yooper, wesp1960 and Ulikedew like this.